Progression of my 55 Gallon (Beware lots of pictures!) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #31
Elyssa
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your tank looks awesome. It's nice seeing the progression and gives us plant newbies a lot of hope! The branch really is sweet. Work in progress...lol...so goes life
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Haha, yep. Thanks for the kind comment. I am still a newb as well. It has been trial and error, but I think I am getting it all down pat.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #33
JerSaint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looking really good! I like the progression. One small thing I like to do is hide the heater as much as possible. You could add a tall stem plant on that right side or lay it down horizontally behind your driftwood. Keep it up!
Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...958&highlight=
JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...841&highlight=
Profile Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...025&n=JerSaint
JerSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerSaint View Post
Looking really good! I like the progression. One small thing I like to do is hide the heater as much as possible. You could add a tall stem plant on that right side or lay it down horizontally behind your driftwood. Keep it up!
I agree. I was thinking about that, and I think I may put it behind the swords on the left.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Enjoyed the progression and your design choices. Agree with Elyssa.."it gives us newbies a lot of hope!"
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Progression of my 55 Gallon (Beware lots of pictures!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxtonhill View Post
Enjoyed the progression and your design choices. Agree with Elyssa.."it gives us newbies a lot of hope!"
Thanks for the comment. I am still a newbie, but this shows that anyone can do it.

Fish
Plants
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heres an updated pic...

Fish
Plants
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #38
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Lookin great man. Filled in nicely and ya don't even notice any of the hardware anymore. Great job! I also like the darker substrate.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineChauffer View Post
Lookin great man. Filled in nicely and ya don't even notice any of the hardware anymore. Great job! I also like the darker substrate.
Thank you! Really pumped with the way it looks now. Trying to think of think of things to do, but kind of stumped. Any suggestions or advice is very much welcomed.

Fish
Plants
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #40
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

I updated the tank a bit. Added some rotala, dwarf sag, and some more rams as well. Also added some neon tetras, we will see if those suckers last lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish
Plants
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #41
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinbos View Post

I updated the tank a bit. Added some rotala, dwarf sag, and some more rams as well. Also added some neon tetras, we will see if those suckers last lol!

I can not keep neons or rams but have no problem with cardinals or angels. I am liking the added dwarf sag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #42
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
I can not keep neons or rams but have no problem with cardinals or angels. I am liking the added dwarf sag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The neons were just bought randomly. Had no real use or want for them. The rams do well for me. Right now I am just waiting on the dwarf sag to take off. Also bought the rotala to eventually take the place of most of them swords...like the sag, waiting on them to take off also. I wonder why the neon and rams don't work out for you??? You know, Bolivian Rams are much easier to keep...you ever tried them.

Fish
Plants
Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #43
Aquatica Portal
Algae Grower

Great tank...keep those pictures coming...never too many...
Aquatica Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #44
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatica Portal View Post
Great tank...keep those pictures coming...never too many...
Lucky for you, I am changing this tank up quite a bit, so I will have a lot of pictures coming this way here in the next week or so. I am going to take out the manzanita branch and place that in the 125 gallon with my larger cichlids. Luckily I have about 8 or 9 other pieces of driftwood in my 125 gallon to work with. Heres the 125 with the driftwood pieces I am talking about...

Plus I am also getting rid of the 4 large swords I have in there. They just take up too much space. I am going to work with rotala and other taller crypts loke the spiralis I have.

Fish
Plants
Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #45
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I made quit a few changes to the 55 gallon. I removed the 3 large swords. They really made my tank feel congested. I also moved the large manzanita branch to my 125 gallon, and I moved some pieces of driftwood from the 125 to this one. The large manz. Driftwood seemed almost too big for this tank. Also added a cap of pool filter sand from the 125. I really like how the tank looked before with the sand in there, so I went back to it. Plus the the sand will allow me to pin point the poop. I hated not being able to distinguish the poo from the substrate. I still have the floramax under the sand. When I took out all the substrate to clean it of all the poop, I coated the bottom with muriate of potash and dolomite. I will also place dried dim size balls of clay deep in the substrate for the heaving root feeders, as well as giving those heavy root feeders root tabs.

During this whole process, several of the crypts took a beating, as well as the dwarf sag and pygmy chain swords. Here is to hoping they make a recovery.

Just to clarify, I began this entire process because I noticed most of my fish had Ich. Hadn't dealt with Ich for this tank yet, so I assumed it was because I never cleaned the top of the substrate for poo, which led to deteriorated water quality. I had always done water changes and other maintenance, so if the poo covered substrate wasn't it, I am not sure of the cause.

Things I will be doing for this tank in the next few days:

I will be adding the fish back after treatment is done.
Add clay balls
Buy and add substrate tabs
Buy new bulbs
And add an extra canister filter to go along with my Eheim 2215

Here's all the updates, CHEERS!

Fish
Plants