CRS Low PH
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
andusbeckus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CRS Low PH

I will be ready to get some CRS in a week or two but My PH is a bit below the ideal range. It is 5.5 - 6.0 (test is in steps of 0.5) and wonder if this will effect the shrimp at all? I know people have had success with a high PH but not many post about having a PH below 5 so if anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear about it.

I use 100% RO water with Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ and my substrate is ADA Malaya.

Thanks
andusbeckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

They will be fine in that ph. Just acclimate them slowly in case they are coming from a different ph. What is your set up and how long has it been up and running?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
andusbeckus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcuda View Post
They will be fine in that ph. Just acclimate them slowly in case they are coming from a different ph. What is your set up and how long has it been up and running?
I have a 60L with ADA malaya substrate and it is heavily planted. I have Co2 at a low rate (never goes past dark green) and dose EI daily. It has been running for 1 month with an established filter and has no fish or shrimp yet. The substrate is still leaching ammonia slightly so just waiting for it to go before I add anything.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

If your shrimp aren't coming from tanks that are dosed regularly with fertilizer, you could run into problems. That'll be more of an issue to deal with than pH.

What's your GH? KH? Those are important parameters to know.

Unless you're an experienced shrimper, it may be better for you to keep Neos until you get the hang of what works with even lower grade Crystals.

If you're absolutely set on Crystals, then you're going to need to do things slowly. Stop CO2 injection, stop the fert dosing and allow the shrimp to settle for a few days before you start things up again. And then, do so slowly and incrementally.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

My old tank was Netlea soil which would bring the pH down to 4.8 and my CRS did fine in it.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
andusbeckus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If your shrimp aren't coming from tanks that are dosed regularly with fertilizer, you could run into problems. That'll be more of an issue to deal with than pH.

What's your GH? KH? Those are important parameters to know.

Unless you're an experienced shrimper, it may be better for you to keep Neos until you get the hang of what works with even lower grade Crystals.

If you're absolutely set on Crystals, then you're going to need to do things slowly. Stop CO2 injection, stop the fert dosing and allow the shrimp to settle for a few days before you start things up again. And then, do so slowly and incrementally.
I use RO water with Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ which puts the GH at about 5 and KH at 0. I will definitely do things slowly when I finally get them and I do have my heart set on CRS!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i would start with s grade they tend to be more hardy than some of the high grades and are still pretty. but then i like more red on them myself so i like the lower grades lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote