Ballast
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

What kind of ballast would I need for a two F15T8s or a three F15T8s set up?

Can someone help me out? :?

Thanks
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Fullham Workhorse 5 Will do the trick nicely

http://www.fulham.com/wh5dia8.html
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool. Do you happen to know what that would be in an ADVANCE brand? No one sells Fullham in the Colorado Springs area. I would have to drive to Denver for it.

Home Depot has the ADVANCE brand = I can get it locally.
EPC Member #27
Old 11-28-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I have no idea... I'm not familiar with them at all
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2003, 08:51 PM   #5
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

I'm not familiar with that series of ballasts but you should be able to get a regular 32 watt 2 bulb electronic ballast and run them. Are you wanting to go with NO or OD?

I have 2 15 watt bulbs being driven by a 32x2 ballast. I am overdriving them 2x by wiring them in series and linking the output leads from the ballast together.

You can use the same ballast and wire the leads separately to each bulb and drive them NO. Most electronic ballasts auto sense their load and adjust output accordingly.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just went to HD and got an Advance REL 2P32 SC ballast. It is designed for 2 lamps. I will be going NO for a 10 gal as the 15x3 set up will be a bit overkill. I will design a new cover/canopy for this tank as well.

Dave,
what kind of tank do you have for these 2-15s?
EPC Member #27
Old 11-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #7
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

I have those over a 10 gallon tank. I have been thinking about putting a third bulb over it, but I don't have any CO2 on it right now so I think it would be a waste right now.

How do you plan on wiring three bulbs onto a two bulb ballast? I'm not sure how the ballast would interpret an odd wiring scheme like 2 bulbs on one output and one bulb on the other output. I have found electronic ballasts to be very flexible so it might work.

That ballast has a total output capability of 64 watts, so even if you overdrove those you would only be pushing 19 extra watts down those lamps. So not even 1.5x overdriven. Though like you say, that may be total overkill for such a small tank. I think 45 watts would probably be about the limit on a 10 gallon tank without seriously destabilizing it.

The other option (and I totally spazzed when I was writing the email and forgot that you mentioned 3 bulbs) is to get a 3 bulb output ballast. I believe they make those, though they may not be commonly available.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:02 PM   #8
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am going to connect 2 bulbs only. You have any pics? I'd like to see some.

3 bulb ballasts exist, but are not a common item to stock. Do you like your 3 wpg rating over your 10 gal? I was inclined to go with a total of 45, but HD did not have any 3 bulb ballast and I was not sure what to look for while searching for a 4 bulb option. Besides this, the guy at the store was a moron. I am sure I can find a ballast on my own by going back to the Advance website.

Also, care to tell me how you came up with 64 watts on the ballast that I've chosen?
EPC Member #27
Old 11-29-2003, 04:24 AM   #9
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I'm just basing it on the model number: REL 2P32 SC. It looks a 2 bulb ballast that is capable of driving 32 watts to each bulb. So total output should be about 64 watts from that ballast if you were driving it to its max. But since most ballasts auto sense their load it will probably only push about 15 watts to each bulb. So you'll really be under driving that ballast.

I have been running dual NO bulbs on that 10 gallon for about a year now, although I recently tore it down and restarted it and rewired the ballast for OD action. I have one brand new Chroma 50 and one year old bulb. I'm not running any CO2 on that tank and occasionally I drop some liquid ferts in the tank. I'm not going for a high growth tank on this one, I just want some low maintanence plants in it for my ram. (Although I am successfully propogating a bunch of riccia floating at the top) Before I tore it down I had DIY CO2 going to it and was dosing liquid ferts regularly and I had my plants pearling once or twice. I still think I needed either more light or better CO2 to really get good growth. I wasn't using a very good reactor and I have a HOB filter on it so a lot of surface agitation.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the overall setup. I'm just a tinkerer so I'm always thinking of things that I want to improve or tweak.

Here are some pics. Not very pretty, I'm seriously contemplating putting together a new hood more like the one I built for my 29 gallon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.