Eheim vs Fluval Canister Filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Mumford
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Eheim vs Fluval Canister Filters

Hello all,

I've noticed a lot of you like the Eheim line of filters. Any reason you prefer those over the Fluval line?

Planning a 20 gallon long and am trying to decide between the Fluval 205 and an Eheim 2215.

Any reason I shouldn't pull the trigger on the Fluval?

- Mumford
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

To tell you the truth, I like fluval line. The new x06 line is so good!!!

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

I think eheim is better made, longer history,better quality, better flow for biological media, and doesn't take up as much space. Fx5's are just a big water pump, but with the fx6 out it'll be interesting how it is. Also, from all the forum reads I do i swear fx5 people don't know nearly as much about this hobby or fish as eheim people, haha.

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 02-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: ....
CrypticLifeStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Prepare yourselves for another Coke vs Pepsi discussion! Personally, I like the fact that the Eheim Classics have transparent canisters, so I can see at a glance how dirty it is, or if anybody has slipped by the prefilters. The Fluvals are just a black mystery box to me. I'm also not a fan of that ribbed vacuum cleaner hose they use, but that's more of an aesthetics thing.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Delexboarfoot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

IMO Eheim wins hands down every time. They work for a start. They are far cheaper to run. They requite less servicing. They are VERY well made and will last for longer. No contest, get a Eheim.
Delexboarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Mumford
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Eheim vs Fluval Canister Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delexboarfoot View Post
IMO Eheim wins hands down every time. They work for a start. They are far cheaper to run. They requite less servicing. They are VERY well made and will last for longer. No contest, get a Eheim.
So Eheim seems to be kicking some butt eh?

- Mumford
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
exv152
Wannabe Guru

I just shelved my last fluval filter (205) about two or three weeks ago because it began leaking at the seal and nothing I tried fixed the issue. Also, I hate the fact that tons of debris comes flying out of the fluval when I reconnect it, and I blame the patented ribbed-hose design. I found the hosing to be flimsy; cracks easily and doesn't wear as well as the green eheim hosing. I also don't like some of the design features on the fluval; like the hand operated primer lever, the auto-stop valve, and the hose elbow. I find some of these features to be more of a hinderance than a benefit, and they don't seem to stand up to the test of time like the simplier more straight-forward design of Eheims. Just my two cents.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Fishmommy
Planted Member

Default Eheim vs Fluval Canister Filters

I have tons of Eheims - i have tried others but always came back. That said, all filters have issues but i feel the eheims are the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Everything about eheim is harder for me to find. Just on that basis I would prefer the fluval.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delexboarfoot View Post

IMO Fluval wins hands down every time. They work for a start. They are far cheaper to run. They requite less servicing. They are VERY well made and will last for longer. No contest, get a Fluval.

Honestly, both brands are great. Pick the one you are comfortable with.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
mo2vation
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Eheim / Fluval

Coke / Pepsi

Nikon / Canon

Hatfield / McCoy

Its endless.

I have both.

I have 8 tanks - so I just sold my Fluvals so I can swap parts and filters back and forth as I clean and as I move stuff.

If you were to pile all the parts of a Fluval *06 onto the floor, and then pile all the parts of an Eheim classic next to it - the Fluval pile would be about 4 times as high. Hoses with elbows to get them over the tank, a big double tap, baskets, some kind of pre-frame thing, foam, plungers, etc, etc.. .its endless.

Fluval makes a fine filter. My 204 was the quietest filter I've ever had or seen or owned... People talk about filters being dead quiet - this one was. My Fluval 305 I sold 4 days after I bought it... it was way, way too noisy.

That said, Fluval and Eheim (classic) couldn't be further apart in their thought process or how they're designed or made. Classic: in at the bottom, out at the top. Holds TONS of bio media, is simple, is quiet, normal hoses, brilliant double tap design makes for bone-dry moves, rescaping and cleaning. Easy to prime and start... start the siphon, fill the can, plug it in. I don't get these people that find an Eheim classic tough to start. Easy to clean. Pre-filter in the tank, pop the top, rinse the sponges in aquarium water, re-stack. Takes 5 minutes. I don't get these people that find a Classic hard to clean.

I've become an Eheim guy. I have 10 of them now. I've tried several others, and I just love them. The classic is preferred for me, but I do have a few Eccos.

-Ken
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Neither, get a Rena Filstar.....

I have had plenty of both Eheim and Fluval filters over the years. Currently I run a Fluval and Rena Filstar. Looking at a pair of Eheim Pro's for the 220 Discus tank. IMO they are all decent, have large media baskets for versatility, and will get the job done. Comes down to personal preference and budget.

And Pepsi without question!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
bababooey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
They are far cheaper to run.
Eheim is actually more energy efficient and uses less power for the same rated filter. Not really an opinion - fact.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
blackwidow
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/94%)

I dont have Fluval myself so i cant talk much about Fluval, but i have 6 eheim, i would not use anything than eheim
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Dan Knowlton
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

For me -

Three tanks - three Eheims. And the Fluval is sitting out in the garage gathering dust - just too many problems with the seals.

Dan K.
Dan Knowlton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.