Can someone help me identify color/type of these bettas?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Can someone help me identify color/type of these bettas?

I got these 2 bettas from the LFS for Valentines day from DarkCobra.
One I believe is a Double Tail Half Moon. Was labeled only "DT". Am I correct is saying he's a turquoise? Or a multi?

The other was labeled as a Dragon Half Moon. Is he a marble? A grizzle? ? What makes it a dragon? I see no dragon scales?
I also would like clarification on his tail. I believe it's a Delta tail, but when he is at rest, it's kinda droopy. Can Half Moon tails mature as they get older to the 180?

The color mostly in question is the one with the smiley face on his head. I hope he keeps it.
I have no idea the age of these fish, was only told these fish are "young".

Thank you,
-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I also would like clarification on his tail. I believe it's a Delta tail, but when he is at rest, it's kinda droopy. Can Half Moon tails mature as they get older to the 180?

This one appears to be a delta tail (DT) rather than a half-moon. Half-moons will have a tail that spans 180 degrees at full flair. As far as the scales, the picture quality isn't the greatest so I can't say for certain .... but from what I can see it does appear to be a dragon scale.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

dragon scale if im correct is the color/markings. the black/dark color around the scales is what makes it dragon
wicca27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm still confused. The DT's scales are outlined, but the tye-dyed looking ones' are not. Just about 1/5 of his body and in no particular pattern I can make out.
So is the DT a dragon scale?
-Stef*
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

ok just ask a good betta friend of mine she said dragon scale betta have bigger scales than normal

here is my dragon scale male

wicca27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you, Wicca!
They are so hard to photograph. Your first pic looks copper, the second -green, the third-blue! So, "dragon" has nothing to do with color? His scales are much smaller than the DT.

I see so many different color names! His tail tip is cellophane (clear) so I can't make out the branching. I think calling this one "Jerry Garcia, the Grateful Dead Phish", might do for lack of a proper description. The mark on his head does looks like a peace sign at certain angles.
Stef*
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, Wicca, how would you describe yours besides the obvious Dragon Scale?
-Stef*
Old 02-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Myrr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
dragon scale if im correct is the color/markings. the black/dark color around the scales is what makes it dragon
It's thickened scales that makes it a dragon. The ring around the eye is not indicative. Actually, some (poor things!) have scaling that goes over their eyes, even.

OP, you betta is first a double tail, though I dont believe a HM, because the gap resists the true 180' spread. Many true HMDBTs have no gap and maintain a 180 spread. I dont know if I'd peg his color as turquoise. Im tempted to say he's a multi, but not sure if the black edging on his fins count towards a third color, and if the red is a slight wash or prominent.

The other is a delta (without a doubt), maybe a dragon (hard to tell in the pics), and appears to be a metallic(?) multicolor who could possibly continue to change in color in time. I dont think he'd lose color in a marble, but his darker colors may creep over the light parts of his body and fins.

If the fish were from a store or a breeder, they're likely either 2.5-3.5-(possibly 4.5) months old, just around breeding age
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrr View Post
It's thickened scales that makes it a dragon. The ring around the eye is not indicative. Actually, some (poor things!) have scaling that goes over their eyes, even.
Believe it or not, I seen a betta listed for sale as a "wen head". It had a fleshy black tumor like thingy on it's head like an oranda goldfish. Sad.
Also, I can't understand why a lot of people take a fish (bettas, guppies, etc) known for it's striking coloration and try to breed all the color out of it so you can see it's guts, but to each his/her own.

Last week of Dec, I bought a betta I liked off AB, US breeder, and after a week's wait, it arrived boiled through next day shipping. So, I tried for a couple on Bay of E, and when bidding got over $85, I bailed. I have a couple on order from Thailand since the second week of Jan, and due to transhipping postponing, they might get here when they are Senior Fin-i-zens

When these two were spotted at a local fish store for $5.99 each, I couldn't resist.

Thank you, Myrr for your information and Wicca for your photos!
-Stef*