Finnex p360 slowing down
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Finnex p360 slowing down

Hi TPT

I have a Finnex P360 filter which when performs does a great job. My problem with it is that the flow of water significantly slows down to a trickle within 2 weeks of cleaning it out. Is this is an issue of concern? Is this common with filters of this type?

Alternatively, should I be caring for the equipment on a certain schedule to properly maintain flow?
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

What type of media do you run? If you have any kind of fine material for polishing, like filter floss, that stuff clogs really fast and has to be hanged out quite often. I've noticed that I can go around a month before I have to clean the filter sponge out before really noticing a lack of flow. I only run the stock media and a bag of purigen in mines. I tossed the fine filter pad/carbon media that came with the filter.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
philemon716
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

The filter uses carbon floss pad, sponge, and ceramic rings. It's the same you have in your Schuber Wright! (I have the same but the 4 gal)
philemon716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

the floss is the likely culprit. I run two of these filters with only the sponge and ceramic media... try this out and see if it improves your situation.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

As said, if you have fine floss or a pad, it will clog up much more quickly. If you are running carbon and it's a pad, it may be really fine as well, not familiar with the filter.

One other thing, clean your hoses. I thought my Zoo Med was done because I would clean it constantly and the flow would increase for only about a day. Found my intake was totally clogged and was the cause of the issue. Even if it isn't the problem, no harm in doing so. I find this is more problematic on smaller filters though I have seen my flow increase on larger filters after years of not cleaning the tubing as well.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
xAlias
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a similar case with the finnex P360 and water flow is now to a bare trickle even though i cleaned it recently.

Not the hoses, since i cleaned that and checked. Could it be the impeller? Been about 5 months now and still on the stock stuff.
xAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Just don't put in the carbon pad and it should be fine.... unless you have some need for polishing the water there's really no need for it. Running a pre-filter on the intake can also help keep things from getting clogged up - you just clean the pre-filter off when you do a water change, rather than tearing apart the whole filter.

I put a bag of purigen in my 360 in place of the carbon and it's been running 4 months and I've yet to open it up and clean it out.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
xAlias
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Just don't put in the carbon pad and it should be fine.... unless you have some need for polishing the water there's really no need for it. Running a pre-filter on the intake can also help keep things from getting clogged up - you just clean the pre-filter off when you do a water change, rather than tearing apart the whole filter.

I put a bag of purigen in my 360 in place of the carbon and it's been running 4 months and I've yet to open it up and clean it out.
Thanks!

Let me try that. I did clean the carbon pad but let me try removing the carbon pad and checking.
xAlias is offline   Reply With Quote