Google, farewell. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #16
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
no. google may provide an answer, such as how to retrieve and loop through a json object. But implementing it, or even understanding what you're looking at, is not necessarily as easy or straight forward as copy and paste.

if it was as easy as just googling the answer, anyone could do it. but it isnt.
+1

My husband was an IT tech, and if he doesn't know how to fix the problem, he finds a way. He understands what he's looking at and can make educated guesses, quantum leaps even, on how to proceed with it.

I, on the other hand, might as well be looking at ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. I can't fathom it. That might be because I don't give a hoot about it and I don't designate any brain space to learn it. I use it up on my own job.

Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
+1

That might be because I don't give a hoot about it and I don't designate any brain space to learn it. I use it up on my own job.
You just nailed it!
Its because most people dont care to learn it. Google will tell you how to solve almost any problem, given enough research time. What counts is how hard/ how much time someone wants to invest into learning the processes neccessary to complete the given problem.

Every job is at stake to the internet dont be fooled. Its why every job should focus on customer service at this point, thats what the internet doesnt have at this point.
Do your job well, with a smile on your face, and be courteous to those you are working with and you thrive, not and you fail, this is the decline of many recent businesses. Its the reason we kick our competitors butts in town even thoug we have a smaller workforce in a. less frequented location
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Reading this thread it makes me think you people automatically assume everything you're reading is accurate. I've done some searches on certain things and some of the answers are downright dangerous they are so wrong.

Some of the things I've seen although they will get you there aren't the right way and aren't repeatable. (generally)

Am I missing something? Google has never shown me where the answers where but hasn't told me how to do a darn thing.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Reading this thread it makes me think you people automatically assume everything you're reading is accurate. I've done some searches on certain things and some of the answers are downright dangerous they are so wrong.

Some of the things I've seen although they will get you there aren't the right way and aren't repeatable. (generally)

Am I missing something? Google has never shown me where the answers where but hasn't told me how to do a darn thing.
This. I see stupid things people post on facebook and share and they don't even look it up, it just passed along. 20seconds online shows the post is only repeated on conspiracy websites and sites full of nuts, and then you find it debunked way down, but people don't do that, they just repost things like coke is made horse pee or all government leaders are really aliens from the Drako nebula.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
This. I see stupid things people post on facebook and share and they don't even look it up, it just passed along. 20seconds online shows the post is only repeated on conspiracy websites and sites full of nuts, and then you find it debunked way down, but people don't do that, they just repost things like coke is made horse pee or all government leaders are really aliens from the Drako nebula.
Everyone knows they're from the Scorpius Nebula. Draco is so 2000
State leaders are from Camelopardalis Nebula.
No one is from the Draco.

Coke is not horse pee. It's shrimp excrement.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
DavidN

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thing about Google is that different people will get different answers. The search results a biased to be 'more relevant' to you based on their knowledge of your use of any of their 60+ products. This isn't conspiracy theory; just read their terms & conditions and privacy statements.
DavidN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #22
Smitty06
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidangular View Post
Bing blows google maps out of the water. Instead of the top down satellite google has, Bing going gives a birds eye view from several different angles. you can really see everything like from the perspective of a bird, not limited to that of a passenger as in google Street View. And you can rotate the angle from which you view the same point. Never question what am intersection may look like again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
That is just like google's street view, and if you know even slightly the area around you then it is not hard to know what intersection you are looking at.
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've started using bing for all my searches now. Just like it better.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #24
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like the layout of google better, but the search results of bing better.
Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Not too surprising that Bing might be slightly better in some cases, as it's pretty much been proven that Microsoft uses and combines search statistics from other search engines, including Google, as a basis for Bing. Which is cheating in a way, using data that others have developed without credit or compensation.

Heck, in a day I could write a fairly competent search engine if I did that.

I stick with Google.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote