Black substrate in the Cities?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Minnesota

Old 05-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
Fish'InMN
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Black substrate in the Cities?

Hello folks,
I have two tanks going up at the moment, a 30g planted community and a 10g planted shrimp tank, and I would like to use a black substrate for at least the shrimp tank. 3M Colorquartz would be preferred, however I could live with "Black Beauty" or Soilmaster Select Charcoal. Would rather not buy "Tahitian Moon Sand".

I will be calling the distributors listed on 3M's site tomorrow, along with some Menards stores. Living in Minnetonka for the summer, just for reference.

Where have you folks found, or seen, these products?

Regards,
Marty

Oh, and I'm going to have a ton of Sagittaria subulata, Dwarf Sag., available real soon. I will not be using it in either of the new tanks, and it was quite invasive in the 15H. Probably two dozen or more plants, some as tall as 6". I am willing to trade for dwarf hairgrass or an equivalent, this will be foreground in the 30g.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #245
Even he, to whom most things that most people would think were pretty smart were pretty dumb, thought it was pretty smart. Douglas Adams
Fish'InMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 04:56 AM   #2
lumpyfunk
Green Water Master

PTrader: (32/100%)

there is a lesco dealer in Burnsville near hwy 13 and 35 W that can order soilmaster. I have also heard of using a product called black magic sand that is intended for masonry applications.
lumpyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
mjproost
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I purchased the soilmaster select charcoal at the Lesco in Edina. There are several Lesco dealers around the cities.

Sterling Supply in Minneapolis has the fine grade of 3M color quartz in black, but not the T-grade that is similar in size to Soilmaster. They wouldn't even order it. They also have lots of regular gravels for very cheap.

I remember seeing a black blasting grit at Fleet Farm a little while back.

There is also Eco-complete, but that is spendy.
mjproost is offline   Reply With Quote