Reccomend a dog for my family - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.
We volunteer with a rescue organization (Catahoula Rescue Illinois) and we have fostered five dogs and transported many more. Getting a dog via a rescue organization is a great choice because you can find out about the individual dog's behavioral details. Many rescue organization dogs stay with foster families for several weeks and this permits close observation of compatibility, energy level and temperament.

You can search for rescue dogs using a number of criteria on petfinder.com Many rescue organizations also maintain Facebook pages.

It sounds like a Catahoula would not be the right choice for you, but there are rescue groups for all kinds of breeds and mixes. Our most recent foster was a Catahoula/bassett mix and she was really sweet and mellow, but with a penetrating baying bark that would be sure to scare unwelcomes away.

Remember that no matter the energy level any kind of dog should get some time outside along with social and mental stimulation every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would say +1 to the golden retriever. Sounds like it's about what you are looking for although I am not really sure how they do with cats.

For me, it's Border Collies all the way but they are smaller then you want, and contrary to popular belief they don't mind spending a day in the house relaxing, it just can't be a everyday thing. Tons of exercise isn't necessary for them either as long as you keep their minds active. Mine tend to stay active in the house by playing with my two cats. She likes to herd them around. She doesn't hurt the cats at all, and the cats will wonder away from her when they get bored.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
How about a shelter dog?

no doubt the BEST option. I just rescued 2 myself over the last 2 weeks

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

This is Ch. Tasso's 'Cool Hand Luke' CA my Travis

He's my 3rd Catahoula in since 1992. I love the breed, and I pretty much can not /will not recommend them to anyone that does not ranch, farm, boar hunt or isn't 100% into working/training a dog. This is the only bred that will embarrass a Border collie in energy/stamina/intelligence and STUBBORNESS, not to mention OCD.

Kudos to Catahoula Rescue Illinois efforts. I believe I meet the women that started that group at an event @ Arlington park maybe 8 yrs ago? I trust they are still very careful you they sell their dogs to.

I've meet some other shelters that haul Catahoulas from down south up to the Chicagoland area and I think that is just plan wrong. I was asked by a group here about what they should do with a Catahoula they have. My best advise was to trade with a shelter in Texas for two poodles.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
no doubt the BEST option. I just rescued 2 myself over the last 2 weeks
For an experience owner, I'd tell you to go straight to the pound yourself. That is were bulk of the shelter dogs come from. Most pound sell dogs for $35 to $50.

Buying a shelter dog will cost $200 to $400. Some shelters are noble some are flat out scammers. Do your research before you buy a dog.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #21
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmia22 View Post
....For me, it's Border Collies all the way but they are smaller then you want, and contrary to popular belief they don't mind spending a day in the house relaxing, it just can't be a everyday thing.

......Tons of exercise isn't necessary for them either as long as you keep their minds active.

......Mine tend to stay active in the house by playing with my two cats. She likes to herd them around. She doesn't hurt the cats at all, and the cats will wonder away from her when they get bored.
While individual dog's needs vary, as whole BC do require above average exercise. The last Vet. tech (off to school to become a Vet) had a BC and 6 cats. Every day when she came home the BC had all the cats in one corner of the living room until Mom came home to "un pen" them. The BC became the clinic dog.... all the cats got fat from lack of exercise.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #22
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Catahoula Rescue Illinois maintains a very good adoption screening process. Most of the dogs that they rescue are mixes, which tend to be less demanding than purebred Catahoulas. Our male dog is a mix and he needs exercise and stimulation every day, but he has grown out of his dominance testing and other troubling behaviors.

The Catahoulas that we have fostered have had more personality and amusing behaviors than any other kind of dog I have been around.

Again, a Catahoula would probably not be the right dog for SlammedDC2.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
maxsunny
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)

Husky and Alaska malamute
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Look at Labradoodles
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
.....Our male dog is a mix and he needs exercise and stimulation every day, but he has grown out of his dominance testing and other troubling behaviors.

....The Catahoulas that we have fostered have had more personality and amusing behaviors than any other kind of dog I have been around.
I think you would really enjoy a visit to the N.A.L.C. show in La. or Tx. you would be able to see maybe 50 to 75 Purebred Catahoulas, involved in Cattle & boar trials, conformation and obedience. I've recently finished Travis Lure Course title and hope to get down to work him on cattle & hogs.

This is a pic from a two dog bay-up. The dogs are not allowed to tough the boar, the boar has nor rules too follow. Of camera is the handler is in the paddock with the dogs & boar. The athletic ability of the Catahoula is truly unbelievable to see.

I happy to your group is being demanding in who they sell dogs to.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

American bulldogs are awesome and as said, will lay on the couch or bed all day, or go out running and walking, they are great like that.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #27
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
American bulldogs are awesome and as said, will lay on the couch or bed all day, or go out running and walking, they are great like that.

OR, they can haul 3 ton of bricks:

http://youtu.be/W6LDopZZVzg

Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #28
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I think you would really enjoy a visit to the N.A.L.C. show in La. or Tx. you would be able to see maybe 50 to 75 Purebred Catahoulas, involved in Cattle & boar trials, conformation and obedience. I've recently finished Travis Lure Course title and hope to get down to work him on cattle & hogs.

This is a pic from a two dog bay-up. The dogs are not allowed to tough the boar, the boar has nor rules too follow. Of camera is the handler is in the paddock with the dogs & boar. The athletic ability of the Catahoula is truly unbelievable to see.

I happy to your group is being demanding in who they sell dogs to.
Yes we are not ever going to hunt or do any serious training or showing with our dogs, but I would like to see boar trials with Catahoulas someday. There are some really amazing YouTube videos of the dogs with boars and their speed and strength is amazing.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #29
TonyK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dogfish this paragraph you wrote is the absolute truth. I've always had Pit Bulls and it has honestly become such a headache to have one its really a shame. But, I will stay with them. They are amazing dogs who are really easy to train. I wish more "responsible people would choose the pit bull because they are a great dog and do well around small kids.

"Rottweiler and pit bull owners are help to a higher level of responsibility that other dog breed owners. If something goes wrong it's ale way your dogs fault until you can prove other wise...and they still blame you. I liken it to owning a gun."
To the original poster, I think you can see what I'm leaning towards
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #30
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Look at Labradoodles
+1

Labradoodles are great family dogs. My parents is one of the most intelligent, laid back, fun dogs I've ever met.
Closed Thread