Film on Inside of Tank Glass...Need Advice & Help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Film on Inside of Tank Glass...Need Advice & Help!

Alright..I have had tanks for quite some time and I have never had this issue. Look at the pictures and please tell me what the heck this white film is on the inside of the tank and it is really hard to get off.

Just to let you know, it is not hard water deposits because I use RO/DI water.

Would dosing a little bit of Magnesium do this???

How do I get it off!!! Help and advice would greatly be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

try using a razor and see if it comes off (scrape the outside as well just to double check) and let us know if that works.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
try using a razor and see if it comes off (scrape the outside as well just to double check) and let us know if that works.
It is definitely on the inside as you can see in the second pic where I took my finger and tried rubbing it off. I have tried an algae scrapper with a metal blade and it won't take it off.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
kal_daka87
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Try soaking it with vinegar for a bit and see if that gets it off. Sometimes the glass just ends up "etched" and the only way to remove it is to polish it out.

Also even tho you're using RO/DI water there's other elements in the aquarium that will dissolve minerals into the water.
kal_daka87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal_daka87 View Post
Try soaking it with vinegar for a bit and see if that gets it off. Sometimes the glass just ends up "etched" and the only way to remove it is to polish it out.

Also even tho you're using RO/DI water there's other elements in the aquarium that will dissolve minerals into the water.
I will try some vinegar on my next water change. This tank is only a year old so I hope it is not etched already!

I am going to stop dosing magnesium. I think that is what is causing this since I have never had this issue until I started to dose it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
johndimo
Algae Grower

I've had film like that on one of my tanks before. Also you get similar film on coffee pots when the coffee stains the glass pot. I've always taken a dry piece of paper towel and scrubbed it and always work, for the aquarium and coffee pot. It's just abrasive enough to basically scrape it off without scratching the glass. The paper towel will act almost like sand paper. Razor blades have never worked for me for that type of hard film on glass, it's too rigid. I use no chemicals and have never had problems removing hard film from glass with this technique. Works best when the glass is still wet, for example scraping it withing a minute or two after draining the water.

It's amazing how much gunk you can scrub off.
johndimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndimo View Post
I've had film like that on one of my tanks before. Also you get similar film on coffee pots when the coffee stains the glass pot. I've always taken a dry piece of paper towel and scrubbed it and always work, for the aquarium and coffee pot. It's just abrasive enough to basically scrape it off without scratching the glass. The paper towel will act almost like sand paper. Razor blades have never worked for me for that type of hard film on glass, it's too rigid. I use no chemicals and have never had problems removing hard film from glass with this technique. Works best when the glass is still wet, for example scraping it withing a minute or two after draining the water.

It's amazing how much gunk you can scrub off.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Hlh
Algae Grower

I've been getting something similar since starting dry ferts. I use a razor blade on it. But I wish it didn't happen at all. :-/
Hlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Mr Clean Magic Eraser - plain original version. Tankwater should be enough. If not, put a very small amount of vinegar on it and wipe. Won't take much effort at all.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Mr Clean Magic Eraser - plain original version. Tankwater should be enough. If not, put a very small amount of vinegar on it and wipe. Won't take much effort at all.
Great idea!

If I put vinegar on it, can I go down into the water or will it be to much for the fish?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
johndimo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Great idea!

If I put vinegar on it, can I go down into the water or will it be to much for the fish?
Try without the vinegar first. You'll probably be able to clean it without the help of chemicals.
johndimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Can this Magic Eraser be used under water or are there chemicals added to it?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

the standard magic erasers, not scented or bleaching or anything but just plain ones have no chemicals. they are just a super fine micro-pore sponge.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Magic Eraser works! Now just to clean all the tank walls.

Thanks so much.

Still think it is from the Magnesium dosing so am going to not dose that anymore and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Magic Eraser works! Now just to clean all the tank walls.

Thanks so much.

Still think it is from the Magnesium dosing so am going to not dose that anymore and see what happens.
I get the same thing on the inside of mine which I've attributed to using Equilibrium and as mentioned above, a magic eraser cleans it up.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote