wanting to start a planted tank need HELP
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
TheFisherOfCichlids1
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

wanting to start a planted tank need HELP

I have a 55gal tank and want to start a planted tank in it i have a dual t8 with 25watt bulbs in it and a t12 with a full spectrum spectrum 40w bulb in it and that's what i am starting with, for now all i have is a sword and rainbow fish in it and don't know if those lights will grow the sword or not, but wondering if that's enough to even grow low light plants? and should i dose the tank with chemicals and what kind. Plus how should in boost up my lights over the glass tank lids.
TheFisherOfCichlids1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Hey, starting a planted tank is fun. I just kinda did what felt right. your light should be enough for lowlight stuff, but more light would be better, if you have money for the right equipment, I would highly suggest you look into "high-tevh tanks" which have high light, co2 dosing and fertilizers. if you dont have money, you can get by with your lights. You can dose EI method If you want to or just dose seachem products. EI is cheaper however. but before you do anything, you should buy yourself a couple bags of plant substrate. eco complete, flourite, fluval stratum, ect.... they are pretty much the absolute neccesity in any planted tanks. lowtech or hightech.
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
TheFisherOfCichlids1
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the help i wish i had the money but dont, but i will get some of the plant substrate, but will the plants grow slower than normal?
TheFisherOfCichlids1 is offline   Reply With Quote