New Blackberry and Yellow Fire Shrimps Not Very Colorful...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
lotzodomo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Blackberry and Yellow Fire Shrimps Not Very Colorful...

So I recently ordered a 24 Dwarf Blackberry Shrimps and 12 Yellow Fire Shrimps from REMOVED VENDOR REVIEW and they came in not 30 minutes ago of this post. I was super excited to open up the box but when I did it was extremely disappointing. First of all there were at least 3 DOA in each bag, two of them were actually berried too! What a shame. But what I'm more concerned about is the color. Here are some pictures.

When you see this on their website, you'd think you would be getting something somewhat similar in color right?

Yellow Fire Shrimps-

Website picture:

What I actually got:

Dwarf Blackberry Shrimps-

Website picture:

What I actually got:

I've been told before that shrimps tend to lose some color during shipping but will come back once they're settled into the tank but these are NOWHERE near the colors they should be, or at least as advertised. If you can kind of see, two of the Blackberries are completely crystal clear. Had I wanted light colored shrimps I would have just stuck with the red cherry shrimps I had before... I was going to call in and talk to them about it as soon as I got the shipment but their office won't be open until Monday. I'll post back once I talk to them and get a response about the DOAs and off colored shrimps. Stay away from their site if you're looking to buy shrimp!! I did not spend over $100 for gray colored shrimps.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 02-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Vendor reviews not permitted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/96%)

These are looking really bad to me... Black/yellow doesnt look like that.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

You should have done a search on that company before you bought
Old 02-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

hmm... suspicious as the stock photo used had one Orange eye'd shrimp.... not really a neocaridina...

Shipped shrimp are always stressed and their colors will swing wildly. Also they are on a clear/translucent background so their colors dont show well. if you placed them in a breederbox loaded with java moss, it will help.

Also, drop some prime into the bags immediately upon reciept (after taking your photos for doa claims) to neutralize the ammonia in the bags.

Hopefully the seller will resolve this with you by refund or reship.

good luck
Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
lotzodomo
Algae Grower

I agree, I should have done more research before buying from them. Lesson learned.

To top it off, I just wrote out a huge e-mail to them with a bunch of pictures and guess what. The only contact e-mail they have on their website doesn't work. And how perfect it is to get my shipment on a Friday, when they are closed Fri-Sun so I can't call them at all. What a joke. If they refuse to do anything about this when I call next week I'll most likely take it up to my credit card company and see if they'll do anything about this stupid kind of fraud. I could have gotten better cheap shrimp from my local aquarium shop had I wanted gray shrimp!!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

the pic they have for blackberry look like blacktiger to me and that is kinda false advertising, and they yellow dont look good either. the "blackberry" should not look yellow at all. there is no amount of stress that would cause something that dark to totaly change color like that. and a couple that should be yellow fire almost have an orange tint to them. and it looks like at least 2 of the "blackberry" have bacterial infections so i wouldnt house them with other shrimp. but yeah you always have to do research when buying online and azgardens has terrible feedback.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default New Blackberry and Yellow Fire Shrimps Not Very Colorful...

They look like you got very poor stock. Half look dead. I'll be interested to see what they look like after acclimation.

My policy: ABFTPT.

Always buy from the planted tank.

Be it any one of our awesome shrimpers, we take care of our own.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
lotzodomo
Algae Grower

Added more pictures. Yeah this is ridiculous, I feel like there are so many mixed shrimp in the Blackberry batch I received. Two of them are most definitely regular ghost shrimp that I can get anywhere for like 10 cents each! they are completely clear. No way they're Blackberries
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

REMOVED VENDOR REVIEW

Tons of DOA, lack of communication, what you see isnt what you get.

Not gonna lie they all look like caridina babaulti to me for both packages.

WHat they have advertised as dwarf bb shrimp are actually btoe.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 02-22-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Vendor reviews not permitted
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
amygirl11
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have read nothing but bad reviews on them. I agree, TPT sellers rock
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
lotzodomo
Algae Grower

REMOVED VENDOR REVIEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Tons of DOA, lack of communication, what you see isnt what you get.

Not gonna like they all look like caridina babaulti to me.

WHat they have advertised as dwarf bb shrimp are actually btoe.
Yeah, I'm still pretty new even though I signed up for the forum here two years ago. I had forgotten about this website! I'll have to dig through and read a lot more before doing anything else with my tanks from now on haha. This is only my second time purchasing livestock online, and the first time I bought something they were only plants. >_< I should've known better.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 02-22-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Vendor reviews not permitted
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

color does fade from shipping and does take a few days to get back sometimes. I sold shrimp at a shrimp meet a month ago and bagged them the night before and even my PFR's were almost clear by morning but colored up nice for the buyer within a day. I never judge shrimp by the color in the bag. Even buying from a LFS, they loose color in the few hours while they are in the bag.

With that said, I doubt those pics are taken from their stock as they look like a miss-match of stolen google images. Look at speedies pics, you can see consistency throughout them, even in different tanks.

That site does have bad reviews all over and the fact they even sold you berried adults shows they don't know or care. Shipped shrimp do best when small juvi, unsexable size. That way they ship better, they acclimate better, and you get the full life out of a shrimp. If I sell you an adult, honestly, I couldn't tell if it's 6 months old or 18 months old and about to die. If you get juvi's that are 2 months old, you know you will get a good year or two of life of them.

Hope you get in touch with them, get a refund and buy from sellers on here.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
amygirl11
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Also look at the pics. If people are posting their own pics [good or bad] then that is the stock you will be getting. If people post other people's photos, you never know what you'll get.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
lotzodomo
Algae Grower

Also, THIS is what the shrimps were latching onto in the bags they arrived in. I feel so bad for them =( poor little creatures. Those REMOVED FOUL LANGUAGE couldn't even give them a small leaf or anything. Ugh.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 02-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: language
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sponge or plastic mesh is good for shipping. you don't want to include plants or moss for a few reason. 1, they can start to die and break down with no light and that creates ammonia. 2, some plants and mosses are considered invasive in different states, so a shipment could be destroyed because included a certain type of moss that is legal in your state and not legal in another state. So they did 1 thing right. lol.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Closed Thread