LED lighting worth the $$$$ - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #46
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

LED lighting worth the $$$$

[quote{buildmyled.com

i honestly think they're blowing the competition away with the pricing.[/quote]

They definitely have the customization aspect down, but IMO they cater for smaller/shallower tanks. For someone wanting more intensity they lack in that department and to get the intensity you have to buy more fixtures which brings up the cost. If they had wattage options that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I've seen some folks chime in saying that LEDs are not proven to grow plants, or that LEDs can't grow red plants. I have attached a couple of photos. The first photo is from 10 days ago, shortly after I switched from a Finnex Ray II to a Finnex Fugeray ( lower light ) on my 60p. I switched because I got tired of trimming 300+ stems of blyxa every month and a half or so. The second and third photos are from a few minutes ago. Normally I clean the tank, replant stauro that has come up and do some trimming before snapping pictures, but I felt I needed to post this. You can see that my plants are STILL growing great, despite having half the PAR as the Ray II. I also added some ludwigia red I had laying around to grow out as an experiment in my tank. You can clearly see that LEDs grow red plants fine, especially considering my tank is not high light anymore. The very last photo is from before my last trim.
While I do not agree with anyone that says LED cannot grow plants since that's ridiculous. What I do agree with is that it cannot make colors pop like pop like a T5HO can. Not to mention optimizing even further is next to nil without a lot of work.

Your tank and plants look very nice and healthy, so props for that, but the plant you are showing is naturally a true Red plant and as you've said the tank is only 14in H.

Ludwigia Repens X Arciata and a plant I don't even consider a Red Plant:

from my iP5 via Tapa 2

The Junkie

Last edited by mrkookm; 02-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: ......
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #47
NevetsG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Are you going to have CO2? A nice baby tears carpet can really benefit from it. I have seen some people go DSM and use medium light with no CO2 and still get it to grow nicely, though. It will be a rough transition from DSM to submersed with no CO2, though. A Ray II will give you medium light, however.
Yea i am trying to figure out what type of co2 system to use. My other thought in lighting would have been the marineland double bright led. I dont know much about light fixtures and such. what exactly does DSM mean. Sorry.
NevetsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #48
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Im going to bump this thread because Im VERY interested in this subject. Im thinking of moving to ray 2s from my T8s but red colours mean alot to me. I want to know which plants would not show colours? You can check my tank journal in my sig. Im growing Rotala Mini Butterfly, Rotala Macranda 'Japan Red' and Rotala sp 'H ra' to their max colours. The only thing limiting them atm is space and shade from other plants. My 45 gal has a 15" depth. I had a T5HO but it didnt make any difference. So I sold it. Now that I have T8, I really dont want to change bulb every what? 4 or 8 months? I want to go LED BUT in the end I dont want my lights to be a limiting factor (considering my nutrients, co2 and tank condition are at their peak/ideal).

So when you guys say cant pop out the true colours of some of the hard to grow plants, which ones are they?

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #49
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Im going to bump this thread because Im VERY interested in this subject. Im thinking of moving to ray 2s from my T8s but red colours mean alot to me. I want to know which plants would not show colours? You can check my tank journal in my sig. Im growing Rotala Mini Butterfly, Rotala Macranda 'Japan Red' and Rotala sp 'H ra' to their max colours. The only thing limiting them atm is space and shade from other plants. My 45 gal has a 15" depth. I had a T5HO but it didnt make any difference. So I sold it. Now that I have T8, I really dont want to change bulb every what? 4 or 8 months? I want to go LED BUT in the end I dont want my lights to be a limiting factor (considering my nutrients, co2 and tank condition are at their peak/ideal).

So when you guys say cant pop out the true colours of some of the hard to grow plants, which ones are they?
Full spectrum LED's are becoming more popular and should bridge the concerns about some LED's being too flat spectrum wise. If you have a lot of oranges, yellows, reds you are trying to pop - you may consider supplementing a Ray 2 with a MonsterRay or a Current Satellite LED+. Another option is BuildmyLED.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #50
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Full spectrum LED's are becoming more popular and should bridge the concerns about some LED's being too flat spectrum wise. If you have a lot of oranges, yellows, reds you are trying to pop - you may consider supplementing a Ray 2 with a MonsterRay or a Current Satellite LED+. Another option is BuildmyLED.
Yeah full spectrum seems to be the next big thing. A lot of reefers are going full spectrum as it can look incredible with the right mix of lights. Finding that mix is tricky though.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #51
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Yeah full spectrum seems to be the next big thing. A lot of reefers are going full spectrum as it can look incredible with the right mix of lights. Finding that mix is tricky though.
I am guessing within a year or two, full spectrum but more powerful units with remote control adjustments will be available. Current already puts out a full spectrum, remote control LED unit for freshwater that is 30-40 par at 12". Given some time, I fully expect 60+ PAR @ 12" capable units at a reasonable price range in the near term.

Think about it. It's only been the past year really that affordable freshwater LED's have hit the market - Finnex largely leading the charge there. Before that, LED's were mostly a bit of DIY fun for those who like to solder or terribly expensive commercial models more adapted to the larger, and more light demanding, reef community.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #52
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You mean this?

http://www.aquavibrant.com/lighting/...onsterray.html

It seems to be cheaper than the ray 2. Ill look at that par chart for it. How much par do you need at the bottom to grow the most demanding foreground plants? Im growing repens, HC and dgh no problem with T8s.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #53
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
You mean this?

http://www.aquavibrant.com/lighting/...onsterray.html

It seems to be cheaper than the ray 2. Ill look at that par chart for it. How much par do you need at the bottom to grow the most demanding foreground plants? Im growing repens, HC and dgh no problem with T8s.
The MonsterRay is simply an additional fixture to add full spectrum to the tank. Improves visual color. Not really meant to grow plants by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 AM   #54
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Just an FYI re: an interesting product/company...
http://www.horticulturesource.com/ke...on-sun-p12778/
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #55
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Just an FYI re: an interesting product/company...
http://www.horticulturesource.com/ke...on-sun-p12778/
Save your money and buy a PAR38 if you want the spot look.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #56
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ive heard good stuff about par. But I want my whole tank to be illuminated and most importantly be able to grow some demanding plants. Not only that but Ive seen people hang the pars waaaay above their tank. I dont dont like that look, I just want it to hide underneath my hood. Personally, I dont like the finnex look either, I would rather have a big fixture with all the features in it. But in the end its performance over looks.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #57
Bongox3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ok...here's a straight rookie question...as having read this thread I'm still confused... I want to carpet my tank (considering glosso, or clover, or drwf bb tears, not sure - but love the general look) .... It's a standard 120... Nothing wazoo about it...co2 and fertz ok... I'm not broke but far from rich.... For this, which is going to be superior LED or t5ho... I have the t5h0, but payday comes every 15 days - and well $$$ is part of what we do... Please don't hate me for asking - just simply advise in dumbed down simple dude terms... Sorry, not trying to rob the thread... Pvt message is awesome too - just seemed fitting here...
Bongox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I think you are missing the subtlety of this light a bit.. no it is not cheap (and apparently a bit noisy) but the multi=chip high power (PAR) density is good for a "look see" in my book.. There are multi channels on the chip .. As I said just an FYI...
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #59
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
I think you are missing the subtlety of this light a bit.. no it is not cheap (and apparently a bit noisy) but the multi=chip high power (PAR) density is good for a "look see" in my book.. There are multi channels on the chip .. As I said just an FYI...
I'm not sure what you are saying about multi-chip? The only positive reviews I've read on the forum in regards to the Kessil Amazon Sun units were from pretty obvious shills. If you want that style light, a PAR38 with 40 degree beam @ 5500k with a flexible arm and a clip will be more than comparable.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #60
Jnad
Planted Tank Obsessed

Look at post number 22 in this link, just using cheap household led bulbs with 6500K
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=266170&page=2

Jnad
Jnad is offline   Reply With Quote