New Nano tank owner. How am I doing?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Sc0pe92
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 12
Default

New Nano tank owner. How am I doing?


Hello ive had my tank set up for about 2 months now. After trial and error my tank seems to have been running great.

What I currently have in the tank

3 Amazon Swords
1 Anubias Nana

5 neon tetra (had 6)
1 guppy (had 2)
1 red cherry shrimp (had 2)
2 Nerite Zebra Snails

I did lose one of each fish at the beginning

Well if you had to rate my tank what would you give it

Note: This is my first tank ever in my life. So I am very new to the hobby.

Thinking of adding 2 platties this weekend and replace the fish I lost in the beginning. Also what other plants should I put I was thinking a Moss Ball in the bottom right corner theres an empty space there but need some expert ideas on what to put. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mytank.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	89826  

Sc0pe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
joey24dirt
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 132
Default

For your first go its looking good. Nice and clean. Just be careful you don't overstock the tank and cause the fish stress with poor water quality. It can be so hard to hold back though lol
__________________
joey24dirt
joey24dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fort Knox
Posts: 401
Default

How many gallons is that tank? I would hesitate to put platies in there, based on the size of the tank and that they breed worse than rabbits. I would add to those cherries instead. The neons may go after the shrimp so keep an eye on them.

Those swords will also get quite large in there so be prepared to trim! Also, make sure that only the roots of the anubias are in the gravel and that the rhizome is NOT buried, they don't like that much.

Looks like you are off to a great start! Love the clean and simple look!

Oh yeah and maybe get some moss on the driftwood for cover for the shrimpies!
__________________
*I'm Barbbb girl, in a fishy world! No more plastic, It's fantastic!*
Barbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Sc0pe92
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbgirl View Post
How many gallons is that tank? I would hesitate to put platies in there, based on the size of the tank and that they breed worse than rabbits. I would add to those cherries instead. The neons may go after the shrimp so keep an eye on them.

Those swords will also get quite large in there so be prepared to trim! Also, make sure that only the roots of the anubias are in the gravel and that the rhizome is NOT buried, they don't like that much.

Looks like you are off to a great start! Love the clean and simple look!

Oh yeah and maybe get some moss on the driftwood for cover for the shrimpies!
Thanks for the feedback! It is a 12 gallon tank

And as far as the anubias I did lose one I had before because I buried the rhizome(did not know) but this one is currently doing fine. What moss is recommended to grow on the wood?
Sc0pe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Darth Toro
Planted Member
 
Darth Toro's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hicksville, NY
Posts: 211
Default

You could go with flame moss, Christmas moss, java moss. Looks great for you first tank! Defintely watch the over stocking. You could go with smaller fish then the platies. Maybe Ember tetras they are much smaller and have a reddish hue to them.
__________________
Nikon Pimp #081
Darth Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Sc0pe92
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 12
Default

So having 2 guppies 2 platies and 6 tetras would be overstocking?
Sc0pe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: now i know your a stalker ;)
Posts: 395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0pe92 View Post
So having 2 guppies 2 platies and 6 tetras would be overstocking?

the general rule of thumb is to have one gallon per inch of FULLY GROWN fish. you have to account for how big the fish will grow when it is an adult. some people dont like to follow this rule but its a good idea to follow if you are just starting out. honestly i always like to understock my fish tanks because it gives me some wiggle room when it comes to water changes. that means that if i skip a scheduled water change, everything will be fine because i dont have the maximum amount of fish. if i were you, i would stop getting fish and start getting more shrimp because cherries are nice and do not produce much waste. take it easy on the fish and do some 20-30% water changes every week or two. good luck!
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Sc0pe92
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
the general rule of thumb is to have one gallon per inch of FULLY GROWN fish. you have to account for how big the fish will grow when it is an adult. some people dont like to follow this rule but its a good idea to follow if you are just starting out. honestly i always like to understock my fish tanks because it gives me some wiggle room when it comes to water changes. that means that if i skip a scheduled water change, everything will be fine because i dont have the maximum amount of fish. if i were you, i would stop getting fish and start getting more shrimp because cherries are nice and do not produce much waste. take it easy on the fish and do some 20-30% water changes every week or two. good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Im learning as I go. How about some red crystal shrimp are they easy to care for?
Sc0pe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012