New CO2 diffusion method
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
RyanR.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New CO2 diffusion method

Has anyone ever thought of creating a CO2 diffuser made of a long tube coiled around where you have bubbles flowing up the coils and the water flowing down? It seems as if you could achieve 100% diffusion pretty easily. Any thoughts? Anybody ever tried this?
RyanR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Sugardaddy1979
Sic em

PTrader: (12/100%)

How would you keep water from flowing back to the co2 source? I don't know that you can have lines under pressure running against eacother.
Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
Sugardaddy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
discgo
Algae Grower

Maybe just tee the co2 in and use a check valve
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Rich Guano
Planted Member

Here I used a Marinland MaxiJet Powerhead with its output connected to the top of a gravel vacuum tube with the water flow moving downward. I let the output of my CO2 just bubble up from the bottom of the vacuum tube without a diffuser. The CO2 is forced to remain in the vacuum tube constantly rising in the downward flow of water until it completely disolves.
Basically its a modified Bell Method, only with water movement.
And yes, a oneway is used in the CO2 line. But be sure its CO2 rated. Metals will corrode very quick.

Not my design, more info here...

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html
Attached Images

Think outside the glass box.
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Rich Guano
Planted Member

Here is a youtube video that demonstrates the method using a soda bottle rather than the vacuum tube.

Last edited by Rich Guano; 02-17-2013 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: .
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
RyanR.
Algae Grower

Those are also very effective ways to diffuse CO2, however, I am trying to avoid as much bulk and equipment in my aquarium as possible.

And bulldog that is a good question perhaps if i make the hole the co2 is pushed out of the air pressure will be enough to keep the water out.

Thanks for your comments and keep em comming!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Rich Guano
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR. View Post
trying to avoid as much bulk and equipment
How about this?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
Default New CO2 diffusion method

Quote:
Has anyone ever thought of creating a CO2 diffuser made of a long tube coiled around where you have bubbles flowing up the coils and the water flowing down? It seems as if you could achieve 100% diffusion pretty easily. Any thoughts? Anybody ever tried this?
That's a an old concept if you ask me as reactors of the past and even some today employ a similar concept, albeit different design.

I can tell you from my experience effective diffusion is when your design allows for an area where water and Co2 is mixed vigorously while having the least amount of micro bubbles escape you chamber. Don't get me wrong bubbles are good, but for aesthetic reasons the less the better.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
RyanR.
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
That's a an old concept if you ask me as reactors of the past and even some today employ a similar concept, albeit different design.

I can tell you from my experience effective diffusion is when your design allows for an area where water and Co2 is mixed vigorously while having the least amount of micro bubbles escape you chamber. Don't get me wrong bubbles are good, but for aesthetic reasons the less the better.
So do you think it would work with good efficiency? I do have a sump area i may be able to do one of the videos above. I just want my aquarium to look as clean as possible
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

mmmm....7UP
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
So do you think it would work with good efficiency? I do have a sump area i may be able to do one of the videos above. I just want my aquarium to look as clean as possible
With a sump you would be better off making a traditional reactor or mist, both of which will not be exposed. Either of the 2 can get the Co2 levels quick enough and maintain it since you will outgass constantly.

What you are suggesting/thinking is going to cause problems for if you want to grow healthy plants and without algae drama later on.

The Junkie
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
RyanR.
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
With a sump you would be better off making a traditional reactor or mist, both of which will not be exposed. Either of the 2 can get the Co2 levels quick enough and maintain it since you will outgass constantly.

What you are suggesting/thinking is going to cause problems for if you want to grow healthy plants and without algae drama later on.
Okay I like keeping it simple I like it!! So what do you mean by traditional reactor or mist??
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Okay I like keeping it simple I like it!! So what do you mean by traditional reactor or mist??
Not sure about how you have and how large a setup you are planning for, but here's a few things I've tried. I tried many more, with bioballs, sponge, bottles, you name it...but no pics to back it up.

The 4in PVC reactor was the best reactor I made. The performance was excellent with no mist ever getting into the tank, but I like mist- just a preference. I might use it a gain with my new build, but we'll see. Other than that the tall ones worked well & the short I didn't like. Too many bubbles & burps when Co2 was upped to keep up with the sump & flow.

I'm using a new method now, well not new but different. Very small powerhead with the impeller modded, but I'm using a eHeim 2213 on a 30gal at the moment so Co2 is easily achieved with only 60bpm Mist quality is excellnet, i.e., very fine mist that does not spoil the aesthetics. So far I'm leaning towards this for my 105gal build, but it's going to be a toss up between this and the reactor.

I'll prolly post that in the future when I finally get my new tank up and running.

Traditional:

16~18" tall made from 2in PVC with outflow placed in the pump intake line.

3ft using 2in PVC:

4in PVC reactor 27in tall - best I've made!

Mist:

Feeding Co2 on the intake of external pump

Mazzei injector:

Mist via Encamat mod impeller, was a dedicated Co2 only pump:

Needle Wheel Pump:

Smaller DC pump for misting, never put into service:

The Junkie
Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
ftwchopper
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Guano View Post
Here is a youtube video that demonstrates the method using a soda bottle rather than the vacuum tube.

Effective CO2 aquarium diffuser. 100% solubility. - YouTube
This is kind of like the one i use but im using a large gravel vac filled with bioballs.Water comes in from the top and co2 from the bottom.Seems to work perfect.
ftwchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
iant
Planted Member

Quote:

you are describing exactly what an internal co2 reactor is. and I think by far the best method of diffusing co2 in water. lots of DIY guide online. 1 advise I have is to make sure you have enough water flow to keep co2 bubbles in the chamber but not up the empeller at the same time not too much to push it down and out the the chambers outlet.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote