"No-tech" pico jars/bowls
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
amyhartofey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post "No-tech" pico jars/bowls

Hello! This is my first post after a few weeks of lurking

These "tanks" are basically experiments where I wanted to see what I could achieve on essentially no budget. I've only been in the fish keeping game about 7 months, gradually building up from an unplanted betta cube to planted nano tanks. I can't afford to go any bigger and currently 2/3 of my tanks are second-hand or cast-offs. (Next year, god-willing, I should be working for Real Money and then I'm gonna go nuts)

Anyway, I saw lots of incredible pico tanks on here and other forums and I love them. I also hate throwing out perfectly good plant clippings and I happened to have a ton of jars lying around so, about three weeks ago I made these:

Each contains a thin layer of gravel and a couple of pond snails. The round one:

... has a small round piece of plastic mesh with java moss sewn in. This picture is about a week old and now the moss is growing along with a lot of thin, hairy algae (some of which can be seen on the left here)

The square one:

... is pretty damn tiny as you can see! It houses a tiny ambulia cutting which I've left to float - most of the floating ambulia in my other tank has put down roots to reach the gravel and I want to see if this will/can do the same.

There's only one snail in here and it seems to be doing pretty well:

(The water needed a change!)

I'm doing a water change about once a fortnight, plucking out the snail and swilling around some fresh water from my fish tanks. Everything so far looking healthy if algaeish.

Neither jar is getting any direct sunlight but the garden is pretty sunny. I was worried about overheating the snails!

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for making these more interesting, or increasing the likelihood of success? Am I doing anything drastically wrong?

I also have another wee bowl set-up that I threw together yesterday (it's much prettier than these!) but I don't have the photos yet. Watch this space

Thanks for your interest
amyhartofey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambulia, java moss, nano bowl, pico bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.