ShrimpZoo's 30gal CRS/CBS/Golden Breeding Tank - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #76
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

only if the seed gives genetic hardiness and not physique to offspring ;D I will welcome it! that would be awesome ._.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #77
FrogsAreDogs

PTrader: (0/0%)

DAWG get yo self some sulawesi its worth it trust me bro

trussst
FrogsAreDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #78
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Do you have any berried shrimp/babies yet?

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #79
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, yeah I have like at least 6 of them berried from what I can see (saw like 4 CRS and 2 CBS berried), possibly more . No babies sighted yet though, but I am definitely preparing for them.

First I thought I had only 1 CRS berried but then I saw 2 CRS berried and realized they were switching with each other in the spotlight lol (so that was an awesome surprise). Then I saw a bunch more berries when I was checking on what I thought were the only 2 berried shrimp for hatched/dropped the eggs (at this point I was having a mini celebration inside).

Been feeding MosuraBioplus every 3 days (Sundays & Wednesdays) so the babies will definitely have something to feed on. and Saturdays is food for adults.

Right now I'm trying to "fix" my TDS and gH so it is down to 5 gH and ~175 TDS. It is at 185 TDS and 6gH as of today. Going to be doing 10% RO WCs until I hit that spot I really want.

Going to be doing WCs every 2 weeks with the week in-between for RO top off once this issue is fixed.

Hopefully all goes well and I get to see shrimplets (: !!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #80
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just felt like updating this journal since I feel it has changed a fair amount and progressed nicely lol

What I've changed:
- Added 23" Marineland Bubble Wand (for oxygenation)
- Added Ebiken Shou/Nagomi (for trace minerals)
- Added Indian Almond Leaves (for biofilm w/ magical tannin juices)
- Added peacock moss to left of the tank
- Replaced feeding dish with reptile water dish to look more "realistic" (blend in)
- Replaced light with Zoomed Florasun (pinkish hue)
- Removed frogbit and replaced with riccia (floating)

Babies are now everywhere and survival rate is looking pretty good. Hopefully it remains that way and I can hit my goal of ~200 CRS/CBS. Planning to add White Goldens into the mix.

Ideal tank paramaters are set at:
~200 TDS
~5.5-6.0 pH
~ 4-5 gH
~ 0-1 kH
~ Temp 21-23'C

Anyways, just thought I'd ask 1 question while posting an update about my aquarium:

Will my riccia pull through? The one that yellowing. It became yellow because it wasn't in direct light of the aquarium (which is why the other 2 are perfectly fine). And the skewer system I made is there to position and keep the riccia in direct lighting.

Also, will the Java Moss be okay with the riccia island floating on top of it? I hope the shade of the riccia won't start killing my Java moss.

Thanks for reading (: !
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #81
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Wow your java moss recovered very well! Initially it was very brown and what not !

Ricca has always grown out of control for me, to the point I threw it all away since I couldn't keep it attached on anything. I would wait ~1week for and see if the ricca recovers. If it doens't just chuck the yellowing sections out and the healthier parts should regrow.

As for java moss lighting, I don't think it will mind being partially shaded. It's not a high light plant. What will actually happen is that the java moss on the way bottom of that bush will slowly die off.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #82
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol yeah the java moss made a full recovery and is smothering the driftwood beneath it. But meh, the driftwood is so the shrimp have a nice little tunnel system where they can gamble and have fun.

I will return to the tank again in 2 or 3 weeks and see if it shows any signs of improvement.

and lol wow the java moss at the very bottom slowly dies off o.o I hope that stuff dissolves away so the java moss doesn't keep piling on and on and on and blow the roof of my aquarium off (not literally but yeah).
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #83
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

You dont' feed this tank every week? Only every 2-3 weeks?

Yea.. the problem is if you let it get too bushy as the bottom dies it will become detached from your DW. You should give it a trim and sell some off to make sure that doesn't happen.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #84
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Quote:

and lol wow the java moss at the very bottom slowly dies off o.o I hope that stuff dissolves away so the java moss doesn't keep piling on and on and on and blow the roof of my aquarium off[censored]
That does happen! It turns really light green underneath but doesn't die, just stays dormant but keeps growing over and over until tank is full
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #85
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Riccia has made a come back and is green green green.

However, I've decided to fix the problem where if the riccia grows out of the path of light it will yellow up and die.

I've replaced my hood with a glass hinged top and replaced my single T8 fixture with a Dual T5HO fixture with mounting legs.

- AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures (36")

I'm just hoping I won't be melting my low light plants. AKA my marimo balls/java ferns/java moss/peacock moss.

Do you guys think this might happen? I set the timer on 7 hours a day (11:30AM --> 6:30PM). I will probably make a thread about this on the light thread and see what the responses are.

Anyways, here are the pics lol:

I love this lighting. Makes everything oh so pretty.

Well that is all for updates. In the future I plan on implementing a sump and designing my breeder box to start selectively breeding shrimp with golden bees I plan to obtain and/or have the box hold CRS/CBS I plan to sell to people for quick capture.

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #86
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Golden Bees have now been obtained! Yay!

Arrived through the mail and were so stressed they looked like orange neos...

My drip acclimating set-up

Them being settled in and colouring back to what I hoped they would be *whew*:

and here is the tank as it is today. I have trimmed it a bunch and it looks much neater... and I used my trimmings as a filter media for my breeder box filter L-O-L

Future plans: get taiwan bees/michlings for my birthday and find a sponge filter I can use to fit into my breeder box to have it actually running as a breeder box rather than a ghetto HOB filter.

Been looking into poret foam 4" cube filters (http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%...er%20Foam.html). If someone could recommend me a mini/micro sponge filter that can fit into a marina HOB breeder box (large) perfectly I would love to hear it.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #87
FrogsAreDogs

PTrader: (0/0%)

Insane in the membrane
FrogsAreDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #88
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is epic!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #89
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Looking great.

I don't think you'll need a sponge filter for the breeder box. I've bred tons of babies in mine with just substrate and moss. As long as you have some moss in it, you'll be fine.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #90
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh cool, so no need for filtration in the breeder box, but would oxygenation be a problem then? Seems like the drip coming from the breeder box tube isn't disturbing the surface of the water much.

Should I at least implement an air stone or is the breeder box fine on its own without a filter & bubbler lol. Just want to be sure (: