Snakes - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
rileynapalm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post

My two new snakes. Both female.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Corn snakes indeed. As others have said, they're super easy to take care of. Also, feeding each in a separate brown paper bag will ensure that they do not start biting when you place your hand in the cage. If you just drop a mouse in with them, they will start to associate movement within the cage as food (AKA your hand). Fighting over a mouse is also highly likely. I've seen two snakes grab a hold at both end and work their way towards each other. I had to cut the mouse in half with scissors. =/

...Not pleasant...

Don't over think it. If you miss a feeding one week, no big deal. You can feed once a week, once every ten days, every fourteen days, or whatever works for you.
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Snakes

I got them from my uncle, says he feeds once a month. He said one is an "Aztec" and I don't remember what he called the other one. Nor do I know which he called Aztec.lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: Snakes

Double post
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

They're great! Just as long as they aren't on planes.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
cichnatic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Snakes can go on for months without eating. I used to feed my ball python twice a month and slowly went to once a month. He finally reached 5' or more and had to find him a new home.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
rileynapalm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well, bigger, less active snakes can afford to go that long without eating. They have a slower metabolism than smaller, active colubrids (like yours). While you could go months without feeding it, I'd advise not to. Pythons and boas can do that with minimal issues though.
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #22
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

in response to the original question, i used to keep some corn snakes in planted aquariums, but found that it works best if you keep only potted plants, which can be switched out every so often with fresh plants grown out of the tank. my problem was with scale rot due to humidity. lights that are bright enough to grow the plants produce a lot of heat, which raises the humidity and leads to problems watering the plants, and scale rot....

now, you might be able to get away with it if you use LEDs and kept a fan on the tank to keep the humidity down. regardless, corn snakes are ill suited for a planted terrarium.

i have had pretty decent success with various watersnakes and garter snakes though. some of the blue eastern garters can be quite stunning, and they are much more resistant to scale rot than corn snakes.

a snake that will have no problem in a planted terrarium is an eastern ringneck snake. they are my all time favorite snake. the only downside is that they tend to spend a lot of time in the dirt hunting for earthworms. they can handle very high levels of humidity, are easy to keep if you can get them earthworms, and will breed readily if you have a healthy pair(you need baby worms to raise the young). plus, they are so small they are cute as hell.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote