The Planted Tank Forum banner

First planted tank. ADA Mini-L. 808, HI !!!FILLED 3/25/13!!!

18K views 98 replies 25 participants last post by  gowfan05 
#1 · (Edited)
4/20/13:

3/25/13:

2/23/13:

2/15/13:

2/11/13:

So like the title states, this is my first planted tank. I've been doing reef tanks for the past 5 years, and recently moved to Hawaii. Since there are limits to having a reef tank here, I decided to try a planted tank. I've always wanted to do one, just never got around to it. Found a brand new ADA Mini-L on craigslist and jumped on it. That was two months ago which gives you a little idea on how slow I've been going with this whole build. So far this is what I have:

Equipment:
ADA Mini-L
Finnex Ray II LED Daylight: 7000k Dual LED Strips
Eheim 2213
Atomic CO2 Regulator V3 (ordered)
Atomic CO2 Diffuser - Inline (ordered)
Atomic CO2 Bubble Counter (ordered)

Stand:
DIY ADA Stand
- Rustoleum Ultimate Sunbleach Stain
- Rustoleum Ultimate Satin Finish
DIY Light Suspension Hanging Kit

Tools:
Do!Aqua Pincettes S (ordered)
Do!Aqua Scissors S-Curved (ordered)

Supplements:
Pfertz (N,P,K,M)
Flourish Excel

Hardscape:
Aquasoil New Amazonia (Normal and Powder type)
Ryouh Stones

Plants:
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Dwarf Hair Grass (waiting for shipment to Aquascapes)

"To get" list:
Hydor ETH 200
CAL AQUA FLUXUS 13mm
CAL AQUA "Nano" Drop Checker

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here's how I built my stand. This was my first "carpentry" work I've ever done. There are some flaws but I'm pretty proud of myself. Most important, it's solid as a rock and my tank is level. Oh and in pictures you can't see the flaws haha.

Figured the easiest way was to have HD cut the wood and put it together using a Kregjig.

*notice my workbench

Drilled two holes in the back

I used Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain - Sunbleached. Finished it off with Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane Satin.

#3 · (Edited)
Here's my light setup.

I didn't like the way the Finnex Ray 2 took away from the rimless look so I wanted to hang it. Unfortunately, they don't make a hanging kit so I had to come up with a way to do so.

I found some stuff in the picture hanging section and attached them to the light.

Also picked up some wire and ferrules to hang it with.

And then comes the bars to hang the light. Didn't have any pictures of me bending the bars but basically I used one 10' conduit bar, cut it in half, and made 90 degree bends. I hate how they don't normally make any caps to cover the holes so I had to get a little creative. I used rounded wood plugs.

Painted the bars a matte black and attached them to the back of the stand. And here's what I'm left with!

#20 · (Edited)
#21 ·
Nice, I really like both scapes. I second what crazydog64 said regarding the HC covering the lower stones. I really liked the plastic divider idea..sorry to hear it didn't work out though. I'm sure you could use some stainless steel (if you can find it at a hardware store) for the dividers if you want to give that a shot. Can't wait to see this tank develop!

#22 ·
Thanks for the reply.

To be on the safe side, I just plan on doing regular maintenance to keep the DHG in check. In some of the areas, the rocks will provide a barrier that'll suffice.

As for the HG covering the lower stones, those are basically stones I wouldn't mind being covered. I'll do regular trimming if I decide to have the stones to be shown or not.

#24 · (Edited)
Here's an update.

Planted GHG and HC. Overnight, I found fuzzy mold on my DHG and saw the beginnings of web-like fungus on my HC. I spot treated with H2O2 solution and excel. I opened two small openings of the syran wrap but I hope that the higher HC doesn't dry out. I misted the higher HC lightly with excel solution monitor it for today and seal it again when the lights turn off.

#25 · (Edited)
Here's a little update.

So since the start of my planting I've closed the two air holes and have kept it sealed. Everyday I let it air out each day for about 15 minutes. Every morning I've been spot treating with a 1:3 H2O2 solution with a dropper and mist every other day with water/excel and it seems like it's doing the trick. I've noticed less fungus/mold each day.

On the bright side, everything is healthy and it looks like my HC is growing new roots! (sorry for the picture, wish I had a macro lens to shoot with)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.