In defense of primary colored ceramic decorations - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

My kids are exposed to nature and natural tanks a lot. They play with trash, and about anything else they can grab before I take it away. They have plenty of plastic and other stuff in the form of toys they touch and mess with, they do not get to touch the inside decore in the tank(yet).

One view might be this keeps them interested in the aquarium.
But the plastic junk? Or the Fish? Or because you are interested and they are simply copying you?

Hard to say sometimes.

There's not much learned from plastic stuff, if I teach them about live plants, fish, and then take them to a national park, local pond, creek etc and point out those same things, or to the Zoo and show them, this is a far more instructive than placating their ever changing desires and "Daddy! I want this!!!"

They get their way enough. I side track them to more productive things and less destruction to my stuff. But there are other areas where they can learn a lot, I can placate them with many OTHER things. As an adult, I can guide them, I do not have to bend, rather, be creative

I was happy playing in the creek when I was their age. No plastic stuff needed. I ended up taking plants and the minnows and darters from those creeks to start this hobby.

I learned a lot more and had more fun.
As far as a dad, an adult, this is what I am still:

Ask your kids, let's go play in the creek and float down on an inner tube, or let's go buy tacky blue plastic plants?

That's a no brainer. 9 out 10 kids agree.

Good news is they change and then when they are 7-12 years old, they often get more interested in the plants/reefs etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
NateBW
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tom,

Of course, you are right and we try to spend as much time outside as we can - going to the local state parks, zoo, camping, etc. And my kids know that no amount of begging will get them something that we didn't walk into a store intending to buy.

But as I said, unlike most of the posters here, I'm not a purist when it comes to tanks. If my 3 year old wants a police car in the tank - fine. The primarily reason I started this thread is so that when I post pictures of my tank and get flak for the stuff, I can link here and not have to explain myself over and over.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

if you're a "purist" and can't see any room for a plastic pineapple in this hobby then you're taking yourself a little too seriously, because let's face it... there's nothing "pure" or "natural" about putting water and plants/animals in a glass box in your living room and keeping it all alive with electric-sucking filters, heaters and lights, and dumping lots of man-made fertilizers into the tank every other day.

And this is coming from someone who has never had a decoration in any of her tanks. But I do think it's cool to see it in other people's tanks, whether it's a well-placed plastic straw hut in a "jungle" or a dinosaur next to a rainbow. As my name might suggest, I love Sponge Bob, and I yearn for blue gravel and one of those d@mn pineapples every time I see one at the LFS. One of these days I'll set up a tank just for this purpose.

Keep on keepin' on NateBW!! Kids' aesthetics are different than our own. Theirs will mature just like ours did.
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My mom got me a ceramic castle for my tank for Christmas. I was planning on rescaping my tank anyway, so I'm going to put it in there, because I know it would make her happy if she was here to see it (I live in CT, my parents in MI).
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Speaking of ceramic doo-dads for the aquarium, am I the only one that remembers the small glazed ceramic deep sea divers, mermaids, etc? I think they are adorable! Unfortunately everyone else must too, because they cost and arm & a leg on That Which Must Not be Named. I would love to collect them & have them scattered about on my book shelves. I really want to put a vintage deep sea diver in my 125, because the original 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea was my favorite movie as a child!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #21
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Totally in favor of anything that gets kids interested in the aquarium hobby (or the natural world for that matter)...technicolor ceramic do-dads included

My first goldfish bowl was a big one (probably closer to 5 gallons) with a ceramic mermaid and (ye gads!) pink and purple gravel.

Driftwoodhunter...how I wish I still had that ceramic mermaid...must be worth a small fortune now LOL!
Saxtonhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #22
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Hey, the kids love it, that's all that matters! I started out with blue gravel and plastic plants and bubble wands 25 years ago. My tastes have since changed, but this is how the addiction begins You may have some future enthusiasts who will credit their hobby all to you

I set up a 29 gallon for my future mother-in-law...it had driftwood branches and live plants with natural gravel. When we came back to visit a month later, she had added some glass eyeballs, a clear floating plastic jellyfish, some lighted bubble wands....but she was so thrilled with it, I didn't even think to say anything. It's her tank now, and my fiance's nephews love it. That's all that matters.

And, the fish are all happy and healthy - and I don't know how she does it, but there's not one speck of algae. I told her to keep doing what she was doing, because it was working! She's very proud.

Lesson learned - do what makes you happy!

As someone mentioned above - there's not much "natural" about stuffing fish from different parts of the world in a glass box and adding things to keep the water clean and lamps to grow plants. Try as we might to achieve nature, it's not the same as a running stream some fish are native to, or a still lake, or the Amazon!
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Speaking of ceramic doo-dads for the aquarium, am I the only one that remembers the small glazed ceramic deep sea divers, mermaids, etc?
Zoomed is making these ornaments that are supposed to look like the ones from the 1920s. I think they look awesome. Very classy.
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/Se...24&Search.y=20
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Beautiful tank for a beautiful family
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #25
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I really do prefer the natural look to driftwood, dark substrate, and plants, but having one tank for that and another tank you can do whatever with is fun! My husband got a nano tank for a betta. He decorated it with purple rocks and every bright colored plastic plant you could find. No harm in that.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #26
NateBW
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

New item:

Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
bfensty
Algae Grower

I remember when I was younger I used to beg my dad to put in all kinds of colorful stuff into his tank, I'm sure he was cringing a bit inside but I guess as a dad you do what you've gotta do! Thumbs up to you #1 Dad!
bfensty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #28
hopeforthebest
Algae Grower

Thumbs up to all Dads that are involved with their kids doing things. There is no wrong or right how you do your tanks, but being there for your kids just made my day! My Dad died when I was just 10 years old, gave me my love for this hobby and I still have one of his ornaments in my tank..........over 40 years later. Don't put each other down, just enjoy your kids and this wonderful hobby!
hopeforthebest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #29
J.mccollum
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

my girls keep asking me when i will build a sponge bob tank. Guess I'm that mean also B^)
J.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #30
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforthebest View Post
Thumbs up to all Dads that are involved with their kids doing things. There is no wrong or right how you do your tanks, but being there for your kids just made my day! My Dad died when I was just 10 years old, gave me my love for this hobby and I still have one of his ornaments in my tank..........over 40 years later. Don't put each other down, just enjoy your kids and this wonderful hobby!
I agree with this 110%!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.