ADA Mini M: Iwagumi (56K) - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #106
Xalyx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

God man, is it really this simple as this thread makes it seem? You have to have some trade secrets. Your tank is amazing. I want to do an ADA mini probably at the beginning of 2014 but I'm afraid to embarrass myself.
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #107
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Default The secret is: there is no secret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
God man, is it really this simple as this thread makes it seem? You have to have some trade secrets. Your tank is amazing. I want to do an ADA mini probably at the beginning of 2014 but I'm afraid to embarrass myself.
LOL~ I received a couple of messages asking about my secret. But honestly, i really don't have any secret to hide. If you read Frank's of ADG thread, you will probably get all the information you need to keep a small tank. Well, my dosing is not as rigid as others because I always forgot to put in ferts in my tank. Maybe ADA aquasoil has all the nutrients plants need. But what I do for my tank that probably most people take for granted is the water change. I changed the water in this tank about 20% twice a week. Then for every 2-3weeks I will change about 70% of the water that is usually when I do the trimming.Thats all the secret that I have.

Well there is no universal guideline that will work for everybody in this hobby. All you need to do is to identify the problem and act quickly to solve it.

But if you have further question regarding technical details about this tank, I'm more than happy to answer, but based on my experiences though. You still need to experiment to get the best results. That's the beauty of this hobby. My first planted tank also was not as successful as this one .

So don't feel embarrassed if you still new in this hobby. there's always first time. Good Luck!
ad3hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #108
Xalyx
Planted Member

I stumbled across that thread last night and it was the most informative thread I've ever read on here. Kept me up to 1 AM even though I had to wake up at 5 AM. I'm also glad you're doing this in college you're just firing me up and making me realize my goals are very possible. When I get into a dorm in Sept 2013 or Jan 2014 the first thing I want to do is a Mini tank. I have big goals for my second tank and I definitely learned from my 55G it's not going to take me tank after tank I want to get it right the second time around.

What's most impressive is the variety of plants and how each individual species has a resounding impact. Sure I could probably do a one species HC, glosso, hairgrass but the combination of plants that you have takes much more skill and the result is simply amazing. I am amazed by how good it looks. I have a little under a year before I'll be in a position to setup something like this anyway, trying to do as much as I can with my 55G while I still can to build up my skills for a Mini M.

Btw, is this the type of diffusser you use?
http://www.no ebay links allowedcom/itm/2X-Pollen-Gl...item5d394144c1

Last edited by Xalyx; 02-13-2013 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: editing
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #109
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Xalyx;2532562]I stumbled across that thread last night and it was the most informative thread I've ever read on here. Kept me up to 1 AM even though I had to wake up at 5 AM. I'm also glad you're doing this in college you're just firing me up and making me realize my goals are very possible. When I get into a dorm in Sept 2013 or Jan 2014 the first thing I want to do is a Mini tank. I have big goals for my second tank and I definitely learned from my 55G it's not going to take me tank after tank I want to get it right the second time around.

What's most impressive is the variety of plants and how each individual species has a resounding impact. Sure I could probably do a one species HC, glosso, hairgrass but the combination of plants that you have takes much more skill and the result is simply amazing. I am amazed by how good it looks. I have a little under a year before I'll be in a position to setup something like this anyway, trying to do as much as I can with my 55G while I still can to build up my skills for a Mini M.

Btw, is this the type of diffusser you use?
[Ebay Link Removed]

Maintaining a planted tank in a dorm might be quite challenging. its just my opinion because I'm staying in an apartment outside campus so I don't know how difficult its gonna be. just make sure you plan ahead thoroughly.

I used that diffuser before but now I switch to a diffuser that don't have the suction cup fixed at an angle. That will limit its placement in your tank. its just for aesthetic purpose.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #110
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

I trimmed the HC and H. glomeratus on Thursday and here is how the tank looks like now.

The saturation seems a lilttle bit off here..hmmm

BTW, Didiplis diandra has grown a lot. Maybe I will trimm it next week after I have done will my final exams.

Oh, do you have any suggestions on which camera I should get? I don't want DSLRs, too bulky for me. I'm not a serious photographer anyway just want to take nice photos.

Thank you!

Regards
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #111
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

That looks fantastic, well done!
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #112
BS87
Planted Member

Default Re: ADA Mini M: Iwagumi (56K)

Hey nice tank! I'm up in Rochester too! Where do you do fish shopping? There's only 1 or two good stores here
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #113
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That looks fantastic, well done!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
Hey nice tank! I'm up in Rochester too! Where do you do fish shopping? There's only 1 or two good stores here
thanks! I rarely do fish shopping here in Rochester. There are only PetCo and PetSmart available but as for me, the fish are quite expensive and at low quality too. There are some aquarium plants available, but not much to choose and again, poor quality. Everything I used to set this tank were bought from online stores. I paid a lot for shipping.haha
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #114
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Man, your HC Cuba looks great! I can get mine looking like yours only on the top layer and they just die off. Once again, confused as to how to trim them.

It seems I'm in this cycle of trim and wait, never good growth overall. Only got the growth looking good on top.

HOW ????
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #115
Jarek Strzechowski
Algae Grower

Your tank is absolutely gorgeous!! Where did you get your amano iwagumi rocks?
Jarek Strzechowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #116
BS87
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3hybrid View Post
Thank you!

thanks! I rarely do fish shopping here in Rochester. There are only PetCo and PetSmart available but as for me, the fish are quite expensive and at low quality too. There are some aquarium plants available, but not much to choose and again, poor quality. Everything I used to set this tank were bought from online stores. I paid a lot for shipping.haha
There are 2 stores I have found that are better than the chains.

PetWorld/Aqua Shop are really helpful people, have good prices and have two locations (Greece, near the mall and Fairport next to the Wegmans).

ABC Pet city has some really nice stuff some times, It's all family owned. They are super helpful (sometimes hard to understand due to the russian accent), maybe a bit pricey.

http://www.petworldrochester.com/
http://www.abcpetcity.com/
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #117
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Man, your HC Cuba looks great! I can get mine looking like yours only on the top layer and they just die off. Once again, confused as to how to trim them.

It seems I'm in this cycle of trim and wait, never good growth overall. Only got the growth looking good on top.

HOW ????
I took a look on your thread, and tried to figure out what's wrong. Well, I'm guessing that your tank need more lighting so that it can penetrate to the lower parts of the carpet. And maybe you should check your iron dosing. Some people say that HC needs more iron or the leaves will turn yellow.

If it still doesn't work, (I know this is harsh) it would be better if you try over again. This time, I'm suggesting that you use finer gravel. I'm using ADA powder type and it helps a lot for HC to anchor on into the gravel because HC has very thin roots.

I trimmed my HC just like everyone did. You can watch it on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek Strzechowski View Post
Your tank is absolutely gorgeous!! Where did you get your amano iwagumi rocks?
Thank you the rocks are from ADG Shop. its called Sado-Akadama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
There are 2 stores I have found that are better than the chains.

PetWorld/Aqua Shop are really helpful people, have good prices and have two locations (Greece, near the mall and Fairport next to the Wegmans).

ABC Pet city has some really nice stuff some times, It's all family owned. They are super helpful (sometimes hard to understand due to the russian accent), maybe a bit pricey.

http://www.petworldrochester.com/
http://www.abcpetcity.com/
Thank you for the information. I didn't know that. Maybe I didn't explore Rochester enough.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 AM   #118
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Could it be that the substrate is too compact? I thought that Flourite didn't compact as much as other substrate.

Lighting wise, I think I got a lot of light. It's 42 LED (low power) plus I use a desktop lamp at 23 watts. I get constantly small leaf size on all plants, every single type of plant I introduce. I'm confused on what I'm missing. Co2 pumps at a 2bps rate in a 6 gallon, I can't be low in that can I?

Now everything is going down hill, I even replanted but it doesn't spread, it stays low with small leafs. The yellowing is a bit of the iPhone 4's camera. It saturates all the colours.

*thumbs up for your tank, everything looks so healthy.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #119
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

So nice!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #120
ad3hybrid
Algae Grower

It's been a while since last update. Not many has changed, only the color of Didiplis diandra has become redder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.