Fluval FX5 Canister Filter? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #31
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Noticed you mentioned UV: I actually have an extra loop built in for UV. I haven't added a UV filter yet, but from what I have learned they won't work well unless the flow rate is low enough. With a dedicated loop you could adjust the flow separately. Caveat: I haven't used this thing with 3 loops yet, so don't know for sure what kind of flow through you would get. I think it would be fine though. The FX5 really is a beast.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
Noticed you mentioned UV: I actually have an extra loop built in for UV. I haven't added a UV filter yet, but from what I have learned they won't work well unless the flow rate is low enough. With a dedicated loop you could adjust the flow separately. Caveat: I haven't used this thing with 3 loops yet, so don't know for sure what kind of flow through you would get. I think it would be fine though. The FX5 really is a beast.
Yeah I think it would be fine as well.

Do you like the Ista mix max inline reactor? Are you seeing a lot of bubbles in your tank? Does not look like it from the pictures?

I heard it kinda loud when actively injecting CO2? It going to be in a closed stand. Trying to decide if I should just use co2 atomizer diffuser. I read the reviews about them on this site, but like to hear from someone that has just set it up.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #33
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Your tank looks great. All your plumbing is great.

Few questions.

What size PVC is that 1/2, 3/4? unable to tell from picture. - Answered my own question on this one, helps to read your journal :-)
The output from your canister is that split line going to the manifold and one direct to the tank or do you have everything into the manifold? If that case does it not cause flow to be really low?

What type of CO2 reactor are you using?

Thanks again.
The filter output goes directly to the bottom of the manifold. (BTW, flow starts at the bottom to minimize the possibility of trapping air in the manifold). I am sure it reduces flow some, but i tried to minimize the number of corners and also keep the PVC diameter large for sections that carry all the flow.

The main sections are 1" PVC. The key was finding the Tees that are 1" straight through, with a 1/2" section teeing off of it. This way if I want more total flow I can open up a ball valve (partially or completely) and send the water through 1" PVC the whole way. This also lets me replace or remove the reactor or heater pretty easily while everything is running.

I chose to glue almost everything, which I may regret, but at least it doesn't leak. The only things that are screwed on are the hose barbs. That way I can replace them with different sizes if i need to. Use lots of tephlon tape and the threads and they wont leak.

The problem with using threaded fittings everywhere is that things don't come out at the right angle. You can add a union, which i think allows you to rotate it, but that adds length, and as you can see, things are already pretty tight.

The CO2 reactor is the Ista Mix Max. They make two sizes, and I think I have the "medium" one. With adjustable flow through it its seems fine. My tank is very small for an FX5 though, so if you need to dissolve lots of CO2 you might want the larger one. To decide between this type and the inline atomizers, you need to choose sides in the "misting vs. dissolving" CO2 debate. I honestly have no idea which one plants like better. Some people say its better to dissolve CO2 completely (like the mix max), and some people say it's better to send the tiny CO2 bubbles into the tank.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 02-23-2013 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Removed Amazon referral link
ETK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #34
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Yeah I think it would be fine as well.

Do you like the Ista mix max inline reactor? Are you seeing a lot of bubbles in your tank? Does not look like it from the pictures?

I heard it kinda loud when actively injecting CO2? It going to be in a closed stand. Trying to decide if I should just use co2 atomizer diffuser. I read the reviews about them on this site, but like to hear from someone that has just set it up.
I like the mix max, but it does make a little noise. It would be even quieter if i turned the flow through it down more. None of the bubbles get through if the flow is right: it really is 100% dissolved.

Its just a plastic reactor, so it doesn't feel like it will last forever. I was nervous tightening the hose clamps on the fittings, but so far so good.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #35
marcnc
Planted Member

Thank you for sharing, most helpful. Yeah I am torn between the one you use or just setup cerges reactor. cerges reactor will cost a bit more, but might be better in the long run not sure. I want to be able to set it and forget it kinda thing, so I don't go out of town for week and worry if it might leak.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #36
ETK
Planted Member

FYI, just saw this thread about the mix max:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=251802

Personally I haven't had any problems with it, but you def want to read this before installing it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #37
hiyabrad
Algae Grower

What are the opinions that a FX5 might be too much flow for a 75T? I am also looking at a Fluval 406. I am going from a 26g to a 75T and going to be buying a new canister and want the best.
hiyabrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #38
ETK
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyabrad View Post
What are the opinions that a FX5 might be too much flow for a 75T? I am also looking at a Fluval 406. I am going from a 26g to a 75T and going to be buying a new canister and want the best.
I am using an FX5 on a 48 Gallon, and I love it. Some people will call this way too much, but for my application I think it is about right. My journal has details. In a nutshell: FX5 is rated at 563 gallons per hour without any media. Some people target 10x tank volume as ideal turnover per hour for a planted tank.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #39
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

I have an FX5 on my 75G, love it. Keep your eyes peeled for aquarium stuff on CL, I picked mine up for $125.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #40
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

It looks they will release the FX6 soon:
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...er-filter.html

This updated version goes along with all their other products like the Aquaclear, Canisters etc.

FX5 price drop, clearance sale on the horizon?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #41
VAtanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

ETK that manifold is beautiful...I see a trip to home depot for me in the morning....Is that all 1.5 piping? and second question do you mind if I use your design?
VAtanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #42
ETK
Planted Member

Thanks! Sure, go ahead and use the design. See post 33 in this thread for more details. Also my tank journal. The manifold is 1" PVC, with 1/2" for the device loops. Post pics of what you make, too!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #43
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Ive only ever owned Rena XP's and have had no complaints *touch wood* The Fluval FX-5 just seems a little too much "Oopmh" for it to be a good biological filter. If it were me i would get 2x Rena XP-3 or the "Large" as they call it now, and still have some change in your pocket.
The Brits have the FX-6 which is even more "Oomph" but are focused on being more energy efficient.
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...er-filter.html

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #44
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
Thanks! Sure, go ahead and use the design. See post 33 in this thread for more details. Also my tank journal. The manifold is 1" PVC, with 1/2" for the device loops. Post pics of what you make, too!
Are the ball valves for each device that will connect to the manifold 1/2 or 3/4? Cannot tell from the picture if maybe they are 3/4 with reducer connected to the 1 inch.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Love my FX5 and would recommend it to anyone needing a filter of this capacity. My own tests tell me it pumps a little over 600 gph fully loaded with media. I won't get into the debate about Eheim vs. Fluval because it just reduces to a pissing match at the end of the day, but I chose the FX5 for the build quality and the capacity for the money. There's plenty of comparison info on the web between this filter and the equivalent Eheim and the bottom line is that you might get a slightly larger bio capacity with the Eheim, but you'll pay significantly more. For planted tanks? Why? Add to that their pockmarked customer service as of late and the price of replacement parts - meh...Fluval all the way.

Someone mentioned replacing their ribbed hoses and I seriously question why? What's wrong with them that they need replacing?

I run mine on a 40b with a DIY 1" ID spray bar.

BTW In.A.Box: I have a CFS500 too. It's not a terrible filter either. Too bad it got all the bad publicity with the top issues. For $60 it can't be beat.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.