Could my Fluval 20 be broken?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
TMuller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Could my Fluval 20 be broken?

This is my first time trying pressurized CO2 and I just purchased a Fluval mini pressurized C02 kit. For some reason I cannot get any CO2 through the regulator. I took off the diffuser and still got no CO2. I've played with the regulator valve but no luck. When I loosened the regulator valve CO2 was indeed coming out through the threading, so I know that is still good. Could it be that the valve is broken?
TMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Are you using something like this?

Did you check for leaks? When you say "regulator" are you referring to the piece at the top of photo (above the CO2 cartridge)?

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
TMuller
Algae Grower

That is the one, and that is what I meant about the regulator. I couldn't find any leaks. I think the regulator might not be releasing the pressure at all, or there is something I might not have done right. I'd try to twist it farther but I'm worried about breaking it.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

So after you screw the regulator onto the cartridge, and turn the knob at the top, no gas comes out from the tubing port on the side?

You mentioned that when you loosed the regulator valve, that CO2 was coming out from the threading. Is this the threading between the cartridge and the regulator?

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
TMuller
Algae Grower

Yes!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Do you get flow without using the diffuser setup. Put the hose right from the regulator to the water and check for bubbles. I just got the ista 45g setup and very dissapointed with it, my opinion is to get a real setup and dont waste your money on co2 tanks you will be throwing away weekly. Get a cheap paintball reg setup from someone here for under $50 bucks and save yourself the hassle.
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
TMuller
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
Do you get flow without using the diffuser setup. Put the hose right from the regulator to the water and check for bubbles. I just got the ista 45g setup and very dissapointed with it, my opinion is to get a real setup and dont waste your money on co2 tanks you will be throwing away weekly. Get a cheap paintball reg setup from someone here for under $50 bucks and save yourself the hassle.
I got no CO2 flow just from an open airline. I've done DIY CO2 before and see what should happen, but nothing happens here. Right now I'm just testing out CO2. I figured since we sell them at work I'd give it a shot. I would like to get some good aerial growth though so I might not need to use CO2. For now I think I might just go DIY until I figure out what I want to do with the tank.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
TMuller
Algae Grower

Update: I got a response after almost a week from Hagen. I just swapped it out for a new CO2 unit at the LFS.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsplantednutz View Post
I'm currently looking into the ISTA 45g setup for my 2.5 liter tank. What about it were you disappointed with? I've heard good things other than the constant costs for cartridges.
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote