Recommendations for disposable CO2 setup for 2.5L
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Recommendations for disposable CO2 setup for 2.5L

I'm looking for a disposable CO2 cartridge setup. Must have regulator, diffuser, and bubble counter. This will be for a 2.5L tank with HC only. The tank is on my desk, so I don't want to make a 5# setup. Simple and sleek is what I'm aiming for. Minimal clutter. Any suggestions/recommendations?
SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Kudaria
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Did you have a price range? Both greenleafaquariums and ada offer very nice nano setups but the cost is between 150 to 300 depending on what all you get.

Other cheaper options can be had from Fluval but I've heard of CO2 dumps with those - i guess one question is do you have any fish in it to worry about (asking because I'm not sure what you mean by HC).

If you don't have any fish then end of cartridge issues wouldn't be a major concern. The Fluval setups can be had for closer to $50.
Kudaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Green Leaf Aquarium has a paintball regulator that would likely be better than a cartridge based setup. Aquatek makes a paintball regulator as well that is affordable. I have never used either but am considering both when I redo my nano.

You can always buy the diffuser and bubble counter separately if you just buy a regulator, plenty of affordable and DIY options there.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: Recommendations for disposable CO2 setup for 2.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Green Leaf Aquarium has a paintball regulator that would likely be better than a cartridge based setup. Aquatek makes a paintball regulator as well that is affordable. I have never used either but am considering both when I redo my nano.

You can always buy the diffuser and bubble counter separately if you just buy a regulator, plenty of affordable and DIY options there.
I'll take a look. I'm trying to stay away from paintball or real co2 setups mainly because the tank is so tiny. It's only 2.5 liters.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudaria View Post
Did you have a price range? Both greenleafaquariums and ada offer very nice nano setups but the cost is between 150 to 300 depending on what all you get.

Other cheaper options can be had from Fluval but I've heard of CO2 dumps with those - i guess one question is do you have any fish in it to worry about (asking because I'm not sure what you mean by HC).

If you don't have any fish then end of cartridge issues wouldn't be a major concern. The Fluval setups can be had for closer to $50.
Was looking for something no more than $80. I checked out the itsa one and that looks pretty cool. Not trying to go overboard and get an ADA disposable setup. I just want something that is somewhat pleasing to the eye since it'll be next to the tank.

HC = Hemianthus Callitrichoides aka Dwarf Baby Tears. Only plant I'm putting in the tank. I'm going to DSM for now until I find a decently priced setup. No fish until I have CO2 on lockdown.

I've heard the same thing about the Fluval stuff. Quite frankly, I won't try it. Read plenty of things that would set me astray.

I was also thinking of possibly DIYing a disposable CO2 setup.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

You can get an Ista disposable system at most Petco's for about $50. Replacement CO2 cartridges are $10 each. The system is very cute.

In a 2.5l tank (do you really mean 2.5 liters or gallons?) it would last a while if you can get the bubble rate dialed in slow enough... however with no fauna there's not really any harm in running it higher, other than you'd use more CO2. I have a hard time adjusting the one I have with really low bubble rates.. it's really difficult to get the bubble rate slower than about 1 per second, but it's easier to adjust my Aquatek mini's down pretty low (I have one running just 12 bubbles a minute).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
You can get an Ista disposable system at most Petco's for about $50. Replacement CO2 cartridges are $10 each. The system is very cute.

In a 2.5l tank (do you really mean 2.5 liters or gallons?) it would last a while if you can get the bubble rate dialed in slow enough... however with no fauna there's not really any harm in running it higher, other than you'd use more CO2. I have a hard time adjusting the one I have with really low bubble rates.. it's really difficult to get the bubble rate slower than about 1 per second, but it's easier to adjust my Aquatek mini's down pretty low (I have one running just 12 bubbles a minute).
Yeah those are the ones I was looking at before making this thread. I didn't know Petco stocks them. That's a huge money saver! There's a Petco 5 minutes from me. The one I saw was on some site for $80 with bubble counter, diffuser, regulator, the cartridge and stand. Does the Petco one include all of this?

It's just flora for now. Fauna will will come in much much later after the tank has had time to stabilize. No clue what is going in there yet. Going to DSM the HC in the tank and leave it outside for now.

I really mean 2.5 liters not gallons. This is the whole reason why I decided to go with a disposable CO2 cartridge setup instead of a paintball or a real setup. A disposable CO2 cartridge setup will last quite some time on a 2.5 liter tank and take up minimal real estate in the tank and desk it's going on.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is the set that Petco has in store.. http://www.istaproducts.com/details+...er/products/9/

It comes with everything, but the bubble counter is integrated into the diffuser, it's not separate (there's nothing wrong with that). Ista does make another set that uses bigger CO2 cartridges - that may be the one you found online for $80.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahh sweet! Thanks! The one I saw was the 88gal one. I'm fine with the bubble counter and diffuser being integrated. Do you know if these will take disposable co2 cartridges that are commonly used with bb guns, etc. or is it specifically the ones that they sell are the only ones that work on it (like how the ADA ones are)?

Any personal on the ITSA disposable CO2 setups? Just so long as it's more reliable than the Fluval pos ones.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am not sure if they could use the disposable paintball CO2 cartridges.. I haven't really looked, but since I need to go get 2 of my paintball tanks refilled tomorrow I can poke around the store and see if I can find any 45g ones to try out (or I'll take an empty Ista one with me to compare). I know the fluval system can use regular 88g paintball cartridges so it's possible that would be true with the Ista sets since they also seem to use standard sizes.

I never really had problems with mine other than it being tricky to adjust.. like I said I only upgraded due to the high running cost of the disposable cartridges.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

They do make small refillable paintball co2 tanks. Something like the one I'll link below paired with gla's atomic paintball regulator would offer you the sleek look you're after AND allow to refill the bottle. Trust me, regardless of tank size you will spend a fortune in cartridges over time.

http://www.choicepaintballguns.com/product/009313
pwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I could use any disposable cartridges, that would cut costs down greatly! Being that it will be on a 2.5L tank, those high running costs you ran into wouldn't be that much on a smaller scale.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just curious. How much better would the CO2 controller work on the 45g setup instead of the regulator that comes with it or are they two different things?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

following this... im considering small setup for my 4 gallon too.
the paintball route, unless there's a regulator is too risky for my paranoid self. just imo.

i really like the look and reviews of the GLA atomic v2 paintball regulator. it's pricey for my taste but you're paying for quality is my hope. but at that price point i might as well just get a regular decent set up by paying few bucks more... which is why i considered somethign cheaper. haha
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfe View Post
They do make small refillable paintball co2 tanks. Something like the one I'll link below paired with gla's atomic paintball regulator would offer you the sleek look you're after AND allow to refill the bottle. Trust me, regardless of tank size you will spend a fortune in cartridges over time.

http://www.choicepaintballguns.com/product/009313
Reason for not wanting a paintball setup is that the paintball CO2 can is much bigger than the tank. The tank is only 2.5 liters. Something about a paintball setup towering over my tank on my desk just doesn't go well with me. Too much space will be taken up as the light is a desk lamp.

If I decide to do CO2 on my 5gal, I'll take a look at the paintball stuff, but honestly, I'd rather go for an actual setup if I wanted CO2 for larger tanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.