Too much... too little... or just right?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
skaggst
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Too much... too little... or just right?

Hi, I am new to the forums, although have been reading them non-stop the last few months. I have started my first planted tank. I recently purchased a 4x54w T5H0 6700k. I have a 55 gallon tank, moderately planted in the last week or two. Most plants I have purchased are medium light, with the exception of a few Java ferns. I removed two of the 54 T5H0 bulbs. Replaced one with a Colormax 28w T5NO. I am running the 28w and one of the 54w about 10 hours on the same ballast. The other 54w I am running about 5 hours a day in cunjunction with the other lights.
I had read previously that with the T5H0, you can not count the wattage the same as the T5NO. That you need to times it by 1.37%. If this is correct, I am running 3.2 watts for 5 hours and 1.85 watts in two periods of 3 1/2 hours (Sunrise, sunset, per say). Does this keep me in the medium light range? I am prefering to not have to use C02 unless my plants are demanding it. I am dosing 1 capful of Excel daily and API leaf Zone weekly. Planning to order the Macro/Micro Dry Ferts mix this week from aquariumfertalizers.com. Does this sound like I am on the right track? I just added my upgraded light 4 days ago, and have been playing with ideas for the right amount of light. But honestly, I am kinda winging it, lol. Any advice would be great.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by skaggst; 02-26-2013 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: grammer
skaggst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184634
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Too much... too little... or just right?

2 t5hos is the most you will need. With that high of light you need co2/ferts as well or you will have tons of algae
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Too much... too little... or just right?

I would drop down to one bulb if you do that've pressurized co2
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
skaggst
Algae Grower

That sounds good. I will switch it out tomorrow. Should I leave them on all the time (meaning the 10 hours) or maybe run 2x28 (NO)Watts for the morning, evening times? Only one 28 is rather dim... is the 4 hours higher light enough to sustain good growth? Or should I bump that up a little? I have the moonlights that go on in the evening. I know they dont really do much other than please me, ll.Thanks so much for the replies.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
skaggst
Algae Grower

Wanted to say thanks on the lighting advice!! I run the 28watt 10 hours. Then the 28 watt along with the54 Watt together @ midday for 5 hours. Plants are showing good new growth, and zero signs of algae so far.
Thanks.

Tags
colormax, lighting, medium light, t5ho