Icegoalie32's Low Tech 29..Updated 2/17/2013
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Icegoalie32's Low Tech 29..Updated 2/17/2013

Hello Everyone.

I am back into the aquarium hobby after being out for a while. At one point I had 7 tanks from 10 gallons to 125 gallons. I kept plants in some of my tanks with varying degrees of success. Work and family commitments had made it too difficult to keep up with my aquariums, so I had to sell my tanks. I did keep a 29 Gallon in storage during my time out of the hobby because I knew I'd want to get back into it eventually.

The tank is a standard 29 Gallon (30x12x18)

Hardware:
Fluval 205 (Mechanical and Biological media, no chemical)
Aqueon 150 Watt Heater
Hydor Koralia Nano 240
No CO2

Lighting:
Aqueon Dual T5NO with 2 6700k bulbs
Photoperiod is 7 hours from 3PM until 10PM

Substrate:
Carib Sea Flora Max (approx 3 inches deep)

Ferts:
Aquariumplants.com Total Liquid (5 Drops weekly after 30% water change)
Flourish Excel (approx capful every 2-3 days)
Aquariumplants.com Total, Iron, and Trace tablets once per month to supplement the substrate

Flora:
Amazon Swords
Spiral Vals
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana Petite
Bacopa Caroliniana
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Fauna:
4 Angelfish
7 Peppered Cories
5 Otos

I set the tank up in April 2012, here is what it looked like after the initial planting.

By September, I had made some scape changes. The cave just didn't look right, and there was no driftwood. I really like the look of granite and driftwood, so I left the single stone and added the Malaysian and Mopani driftwood. I was not aware of the melting that would occur with the microswords, so I pulled them out after they shed their emersed growth and tossed them. I wish I would have been reading the forum at that time, then I would have had more patience and waited. I knew that the round emersed leaves of the Blehri would melt away and the submersed leaves would replace them, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together for the microswords. Live and learn, right? I replaced them with some Anubias Nana and Anubias Barteri.

Since the tank was set up, I've fought several rounds with the dreaded BGA/Cyanobacteria. I don't like using medications, and I knew that the source of the problem had to be attacked. After reading several threads and linked articles, I decided I had a problem with a lack of water movement. I added the Koralia and the that did the trick. 90% of the BGA has disappeared.

I have removed the Malaysian driftwood and added another piece of Mopani
I have also added and removed some flora. The Anubias Barteri was removed and I added some Anubias Petite attached to a piece of mopani driftwood. Behind the wood, I added Bacopa Caroliniana and in front of the wood I added the Lilaeopsis. I also placed some Valisneria in various spots. Here is how it looks as of today.

Photo Update: 2/17/2013

I want to say thank you to everyone that contributes to the forum. The information here has been instrumental in the success I have had to this point.

All comments, criticism, and suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Icegoalie32; 02-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: New Pictures
Icegoalie32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great looking tank! I was curious if your dosing of excel hurt your Vals at all? I heard they don't like excel and was curious your experience?
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful. The wood & the rock work nicely together
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Good looking tank icegoalie. The angels you have are good looking fish. Unfortunately, as you probably know, 29 gallons will not be enough for 4 when they grow up some more. You might fit 3 with frequent water changes, but I would just go with the two that form a pair as soon as they do so. They will love laying on thsoe swords!
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 01-01-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: edit
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
Great looking tank! I was curious if your dosing of excel hurt your Vals at all? I heard they don't like excel and was curious your experience?
Thanks!

Well, I moved the Vals into the tank only a month ago and I began dosing the excel at about the same time. At this point there has been some melting with the old growth, but there has been some new growth as well. I have read the same thing about vals and excel, but after my impatience with the micro swords, I'm going to wait it out for a few weeks and see what happens.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoragen View Post
Beautiful. The wood & the rock work nicely together
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
Good looking tank icegoalie. The angels you have are good looking fish. Unfortunately, as you probably know, 29 gallons will not be enough for 4 when they grow up some more. You might fit 3 with frequent water changes, but I would just go with the two that form a pair as soon as they do so. They will love laying on thsoe swords!
Thanks for the info, Tom. The plan is to move the marble and the veil to a new 29 that I have already set up (Journal on that tank coming soon) once the water parameters settle down. The silvers have already paired off.

and this will be the new home for the other pair.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

It's been a while, so It's about time for an update. Here is the tank as of today:

Not much has changed, really.

I have moved 2 of the 4 angels to another 29 gallon, leaving the breeding pair to themselves. They have had 4 clutches of eggs, the most recent making it to free swimming stage. I am allowing the parents to do their thing for now since I have no additional tanks for raising fry.

I added a crypt lutea to the middle ground. I have stopped dosing ferts and excel as I have decided to try true low tech. I will still add root tabs for the swords and the crypt every 2-3 months unless they show signs of starvation. I am having a bit of an algae outbreak, hopefully due to the transition away from the dosing. My water change schedule is changing to 25% once a month.

Comments, as always, are welcomed and appreciated.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
BJK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking great!! Those angels are really nice!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

Thanks BJK! I plan to have them for the next several years. I'm looking forward to putting them in a 120 Gallon by next year sometime before they get too big for the 29g.