Mystery Snails from Petsmart
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Mystery Snails from Petsmart

I've tried two different times to keep mystery snails from Petsmart and each time they die within a day or two. I usually find them in there side half hanging out of their shells. Anyone else experien e this? They are the only things that die in my tanks.
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Ulupica
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've never had that problem... I've had them actively mate and lay eggs. I've even hatched a couple batches of them.
Ulupica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
2Shi
Algae Grower

Possibly a bad strain in the snail. Some viruses that snails get will lay dormant for a period of time before affecting the snail.

Also, there's a possibility of copper poisoning. If your home has copper pipes then that could be the source of the excess (if there is any). You can try a copper test kit if you think this may be the cause.
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
musician71604
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Mine have always done very well. I'd check for something in your water unless you have other snails/inverts that are doing just fine.
musician71604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

I was in one of their stores Monday, and every mystery snail they had (several dozen) were dead and hanging out of their shells. It's quite possible that the problem begins before they arrive in your tank.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Ask and see when they got their shipment in. Snails sell fast and they could have just gotten there and the disease they had dint kill them until you got them into your tank. I have bought four and they mated and had over 100+ snails that I sell and have been breeding the same snails ever since.

But if it has happened more then once you may want to see if you have any copper in your tank. Only tow things that could really be the problem.
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
wootlaws
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've had the same problem buying snails from Petsmart. After they died I gave up. I ended up with some pond snails that hitch hiked from some plants I pucrhased and they are breeding happily and eating off all the algae from my tank. I haven't bought any from Petsmart since then and I would probably get them from the marketplace or vendors next time.
wootlaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Mine died, with the exception of one, it could be due water conditions (temp change, dissolved Cu or F in home water)
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Sandybottom
Algae Grower

i asked one petsmart employee what they feed their snails and she said that they eat the algae from the tanks. if they have had them for awhile they may have starved. at petco they don't turn their nerites over when they are upside down, which is a death sentence.not sure if they are aware of the problem or if they just don't care.
Sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will have to check for copper in my water.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybottom View Post
i asked one petsmart employee what they feed their snails and she said that they eat the algae from the tanks. if they have had them for awhile they may have starved. at petco they don't turn their nerites over when they are upside down, which is a death sentence.not sure if they are aware of the problem or if they just don't care.
I used to work at Petsmart a few years ago and associates are not trained hardly at all in the proper care of aquatic (or birds or reptiles/ amphibians or hamsters, etc.) life. My guess is they are unaware that this is a problem for the nerites. We were never told to give algae pellets to the snails when I worked there, but I snuck them some anyway. Management is a huge POA there for lower employees. Such a sad situation corporate pet stores have become.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Sandybottom
Algae Grower

our petco gets fresh veggies donated to them by the chipotle restaurant chain for the reptiles. this includes romaine lettuce. they should be supplementing the fish with veggies too. next time i'm there, i will try to give them the heads up on the nerite problem.
Sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I had a few from petsmart a while back that thrived. They mated constantly, I hatched a couple pods and had to give them away (had hundreds). The only reason they died was a persistent ph problem that slowly eroded their shells.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Not sure but I thought about buying one before but now I don't know. What is that yellow snail they sell?
Neatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm thinking its not copper in my water because I have cherry shrimp in the same tank. I might try some different snails from my LFS and see how hey do.