Reccomend a dog for my family - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #31
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I've never met an American Bulldog that was a couch potato. My dad has one that has more energy than it knows what to do with. I've had friend that have had them too and they were anything but calm. I have a Catahoula Bulldog that you can see the pent up energy sparking from his eyes if he's not worked out daily. It's all I can do to get him to chill more than 20min at a time so I can relax around the house. And my Dutch Shepherd...ha...don't even think twice about getting one if you want a lazy dog.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #32
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I don't want a lazy dog, I just don't want a dog that is running full speed laps around my house knocking the kids over. I have no problem going outside and walking the dog, or throwing a ball/Frisbee/rope/etc till they cant go anymore. But at the end of the day when it's time to wind down and chill for an hour or so before bed I'd like some calm and quite.

I'll be honest I will need some instruction in training as it's been a while since I have trained one and never really had one trained well.

I think the catalouha looks like an awesome dog, and the thought of having something capable of boar hunting is great. I have actually been looking for some property in east Tennessee to do some boar hunting in. But I don't want something extremely hard to train either. I'm still really looking at a bulldog.

I had a neighbor a few years ago who had a one year old American bulldog that was 105lbs of solid muscle and hadn't stopped growing, great dog. Very intimidating yet very sweet and was great with my kids. If I get one I'd like one that will get big. I don't know why but I have always preferred the larger breed dogs and then I still want one that is a little larger than normal.

Years ago I had a pure black lab who on his hind legs was over 6' and weighed in at 110lbs. To be honest it was the meanest dog I had ever had. Was never treated wrong, just very territorial. There were two people (my brothers) who didn't live in the house who could come in without the dog having to go in a cage. Over his life he put one in the hospital and bit countless others for coming in the yard or house. Yet my kids could take his food, beat him with toys, pull his ears and he would lay there and lick them all day long.

Anyway I'm rambling. Well I'm off to bed I will pick this back up tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #33
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I don't want a lazy dog, I just don't want a dog that is running full speed laps around my house knocking the kids over.
I get this everyday with my bulldog. YMMV.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Golden retriever! My girl is a huge baby. They are a very nice breed they just like to be with you! She cries when I'm not home at my usual time to just be there with her. She's my baby girl. :3

^^ That is what she does all day.

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #35
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
I don't want a lazy dog, I just don't want a dog that is running full speed laps around my house knocking the kids over. I have no problem going outside and walking the dog, or throwing a ball/Frisbee/rope/etc till they cant go anymore. But at the end of the day when it's time to wind down and chill for an hour or so before bed I'd like some calm and quite.

Understand that any dog that will be larger will be big enough in it's 1st year + puppy energy to be knocking down kids. This is were training comes in. As a private trainer my biggest problem is unrealistic expectations of owners. Instant perfect dog only happens on TV. Keep in mind they edit those shows. The 2nd big problem is exercise, a big back yard is just alot of lawn to mow. The humans need to be involved. Turning the dog out to pasture doesn't work

I'll be honest I will need some instruction in training as it's been a while since I have trained one and never really had one trained well.

Watch a few google dog training video there are several methods, I follow Dr. Ian Dunbar's methods, I don't like Koehler methods. understanding the principals will help you find a trainer or school you can be happy with

I think the catalouha looks like an awesome dog, and the thought of having something capable of boar hunting is great. I have actually been looking for some property in east Tennessee to do some boar hunting in. But I don't want something extremely hard to train either. I'm still really looking at a bulldog.

Boar hunting dogs need to have the correct instincts/temperament and training starts early about 16wks without those you'll get your dog killed. Boar, bear, Cats are considered Dangerous Game for a good reason. Luckiy where you live there are plenty of Boar hunters so finding a mentor shouldn't be too hard.

Catahoulas are Bay dogs they find and hold the Boar in one place until the hunters arrive.

Bulldogs are Catchdogs they grab the Boar once it's located.

Untrained dogs do not always come home for the hunt. Appreciate the commitment, respect the boar.

Years ago I had a pure black lab who on his hind legs was over 6' and weighed in at 110lbs. To be honest it was the meanest dog I had ever had. Was never treated wrong, just very territorial. There were two people (my brothers) who didn't live in the house who could come in without the dog having to go in a cage. Over his life he put one in the hospital and bit countless others for coming in the yard or house. Yet my kids could take his food, beat him with toys, pull his ears and he would lay there and lick them all day long.

This is what a Purebreed Lad is meant to be in size & temperament

Size-The height at the withers for a dog is 22 to 24 inches; for a bitch is 21 to 23 inches. Any variance greater than inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

Temperament True Labrador Retriever temperament is as much a hallmark of the breed as the "otter" tail. The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog. Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized.

A dog can be purebred but not CORRECT. This were it's important to go to a responsible breeder IF you want a Correct purebred.

American Bulldogs are great breed. If you like the look and size that's a start. Educate your self on the pros & cons next. This is were you need to be very realistic and honest with yourself. An American bulldog is a molosser (mastiff) breed. They are not famous for trainability or fast response to commands.

If that's important look to the herding or field dogs.

With daily exercise they are calm in the house. Be honest about how much walking you are will into to do.

A responcible breeder studies the puppies during the 1st 8wks and they are the best one to pick the right puppy for you. That warm-fuzzy "my puppy picked me" is romantic silliness. That puppy that runs up a licked your face would mostly do that to everyone. For kids the breeder will help you find the puppies that are middle of the road temperament for that breed.

I find girl dogs to be easier to train. I'm not alone in that observation. Go to an agility or obedience completion there not a lot of male dogs to be found.

My female American Bulldog 'Bunny" was more than enough dog to proctect my home and was about 80-85#s.

After hearing more of your thoughts, you might also consider a Boxer.
DogFish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #36
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've never found a shephard to be anyhing but what you want it to be, they follow very well
play when you want to play, sit when you want to sit
they follow the leader to make he responsible decisions, and as long as you act as such. they will follow you until the end of the world

they are generally smart and require a good mental exercise daily, a good physical exercise daily, and the rest is follow the leader

worked great when i was a kid, and now im the boss and still does.
i did 2 years ago get a black lab and your right, energy energy energy.. happily knocks kids over to get that mystical ball you've just thrown
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
jone
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Try a doberman..very sleek..has plenty of energy..very short haired and a docked tail..Very easy to train and are pretty smart..Maybe a little too smart. You have to invest time in your dog no matter what breed but dobermans become one of your family..(especially acting like a human) From my experience they are family dogs if raised from a puppy in the family enviroment..They become one of the family. Always looking to be part of everything ,also have a great protective instinct for their family...I have never owned another breed and always will have dobermans..I do not know who owns who..As I sit on the floor while my two boys lay on there blankets on the couch...Always 2 dobermans at my house..
jone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

Montgomery County Animal Control & Adoption Service is still there adopting animals.

The Humane Society of Clarksville-Montgomery County is an option, as well.

PetFinder is a great place to start.

Quote:
Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.
somewhatshocked is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #39
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Collies are a great all-around dog. Intelligent, gentle, tolerant of kids, know when it's time to play and when it's time to relax. If you want less hair, look at a smooth collie, but I think they can have a little more of an independent streak to them. Some will fetch, others just like to walk. Mine will fetch, but only indoors. Outdoors, he is too busy following his nose. A dog run or a fenced yard is usually recommended if they are outside unsupervised.
Sluggo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
....A dog run or a fenced yard is usually recommended if they are outside unsupervised.

In this age of litigation a secured area or a leash are pretty much mandatory.
DogFish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Probably a little small for you, but I'd swear by my shetland sheepdog. These dogs are intelligent, athletic (popular breed in agility contests), incredible with kids (will use herding instinct to keep them accounted for) and at the end of the day will make a real fully pillow to hang out with. Some might find the hair to be an issue, but I think it's way over-rated.
houseofcards is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #42
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jone View Post
Try a doberman..very sleek..has plenty of energy..very short haired and a docked tail..Very easy to train and are pretty smart..Maybe a little too smart. You have to invest time in your dog no matter what breed but dobermans become one of your family..(especially acting like a human) From my experience they are family dogs if raised from a puppy in the family enviroment..They become one of the family. Always looking to be part of everything ,also have a great protective instinct for their family...I have never owned another breed and always will have dobermans..I do not know who owns who..As I sit on the floor while my two boys lay on there blankets on the couch...Always 2 dobermans at my house..

Another vote for Doberman here. I had a female rescue that I got when she was about five. I had her for the next six years before she passed on. That was the sweetest, kindest dog I have ever had the pleasure to know.
They need training like any dog would. But the friend you get is lifelong.

Edit: this one is not mine, but acts just the same. Playful, but obedient when necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgdttKGgvlg

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by OrangeSoda; 02-18-2013 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: added favorite video
OrangeSoda is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #43
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

I recommend going to a couple of your local shelters. Tell the worker what your family life is like and what you expect from the dog you wish to own. The workers know the dogs and can help match your family up with the perfect pet.

Getting a breed is nice, but not all of the dogs in the breed go by the "standard personality traits" each dog is an individual.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #44
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
American Bulldogs are great breed. If you like the look and size that's a start. Educate your self on the pros & cons next. This is were you need to be very realistic and honest with yourself. An American bulldog is a molosser (mastiff) breed. They are not famous for trainability or fast response to commands.

If that's important look to the herding or field dogs.

With daily exercise they are calm in the house. Be honest about how much walking you are will into to do.

A responcible breeder studies the puppies during the 1st 8wks and they are the best one to pick the right puppy for you. That warm-fuzzy "my puppy picked me" is romantic silliness. That puppy that runs up a licked your face would mostly do that to everyone. For kids the breeder will help you find the puppies that are middle of the road temperament for that breed.

I find girl dogs to be easier to train. I'm not alone in that observation. Go to an agility or obedience completion there not a lot of male dogs to be found.

My female American Bulldog 'Bunny" was more than enough dog to proctect my home and was about 80-85#s.

After hearing more of your thoughts, you might also consider a Boxer.

Gotta agree with Dogfish all the way on everything posted here. Ive been involved in training dogs as well for a good part of my life. Doing everything from standard to full on PSA PDC and Frech ring work. TRAINING is EVERYTHING no matter what dog you get. Some breeds need a little more then others. As you can tell by my avatar im a bully breed type of guy. Currently Ive got Renascence Bulldogge. A working breed of bully without all the regular issues and health problems a Engilsh has. Bigger and VERY athletic. BUT I love all bullies. Be it Rotties, Mastiffs, and so on. I find them a challange as they are a bit more assertive and thick when it comes to attitude/learning. BUT they are also VERY smart, eager to please and have a personality like no other.
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Aquaticfan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #45
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

My family had a Great Pyrenees growing up. He was big (150lbs at his max). Was loyal and protective of the property. Would go out and play, but would just lay around and chill most of the time. Great dog, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but my wife doesn't want a dog that sheds (oy vey).
Conrad283 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.