Red Cherry Shrimp -I am an Idiot *_* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSoda View Post
Everything raven is saying is true.

Except the idea that 5 shrimp will generate a bioload that will produce an ammonia spike. This might be true if you are trying to keep them in 5 ounces of water for an extended period of time with no plants. They will be fine in a half gallon alone until the ten has cycled.

Once again, I have to ask if it will be a shrimp only tank. If it's just going to be the shrimp with plants, do a 100% water change on the ten and test to see that the ammonia is gone. Once you're sure that there is no ammonia, drip acclimate the shrimp into the ten. As long as there are plants in there the shrimp will be fine.

Essentially with the plants being able to handle more bioload than the shrimp can produce, the ammonia will never have a chance to build up.

The overriding factor here is going to be the length of time that the ten has been set up. If there is no biofilm, you will have to feed regularly.

I've been keeping RCS and CRS for the past five years and I can assure you that they are not as fragile as they are being made out to be.
Ah, yes I was referring to a small amount of water. I would take note of what OrangeSoda has said. I remembered that RCS can live off of bio film and feeding them isn't really required.

And for the beneficial bacteria, I would use it even though you can't really tell if they actually have an effect on non cycled tanks. The reason why I don't believe in bottled beneficial products is because the bacteria themselves are living in a confined space with limited food and oxygen in the bottle. Many stores leave the bottles on the shelves for months, so the bacteria inside are practically dead due to the lack of oxygen and food. So there is a possibility that you might have bought a bottle of dead bacteria. From what I've seen, date labels are never labeled on beneficial bacteria bottles, which is crucial to know because beneficial bacteria has a shelf life of about 1-2 months in room temperature. If you were going to buy beneficial bacteria, a quality store would leave it inside a refrigerator and labeled with a date. That is the only way to know if you are actually buying live bacteria. But for shelf products, it is a hit or miss.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Okay, the bottle did have a "Sell By Apr/2013" label. But I know what you mean by how the bacteria could've been wiped out (heat or freezing temps here in Canada)

I'm about to fill the half gallon, with Prime treated water of same temp (used cold water from tap, heated it with heater). Also added the mossball to the container, and put the container by a window with sunlight.

Thanks

EDIT: Would a 25% WC (0.1 gallons) every 2 days suffice? Also 2 are munching on the mossball, one on the wisteria, and the others are eating 2 small betta bellets I dropped in (Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets) Is this okay?

Last edited by sportsfan2; 02-16-2013 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Updates/Questions
sportsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Seems like your set, just keep an eye on your shrimps and do frequent water changes.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #19
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

What Orangesoda is trying to tell you is that cycling your 10 gallon tank using the amount of ammonia you are adding is mostly a waste of time. You will eventually build up a colony of bacteria that will mostly die off as soon as you put the shrimp in and stop adding the ammonia. The bioload of that many shrimp in a 10 gallon tank will not sustain the amount of bacteria you are going through so much trouble to build up. The plants present in the tank will more than likely use up what little ammonia the shrimp produce before it ever gets used by any bacteria you might have, meaning the bacteria will die back to an almost non-existent amount. You probably already have plenty of bacteria in there already.
Bandit1200 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
What Orangesoda is trying to tell you is that cycling your 10 gallon tank using the amount of ammonia you are adding is mostly a waste of time. You will eventually build up a colony of bacteria that will mostly die off as soon as you put the shrimp in and stop adding the ammonia. The bioload of that many shrimp in a 10 gallon tank will not sustain the amount of bacteria you are going through so much trouble to build up. The plants present in the tank will more than likely use up what little ammonia the shrimp produce before it ever gets used by any bacteria you might have, meaning the bacteria will die back to an almost non-existent amount. You probably already have plenty of bacteria in there already.
Ahh now I see. So should I wait until the ammonia and nitrite goes back down to 0, and then add the 5 shrimp. Or do a 100% water change, test ammonia , nitrite, and nitrates and then if they're 0,0,<40 then just add the shrimp? Also should I clean out the filter media (in untreated or treated tap water?)

Also what if they have babies? Wouldn't the bioload then increase and there wont be enough plants to handle the bioload (and not enough cycling bacteria? Finally I'm not sure if there are enough plants (moss ball intbetween size of golf and tennis, java fern is about 10 inches tall, anubias is in pretty bad shape, and wisteria is small (less than 7 inches in length), I'll post a pic soon.

Thanks.

Last edited by sportsfan2; 02-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Questions
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

Here are some pictures.

10Gallon

Sideview - The heater is just like that since I had heated the water for the half gallon WC.

The giant reddish plant in the back is fake. And that's a 12inch ruler.

The ruler is 12cm high

RCS munching on Marimo Moss Ball

All 5 RCS

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #22
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

In my opinion as others have posted, I'd do a water change and put the shrimp in. Keep monitoring the water, but I seriously doubt with so few shrimp in there you'll ever get a detectable amount of ammonia unless they and all the plants suddenly die all at once.

As far as the shrimp populating and adding more ammonia, the bacteria will multiply to consume the added ammonia as long as it's a gradual increase in the biomass. The shrimp breeding will be a gradual increase. If you decide you REALLY like shrimp and add 100 all at once then you'll have problems.

This is from my own experience with aquariums, you might want to take a few more posts to see who agrees or disagrees.

Your plant:shrimp ratio is already huge, The plants you have in there now would suck up all the output of 10 times the shrimp you have now.
Bandit1200 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
sportsfan2
Algae Grower

Okay will do a 100% WC, and rinse out the filter. Everything else will be left in it's place.

You think that will work?

Thanks!

Tags
shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.