Getting Bolivian rams to pair
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
QuoVadis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Getting Bolivian rams to pair

For a couple months I have had what I believe to be a pair of Bolivian rams in my 55g tank. I have looked at some really good tutorials of how to sex rams and I would say I am pretty confident I have a male and female. (I intentionally bought two I believed were male and female, when Petsmart was having a sale and selling them for like $3 each.) The "male" is slightly more colorful and has slightly longer fins, has a noticeable smaller ventricle, and his head looks a little different than the female. But the problem is that they don't seem to know they are male and female and are not pairing up. In fact the male chases the female, not violently, but consistently. (I also have a pair of GBR in the tank that I got recently at Petsmart on sale, and they are definitely a pair, and always hang out together, and look quite different. I wouldn't be surprised if they breed soon, because they are in full breeding coloration.)

So anyway, is there something I can do to encourage them to pair up? They have been getting good, varied food, and to me at least seem mature enough to be pairing. I know ideally you get a group and let them pair themselves, but is there anything I can do?
QuoVadis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

1.) What temp do you keep the tank?
2.) What is your current PH? Keep in mind, this is VERY important to have successful eggs to hatch and develop. (needs to be around 6.0-6.4 anything higher = bad)
3.) From what I read you will need to do 1x Male 2x Females to get the party started.

Feed them bloodworms and do a water change (1-2 degrees colder than your current tank) this will get them in the mood (sorta like playing Barry Manilow)

During this time, the colors on the Rams will start to color up. They will get aggressive toward other fish. One of the members of my club have a breeding pair and they got so aggressive they ripped off the fins of an Angelfish that was in their spawning grounds.

I would suggest picking up another female.

The other thing is make sure they do not have any internal parasite. One of my guys from my club had the worm and they didn't do anything but sit around...

Last edited by Drowki; 02-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: add something to my post
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.