flood light LED's - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #166
Turtlemaxxx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbrina View Post
So I ordered this led floodlight for a 10 gallon and I know I need to attach it to a power cord but I am unsure how. I have a few 12v computer power cords lying around and I believe someone in this thread mentioned using them, but I don't really know what to do. Buy some wire strippers, strip down the plastic coating so the pieces are exposed? How do I connect them to one another and make it neat and like it's one piece? Wrap it up in electrical tape?

Any help at all would be great. Thank you!
That is a 12V DC flood light. you cannot just hook it up to a plug. you need to hook it up to a power supply. You overpaid too. return it if u can and get an AC model.

As for the 30" depth, let me get out my camera and show you a 30watt over my 125, 25" ish depth. I have no meter though so it will just be to show how bright the thing is.

The Fraternity of Dirt #111
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
25 gallon dirty
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192749
Turtlemaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #167
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaxxx View Post
That is a 12V DC flood light. you cannot just hook it up to a plug. you need to hook it up to a power supply. You overpaid too. return it if u can and get an AC model.

As for the 30" depth, let me get out my camera and show you a 30watt over my 125, 25" ish depth. I have no meter though so it will just be to show how bright the thing is.
I was wondering as I asked a similar question earlier, can't a DC light be wired to an 12v DC adapter? They're like 5$ on [Ebay Link Removed] I've had to wire a few dc connections in the past and this is what I did then.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #168
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

If you read the product description, it actually says AC source so simply wiring up an extension cable should work fine. I also find the price to be on par or slightly more by only $1-$2 more shipped. Its way easier to deal with sellers through Amazon than Ebay, the internet wild west...

Product Specifications
Part Number 3701WH-12V
Colorcool white
FinishWhite
Power Source ac
Voltage110.00
Wattage10.00
Item Package Quantity1
Item Dimensions

regarding an LED light for a 30" depth tank, you will certainly consider a lamp that's over 30W for sure.

I get medium /low light over my 20g high aquarium (16" height) with a 20w fixture and most certainly need at least two on this tank.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #169
Turtlemaxxx
Algae Grower

Guilty, I did not read the whole listing. But I would have stayed clear of a post that says both since that would mean they could send me a DC and then I might have trouble returning it. I got my 10 watt for $12 shipped, that is why I said the price was high.

The Fraternity of Dirt #111
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
25 gallon dirty
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192749
Turtlemaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #170
h4n
Hobbuiness Man

PTrader: (672/100%)

That amazon add is all mislabeled.
It says DC everywhere and then the product description says AC....
oh well it amazon much easier to return if you cant use it.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #171
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

MODERATOR NOTE-

Just as an FYI, the reason we don't allow links to auction sites is because sellers get free advertizing and can drive up their prices/bids that way.

Not to mention that if you actually copy and paste the pertinent info into the thread, then the info is still here for people to review even after the ad may be long gone.

I'm going to request people who've linked or referred to any particular auctions revise their posts accordingly- thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #172
estill
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

My little girl is asking about her own aquarium. We are thinking about letting her get a 2.5 or 5 gallon and letting her get the glo fish that she wants. My thought is to go with the 10W RGB with remote, but my fear is it is going to be to bright. The remote appears to have up/down buttons on it. Do they dim the lights?
estill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #173
Kelbrina
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaxxx View Post

Oy! I went to the hardware store with the light and asked them what I should do and they sold me a straight blade plug to hook it up to. Once I got it wired correctly, super-double-checking the right wires went to the right part, I plugged it in to see, there was a spark, and nothing happened.

This is the
plug plug
they sold me.

The cardboard box the LED came in says 10.5 watt LED waterproof outdoor light 10-30 volt DC, 3701WH-30V DC.

Did I ruin my light? What's the proper thing for me to do now?

20g Hex Community Tank | 5g CRS Tank | 10g Dwarf Puffer Tank | 20g High Community Tank x 2 | 5g Beta Tank
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #174
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbrina View Post
Oy! I plugged it in to see, there was a spark, and nothing happened. The cardboard box the LED came in says 10-30 volt DC. Did I ruin my light? What's the proper thing for me to do now?
A/C & D/C are two completely different creatures. The proper "thing" would have been to wire your light to a D/C power supply (and;or D/C power adapter). 110 - 120 volts of alternating current will definitely fry a 10-30 volt direct current driven light.

*As an afterthought (re-reading your posts)... I am presuming the input voltage for your light is D/C. Is there any mention at all on the box (or on the label of the light) about input voltage being A/C? If indeed your light is designed for A/C input, you may have wired your plug wrong (a lot of your foreign made electrical items use different color wires - e.g., green, yellow, brown - instead of the usual 'red & black' commonly used within the states), making a simple wiring process somewhat confusing.

Last edited by wastewater; 02-24-2013 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: After thought about listed input voltage
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #175
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/98%)

Need medium light on 40 breeder. Light will be hung about 19" from substrate growing Dwarf Hair grass belem (medium light plant) with occasional excel (metrecide 14).

Do you think 2 30 watts will work? If so can you pm me some good ones of E of bay with 6500k-7000k kelvin (AC cord). I can add floaters if light is slightly more then expected.

Thanks!
Sean
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #176
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

This is an awesome thread....I think I might get a 10W LED flood light for my 10 gal shrimp tank that I want to setup.....that would put me in the medium light range correct? Just want to make sure I understood what I read
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #177
ApplestoApples
Algae Grower

Default flood light LED's

I have a 10w on my 10 gallon but I ordered it in warm white not cool white and it is really yellow will it still grow my plants or do I need to get a cool white?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
ApplestoApples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #178
Mocia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I'm interested in getting two 10w floods for two 10g tanks but was concerned with both the Kelvin and light spread being too wide. How high did you both hang your fixtures?
you can buy a small-angle floodlight to solve the problem.
Mocia. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #179
Mocia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplestoApples View Post
I have a 10w on my 10 gallon but I ordered it in warm white not cool white and it is really yellow will it still grow my plants or do I need to get a cool white?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
yellow is close to red, easier for plant to absorb than cool white.
Mocia. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #180
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
If indeed your light is designed for A/C input, you may have wired your plug wrong (a lot of your foreign made electrical items use different color wires)
See post #13 for proper match of colors.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.