Pump for hieght and silence
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
fearsome
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pump for hieght and silence

I am looking for a good quiet pump, I would like it to push about 300 GPH up 40 inches and through the filter.

I would also like it to be as quiet as possible

Bonus features would be if it had standard female US hose connections, and I think running out of the water would be better for saving space. I dont have much experience with pumps some say to over shoot, but are most pumps adjustable? Because I see they tend to just double in flow and going from say 300 GPH to 600 GPH seems like alot to me. But people also say you should over shoot. I think I could get away with less than 300 GPH. Also I cant tell if a pump is rated for a certain height if that means it will pump its GPH rating at the full height, or go faster if you are lower than that.
fearsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

"up 40 inches" as in you plan on placing the filter 40 inches above the water line?
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Cthulhu
Planted Member

I had a Poseidon PS3 on my reef for many years. Works extremely well, very quiet, the design allows it to be easily installed anywhere (mine was on a wall inside the stand), and it's an external pump.
The PS3 is too strong for your needs but another model would probably be perfect

Random link to show the pump :
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/aq...-aquarium-pump
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
fearsome
Algae Grower

Yes about 40 inches should be my max height. The tank is 36 inches tall and will be a paludarium with 7-9 inches of water, then the filter will need to be hidden somewhere above the tank along with all heating, lighting , timers etc..

Is there any way to adjust the flow of the poseidon pump? It seems the lowest one they offer is over 500 GPH

Last edited by fearsome; 02-22-2013 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: cause
fearsome is offline   Reply With Quote