Want low light red plant and also carpeter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
VeeSe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe

Want low light red plant and also carpeter

Hey all,

I'm looking for a low light red plant, most likely stem, for a background plant in my 55G. I already have Ludwigia sp. 'red' and Alternanthera reineckii, but the latter isn't growing very well, presumably due to the light level (and somebody is also eating it, I think). I'd love some Ludwigia glandulosa, which I think is low light, but nobody seems to be selling it. Other than that, any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking for a carpeting/foreground plant that stays relatively low and looks good even in substrate that is a little bit coarse (for example, Marsilea minuta doesn't look great because its leaves are smaller than the pieces of gravel underneath it). I don't want Pygmy Chain Sword or dwarf sag. Any other ideas? Could lots of crypt parva work? or maybe Anubias nana 'petite'? Anything else?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've read that green wendtii will pick up some red.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
ColinMackenzie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Want low light red plant and also carpeter

My crypt wendtii was green when purchased but turned a lovely copper brown. It has formed a nice carpet in my nano 6.6 although I think it will outgrow its use as a foreground carpet plant in the future. Also, Barclaya longifolia I have heard grows well in low light. I think other than ludwigias most red stem plants I can think of require more light. But I've seen some ludwigia species have spectacular shades of red (again, not sure they would pop as much in lower light). Red dwarf lotus would probably grow well.
ColinMackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
VeeSe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I already have tons of green wendtii in the tank (at least 20, and they multiply pretty quickly). The color is really sorta brown or really dark green, not red. Also, they are 20" tall, so... at this point they are background plants.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
ColinMackenzie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Want low light red plant and also carpeter

Crypt. Parva stays shorter. Pogostemon helferi is a unique foreground which might carpet to some extent.
ColinMackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.