newbie to Iwagumi style
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
gorally
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

newbie to Iwagumi style

Hi all,
I am new to planted tank so like to ask for some help in setting up a 36" tank. I have years of background in reef but totally new to freshwater.

I have done some study in the setup and maintenance and here are some question:
- I read some article this kind of tank doesn't require a lot of light, or lighting period. I am planning to go with LED 6700K with moon light and dimmable option.
- Substrate layer requires to be thick because of the turf build up. Do I only require soil, or I need something under teh soil?
- I read the initial setup require changing 50% of water for the first 2 weeks, is that correct?
- how much maintenance work is required after the system is stable? ie, trimming, water change.
- Feeding, do I minimize the feeding like the ULNS in reef? Any equipement help to reduce the nutrient? Understand plant needs nitrate for healthy build up, over done might not be good for the plant either. How to maintain a perfect balance?

any recommeded reading will be greatly appericated.

Eddie
gorally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

50% water changes are for Nature Aquarium Style (ADA) tanks that use Aquasoil Amazonia.

Planted tank, opposite of reef, you want nutrients at all times for the plants to use, namely NPK + Micros. Most people mix their own dry ferts. Digital scale and weigh as you go by EI Index or PPS-Pro.
There is also premixed bottled liquid ferts ("plug n play"), where all you do is push the pump action like a soap bottle.
Then there is auto dosing like in reef, where you can use an auto doser like bubble magus.

But the first question is, would you like to have a low, medium or high light tank?

High light is a lot of maintenance compared to low light, namely frequent trimming, algae removal and control until tank is balanced, diligent CO2 monitoring and adjustment as needed and fert dosing.

For the soil you can simply use Aquasoil, some also add some powders in there like Bacter 100, to build a stable substrate faster. I read some reviews and believe they work.
I also believe in giving a tank the best start and chances to succeed from the beginning, so bring on the powders lol.

Read everything on the internet and then read it again, for specific literature I like Aqua Journal.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
gorally
Algae Grower

Thank you Green flash for the input.
what is the different of light setting. I would imagine the setting is according to demand. From the sound of it, this is my options. I would start with Medium because I don't know what the result of different level. Is there any guideline in terms of watt/Gal? I think I read something like 1Watt/L.
I think I will eventually go for auto dosing. Is PH as important as reef? Are there any controller that can monitor and automate the process?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
gorally
Algae Grower

BTW, I am planning to plant glosso or hemianthus for carpet. Are they considered high light plant?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Xalyx
Planted Member

Go with glosso you're a beginner. The HC will just die if your tank isn't right. Glosso grows the best in high light but will grow upward in mid light. HC will die in mid light.
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
gorally
Algae Grower

Thank you Xalyx. So how much light do you recommended, watt/gal. Also, how long photo period do I need? Should I go for dimmable? Currently I use 24 programmable LED in my reef. Do I need that in plant? Or that is overkill?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

This thread and others by the same member will be of great interest to you.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168992
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorally View Post
Thank you Green flash for the input.
what is the different of light setting. I would imagine the setting is according to demand. From the sound of it, this is my options. I would start with Medium because I don't know what the result of different level. Is there any guideline in terms of watt/Gal? I think I read something like 1Watt/L.
I think I will eventually go for auto dosing. Is PH as important as reef? Are there any controller that can monitor and automate the process?
Good question, watts/gal is no longer used really, PAR used, 50-100 at the substrate can grow anything pretty much.

pH, most aim for softer water in the 6-7 range, most plants and fish like the softer water. Varies though of course on what you want to keep.

Dimmable would be good, that way you can control the intensity easily. A few members on here have built their own dimmable LED fixtures.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
gorally
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone for the advise.
Regarding LED, does planted tank use any actinic? I realized the light has more greenish casting. If I like to configure my own fixture, what kind of combination am I looking for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.