puny swordplant
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
jaybird002
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

puny swordplant

How can I get my Amazon swordplant to grow taller in my 29-gallon tank? It was almost a foot tall when I got it, and the first leaves it put out were almost as tall, although with shorter stems since it was now growing submerged. Later, the leaves kept getting shorter and thinner. Although the plant puts out a large number of leaves, it now is no taller than the anubias nana, hardly the eye-catching center piece I had hoped for.

I have a plain gravel substrate with a couple of spoonfulls of laterite near the swordplant. Lighting is 55w compact fluorescent, 10 hours a day. PH about 7.8, water moderately hard. I place Flourish tabs by the swordplant and add a little Kent micronutrient liquid supplement every few weeks.

Hornwort and anubias grow fine. Dwarf sag is pale but sending out new plants with runners. An ozelot swordplant that came in a tiny pot now is almost as tall as the underachieving Amazon sword. Algae is under control ever since I put in some vine-type ivy stems and let the leaves grow out of the tank. I think it sucks up the nutrients the algae need.

Tank is lightly stocked. I do partial water change and gravel vacuum about once a month, less often than before, but plants grow better now.

Is the problem a nutrient deficiency? Any suggestions to make the swordplant grow bigger?

Thanks for your help.
jaybird002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
lumpyfunk
Green Water Master

PTrader: (32/100%)

This is just a guess, but I have a tiger lotus in my low tech and it is tiny compared to the one in my mid tech tank. so it could just be the way it grows in your conditions.
lumpyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
GreenerSideofLIfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

sometimes plants die back.

This doesnt mean that they are dead, but rather its like the lul before they have a growth spurt. You might also have an issue with not enough light or other peramaters. You can defiantly low-tech it with swords however they do have basic needs. I also have swords in a 29 low tech and right now, they look dredful. Why? When they were transplanted they died back in a big way. Now they are FINALY starting to pick up.

Make sure the basic needs are being met, then things should improve if you give them time. Keep us updated!
GreenerSideofLIfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.