Reccomend a dog for my family - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #46
jake10
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
Golden Retriever as a family dog
Amen to that
I love them

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #47
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Do consider a pit bull if that's an option where you live. Most of them will be a bit smaller than what you said you want, but they do have the beefy looks, and they are truly awesome dogs with kids. As someone said, pits are high-energy dogs, but exercised regularly, they tend to be calm dogs around the house. I have a 2-year-old pit and a 9-month old baby. The dog started mellowing when the kid was born, so it was perfect timing. Now he's incredibly gentle with the baby and wants to be with the family every second of his life.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #48
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Reccomend a dog for my family

Great Dane is our breed and we had them for 30 years. Contrary to popular believes, very large dogs do not require lots of room as they are pretty sedentary and like their sleep. Danes make excellent apartment dogs as couple of 30 min walks a day keep them happy. Both of our kids grew up with Danes from age 0 - a better babysitter is hard to find. They also tend to stay out of trouble as they do not have anything to prove, given their size. They are extremely loyal and make great bodyguards, especially for their female owners and kids. I call them a 'girl's best friend'. Their reputation of gentle giants is well deserved, but you do not want to argue with one. In middle ages they were used to hunt wild boars.

But in the end, you get a dog you deserve: they are not just pets - they are family members, what you put in is what you get out. DogFish all the way: training and socialization is what makes a dog a good dog.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #49
dtang21
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have a golden retriever/Australian Shepherd mix. Very well behaved and now that she's older, she's very mellow. Loves being around people. When you are outside, she will come and and lay by your side. She sheds a lot so she needs to be groomed frequently.

I've heard that french bulldogs are nice dogs. They might be worth checking out.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #50
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Well I have been doing some looking and finding an American bulldog is going to be hard. I did go by the pound today and found a great playful pit. A little smaller then I was looking for but I fell in love with it. Sadly I was unable to adopt him as their power had gone out and they were unable to complete any adoptions. They are closed tomorrow but will reopen Thursday. I am going to try to be there when they open and pick him up. I will keep you guys updated as to what happens.
Thank you for all of your replies.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #51
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Best of luck with the Pit Puppy.

I do not want to steal your thunder but this is an important consideration. I would suggest the pup go straight to a your Vet for a health check. If there are major health issues better to make a decision with the guidance of the Vet BEFORE you fall in love with the puppy.

Do find out what the pound rules/polices are should there be a serious health issue.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #52
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

And we are expecting Pics!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #53
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Okay so I know earlier I said there was no pound in my area as they lost funding, well it had been a few months since I had been by and they have since reopened. With that said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Best of luck with the Pit Puppy.

I do not want to steal your thunder but this is an important consideration. I would suggest the pup go straight to a your Vet for a health check. If there are major health issues better to make a decision with the guidance of the Vet BEFORE you fall in love with the puppy.

Do find out what the pound rules/polices are should there be a serious health issue.
The pit is 1y/o (according to the pound) and looks and acts about right. The way the pound here works is the dogs are $87 if not fixed and $37 if fixed. Well this little guy isn't...yet. When you adopt one who hasn't been fixed and is old enough they transport it to the vet of my choice and have it spayed/neutered and rabies shots, then the vet calls you for pick up. I am also going to have the vet look it over and see how it's doing.
I will talk to the people at the pound and see what their policy on serious health problems are, thanks for that heads up.

I honestly wasn't even going to look at a pit or any other "aggressive" breeds thinking my insurance wouldn't cover it, but I called them today and they don't restrict any breed including wolf. So I broadened my search and while there I fell in love with this dog. He is a little smaller than I was looking for but what are you gonna do. Now my only dilemma is I need to be there Thursday first in the door to get him. When I tried today and was told the power was out I was a little let down but the girl behind the counter told me she would come in tomorrow and adopt him out for me as they are closed Wednesday and that is my only off day but then someone piped up and said someone else was coming Thursday to adopt him. So now I just need to make sure I leave some open time to be there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
And we are expecting Pics!!!

Oh I know how forums work, pics or ban.

Thanks again for all the help to everyone.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #54
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Well folks I have a new pitbull as of today. I will get some pictures taken and up this weekend.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #55
amygirl11
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Love is the number one ingredient. Purebred, non-purebred, rescue, or non rescue. You can over look alot as long as you LOVE the dog. Congrats to you and your family. BTW, I have 4 dogs. 3 purebreds, 1 non, 2 are recues, and 2 are not.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #56
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Pit are one of the smartest breed.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #57
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by amygirl11 View Post
Love is the number one ingredient. Purebred, non-purebred, rescue, or non rescue. You can over look alot as long as you LOVE the dog. Congrats to you and your family. BTW, I have 4 dogs. 3 purebreds, 1 non, 2 are recues, and 2 are not.
Most of my dogs have been rescues. My lab is from craigslist and as you all know the pit is from the pound. My sons cat also came from the pound.
My favorite dog of all time was from the pound, I had to put her down 2 years ago after 16 years. I took the day off work and cried with my sister as we buried her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Pit are one of the smartest breed.
I have heard that before and from what I hear that can be good as well as bad. I had a friend who has one and hers would climb a 7' privacy fence on a regular basis. This one will have it much easier as it is only a 4' chain link. But they won't be in the back yard for to long as my dogs are indoor dogs.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #58
Magnum26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I cba to read through all of this thread so if it's been said already tough. :P

Chocolate Lab

Last edited by lauraleellbp; 02-25-2013 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: language
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #59
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

When I got my Am. Staff. I did a lot of research on their origins. This is what I found.

A lot of American Staffordshire Terrier (American Pitbull Terriers) need a job to help burn off energy. They were bred to be a farm/hunting dog.

Their original jobs were to herd, pull carts, guard the farm and hunt game. They are fast, strong, loyal and good trackers.

A lot of people don't hunt for this info and go with the "they were bred to fight" nonsense. If trained properly, their smarts make them great family dogs.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #60
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

The origanal term "Bull & Terrier", the common 'Pitt Bull" or the politically Correct American Staffordshire Terrier, are what they are today and were what they were back then. I find it rather perverse to try to "sugar coat" the dogs history.

The "farm" duties in the 1800's were far from being an episode of "Lassie". The Bulldog were used to Bait bulls i.e.. catch them by the nose & head. It was thought that the adrenaline rush prior to slaughter would improve the beef. Terrier blood was crossed in to increase the aggressiveness. The Bull & terrier was created. Those dogs were the ancestors of the Pitt Bulls that were later fought for sport in England and here in America.

The UKC (United Kennel Club) original was a register for dog fitting Pitt bulls.

True Pitt Bulls are 30# to 40# dogs. In the last 25 years people have been cross breeding in am. Bulldogs to create todays "Bully" dogs. Which get lumped into the category PittBull.

In the USA the hunting use is for catching wild boar. Which while they do well as a catch dog, they tend to be too aggressive with the Curs & Hounds also used to hunt the boar.

The single reason the a Pitt Bull is so good with people is the breeding history. Dogs were selected to be responsive to humans so they could be conditioned to the ring.

The key to responsible ownership is to understand the breed.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-26-2013 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: sp
Closed Thread