Lots of pics from Greenwich Aquaria in Greenwich CT
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Connecticut

Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Lots of pics from Greenwich Aquaria in Greenwich CT

Even though I live about 5 blocks from this place, today was my second time in the store. It's definitely the nicest fish store in the area. As with anything Greenwich, the prices are on the high side but the selection is pretty good. They mostly cater to salt water enthusiasts but there are a few freshwater tanks with some cool fish and a giant plant tank. They had tiny Celestial Danios which was nice to see.

Here are pics of the main plant tank....they inject Co2.

At the front of the store they have a nice 140 gallon display tank with driftwood, rocks and discus. The driftwood is filled with algae but it's done on purpose....looks really good!

And....if you are in the area make sure to stop by Chicken Joe's which is about half a mile down the road. Get the "high school special".

hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)
Default Re: Lots of pics from Greenwich Aquaria in Greenwich CT

Very nice!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

WOW, I gotta head down there 1 day.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Ozymandius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Been meaning to go there. I always hear good things about them.
Ozymandius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I was just there today, too. Didn't it seem like there was a lot of algae in that plant tank? There was a pot of baby tears that was almost completely engulfed.

They do have some very nice freshwater fish, though. Boraras uropthalmoides, ember tetras, one very cute dwarf puffer. The food selection is also pretty nice, with things I don't see at the local Petsmart.

I almost took home a betta. I need to stop looking at them; I always want to take home the white ones.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
I was just there today, too. Didn't it seem like there was a lot of algae in that plant tank? There was a pot of baby tears that was almost completely engulfed.

They do have some very nice freshwater fish, though. Boraras uropthalmoides, ember tetras, one very cute dwarf puffer. The food selection is also pretty nice, with things I don't see at the local Petsmart.

I almost took home a betta. I need to stop looking at them; I always want to take home the white ones.
Yeah, some of the plants did have algae but I'm used to seeing either anubias or swords in most pet stores. Was pretty excited to see various rotalas, hygros and baby tears. But yeah, some parts of this tank did have algae on it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)
Default Re: Lots of pics from Greenwich Aquaria in Greenwich CT

I notice most LFS plants that have a vary of plants have algae.

My LFS always get nice plants in but they don't have a good setup so after about a week or two its all algae or melted... so idea why they just don't out some money into the tanks.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

This place is the best I've been to. There is another one in Greenwich I think its called house of fins but I'm not positive. They arent as nice but still worth a look. Oh and I took some pics of Greenwich Aquaria too not anything you didnt cover just diff angles

kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
This place is the best I've been to. There is another one in Greenwich I think its called house of fins but I'm not positive. They arent as nice but still worth a look. Oh and I took some pics of Greenwich Aquaria too not anything you didnt cover just diff angles

Cool pics.

yeah, the other one is called House of Fins but it's EXTREMELY expensive. They have CRS there but they run about 14 bucks a pop.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
yeah, the other one is called House of Fins but it's EXTREMELY expensive. They have CRS there but they run about 14 bucks a pop.
Yeah I noticed that. Is there any other local places that have better prices on those shrimp?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjombeejoe View Post
Yeah I noticed that. Is there any other local places that have better prices on those shrimp?
Not to my knowledge. I'll occasionally sell some CRS/CBS culls to locals for 3.50 a piece and I think you can find similar prices on craigslist if you look in NYC.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool I'll have to hit you up when my new tank is ready for shrimp.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Understood. And I guess I would be dipping any purchases anyway - I'm just babied by swapping with the NY folks. Swap meets are always going to make the stores look bad.

You should check out the Long Island or New Jersey lfs tour threads if you want more plant variety. I saw lots of stuff too advanced for me there, high tech plants that like CO2 and so forth.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Default Lots of pics from Greenwich Aquaria in Greenwich CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
Understood. And I guess I would be dipping any purchases anyway - I'm just babied by swapping with the NY folks. Swap meets are always going to make the stores look bad.

You should check out the Long Island or New Jersey lfs tour threads if you want more plant variety. I saw lots of stuff too advanced for me there, high tech plants that like CO2 and so forth.
I've only been living in CT for about 2 years but I grew up in NJ. Being 15 minutes away from Absolutely Fish has definitely spoiled me. Good thing is that my parents still live there so I'm always back and forth...the ADA store in Ridgewood is on the way which is awesome. Never checked out Long Island since I hate going there but might give it a shot soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aw ... I want to get out to Ridgewood, but the only day I'm off is Sunday, and half the stores in New Jersey are closed so it's not worth driving out for a tour. Everyone says it's such a cool store.