90 gallon aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

90 gallon aquarium

So I was thinking about maybe upgrading from a 56 gallon column tank, to a 90 gallon tank.

Would this be worth it? And doesn't the 90 gallon tall tanks have the same footprint as a 55/75 gallon tank?

Only thing that would really, really be a huge drawback is the price

629 on sale for everything at petsmart.... 699 the regular price...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Xalyx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you want it then get it. I'm trying to downgrade from a 55 gallon to a ADA Mini M. Those huge tanks are nothing if you can't scape it. Bigger is harder to scape. Depends on your interest.
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

I feel like scaping my 56 gallon, which is only 30 in length, really difficult. It's 30 W x 18 D x 24 H, which is pretty high. But the dimensions of a 90 gallon are the exact same, it's just 48 inches in length.

would a stand for a 55/75 gallon tank work? would that be cheaper if I just ordered the tank by itself, and bought a stand seperately?

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-16-2013 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: ....
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love my 90 gal tank. The big pluses are the 18 in front to back and the 4 foot front. It gives me the space to really do something. Don't get me wrong, many of the small tanks can be real gems, but my 90 can look like that across the room.

Is it worth it? Well, the comes down to how much do you want to spend and what do you want to get out of you system. For me, I'd do it again, for others the lower cost of the 55 might be a big factor. Personally, I think you get a much better effect using a 90 verses a 55. That larger volume of water doesn't hurt either, especially if you want big fish.

As for the aquascape, I don't consider a large tank to be much more difficult that a small one, Like anything else, you do need to select items so that they work in the size tank you are doing. For example, a piece of driftwood that looks great in a 10 gal tank is going to be lost in a 90. Also, when you stock a large tank you might use a lot more fish of the same species. 6 small tetras will make a nice school in a 10 gal tank, but you might want 30 of them in a large tank.

With a 90's front to back of 18 inches, verses a 55 gal tanks 12 inches, a 55 gal stand will not work. However many people build their own stands to save money.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

It's something that would definitly take a lot of time and effort. the biggest issue is the price lol That, and where to get it, and how to get it home. the stand for the 56 gallon column tank just barely fit in my backseat

the only reason I'm really even considering it, is because I was thinking about doing it with some of my income tax return :p
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Xalyx
Planted Member

Even if you got the tank, a bigger tank cost way more to stock. If you can only afford the tank than you can't afford it. A 90G is a couple thousand dollars of investment maybe more.
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

I actually looked at one at a LFS the other day. it's way too big for my liking.

I think what I'm going to do is probably upgrade/downgrade to Aqueon's 45 gallon tall tank, which is on sale right now for 187.99. Dimensions are 36L x 13W x 24H, and even though it's 45 gallons which is less than my current tank, it's obviously bigger lengthwise. I want a longer tank so I can really plant it a lot more. Should help my stocking options, too.

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-19-2013 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: ....
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
It's something that would definitly take a lot of time and effort. the biggest issue is the price lol That, and where to get it, and how to get it home. the stand for the 56 gallon column tank just barely fit in my backseat

the only reason I'm really even considering it, is because I was thinking about doing it with some of my income tax return :p
lol I somehow managed to squeeze a 90G into the backseat of my little Honda Civic. Took some maneuvering, but I did it.

I'd definitely say look at getting a used aquarium. Cuts costs waaaay down. I have 2 90's one I paid $100 just for the tank, and the other I paid $500 for a tank, stand, ton of decor, fluval 404, aquaclear110, a bunch of other stuff....

Also i've see some people mentioning a large pet store chain having a $1 per Gallon sale on occasion? You'd have to ask around cus I've personally never had the fortune to come across a sale like that.
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

I saw a 65 gallon tank the other day used with some crappy stand for 120 bucks. good deal. but I'm not really into the whole used thing. I like everything clean looking lol

If I had a huge place, yeah I'd totally love to have a 90, or even a 125 gallon planted tank.

But I don't, and I still live at home, and my parents have put up with my fishtank obsession enough, and thought it was bad enough when I got the 56 gallon, being there's limited room where I have it and upgraded from a tank that was a 25 gallon tall. So I ain't even about to get a tank that's 48 inches long. I'd love to, though.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Have you thought about a 75 or 72 gallon tank?

and the 65 Gallon tANKS ARE 3FT long
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

if you find a 75 or 90 gal used, n the price is too good 2 be true... Get it

you can clean it yourself lol, it will be worth it.

i bought a 46 bow, 90, n 72 bow all used, soak it in bleach for a day, then get those hard water spots out...
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Blackheart
Wannabe Guru

I still wouldn't have any room really to put the 75 or 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens81jw View Post
and the 65 Gallon tANKS ARE 3FT long
I know, but the more I think of it, the 18 inch width bothers me. makes it difficult to scape.

Last edited by Blackheart; 02-19-2013 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: ..
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
subvet

I used to have 55's and now have a 90. Love it! Only drawback is it's depth. Good thing I have long arms.
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.