Co2 Resistant tubing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Co2 Resistant tubing

How important is Co2 resistant tubing? Right now I have black silicone tubing and the clear stuff that is used for an air pump. I rather not order just Co2 tubing online and have to bay 8 bucks for shipping plus the tubing. Are there stores that would sell co2 tubing like a welding shop or something. Don't think I've seen this stuff at LFS.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

CO2 resistant tubing will not harden and crack like the normal tubing will. You may also lose some CO2 through the normal tubing. I read one post on this site that claimed a 20% through normal air hose v.s. CO2 resistant. Not sure where you can purchase. I would try a LFS (not Petco or Petsmart).
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is there a type someone could recommend I'm looking at this site and there so many different types. http://www.mcmaster.com
I see someone people suggest polyethylene tubing but pressure fittings are needed how do connect those to your regulator?

Last edited by latchdan; 02-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx3Bash View Post
CO2 resistant tubing will not harden and crack like the normal tubing will. You may also lose some CO2 through the normal tubing. I read one post on this site that claimed a 20% through normal air hose v.s. CO2 resistant. Not sure where you can purchase. I would try a LFS (not Petco or Petsmart).
I did some testing of silicone tubing, because theoretically that is the most leaky of all tubing types. I did not get any leakage. I had a 25 foot coil of the tubing, plugged at one end, the other end pressurized to up to 40 psi. No bubbles came out of the tubing, and no CO2 flow occurred - I had a normal bubble counter to measure the flow.

My conclusion was that even with the worst tubing, we don't lose any CO2 through the tube walls, so it is best to use the tubing that does what you want, without being concerned about CO2 loss. If you were to have a 250 foot run of tubing, it is possible that you would get a very slight loss of CO2, but not with our typical 10 foot or shorter run of tubing.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Well, airline tubing may be more prone to cracking, though I've never used it with CO2. More importantly, however, is that most tubing advertised as CO2 tubing, or recommended for CO2 tubing, is 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID. And most fittings are designed for that particular size (though ADA and some other Asian stuff is 4/6mm). And any airline tubing from a LFS will be 1/4" OD but larger ID (something like 3/16"), which means it has thinner walls, and can't be used with certain connections.

So I wouldn't worry about changing out your tubing unless there's something wrong with it. But if you do decide to upgrade, any 1/4-1/8 tubing will likely do the trick. The Tygon stuff from USPlastic is popular (I use it as well).
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info, I ordered some tygon stuff but from the link I posted, company based in California where I live. I ordered 1/8 ID and 1/4 OD. After ordering it I was getting kinda worried I should of orderd 3/16 ID,since that is what standard tubing is I believe. Although, you think the 1/8 should work just fine? I can always heat it up before attaching stuff.

I don't really like the silicone tubing I have right now because its a little too flexible and seems to get pinched coming out of regulator. Im not sure if it matters or not.

Quote:
I did some testing of silicone tubing, because theoretically that is the most leaky of all tubing types. I did not get any leakage. I had a 25 foot coil of the tubing, plugged at one end, the other end pressurized to up to 40 psi. No bubbles came out of the tubing, and no CO2 flow occurred - I had a normal bubble counter to measure the flow.

My conclusion was that even with the worst tubing, we don't lose any CO2 through the tube walls, so it is best to use the tubing that does what you want, without being concerned about CO2 loss. If you were to have a 250 foot run of tubing, it is possible that you would get a very slight loss of CO2, but not with our typical 10 foot or shorter run of tubing.
Interesting, I was scared I was losing a bunch of Co2 but now possibly I'm not.