fish suggestions for 20XH
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

fish suggestions for 20XH

I'm currently cycling the tank now, but figure I should start thinking about what I want to eventually put in it. The tank dimensions are 20"long, 10"deep, and 24" high (about 20" from top of substrate to water surface).

The tank seems tall enough that there is actually enough room for separate vertical areas, and I'd like to try and get a variety of fish to inhabit the whole range of the tank height.

For the bottom, I'm thinking of getting some kuhli loaches, or maybe dwarf cories.

I don't know if I can get separate fish types for the surface and mid depth, or if it will be pretty much split twixt bottom fish and swimmers.

Aside from cories/kuhlies, I don't really have much idea of what to put in. I've seen some dwarf puffers, and they look like they may be interesting, but I've heard they don't get on well with other fish.
I'm also thinking german/bolivian rams might be interesting, but not sure if I have enough room to house a pair comfortably.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dwarf cories, ruby tetras, and black neon tetras all inhabit different areas of the tank.... If you wanted you could swap out the cories for apistos or rams.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
esteban
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love cories, and the dwarf ones are really cute and personable, especially in a shoal. Just a note about their behavior: I definitely found with c. hastatus (the one typically called 'dwarf') that they were all over the place in my 38tall. While they will go to the bottom, mine happily schooled in the mid reaches as well. Never had the pygmy version, but I've heard they do the same.
esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the input, all.

went and got fish today.

7 pygmy cory (Corydoras pygmaeus),
5 celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus),
3 Clown/Rocket killifish (Pseudepiplatys annulatus).

did a drip acclimation, and then dumped them in the tank. first hour or so, some of the critters seemed out of sorts, some seemed to be pretty well adjusted. now(about 2-3 hours after adding to the tank) most seem to be doing about what's expected: swimming in the current, hanging out, chasing food (the tank had a plethora of daphnia, copepods, bloodworms, nematodes, etc. during the cycling process), and looking generally happy/healthy.

I am thinking I should probably add more CPDs, and maybe a couple more pygmy cories (although, they seem to like chilling with the CPDs now and then), but I don't want to overstock/crowd my tank. (20XH: ~20"wide, ~10"deep, ~24" tall). have a fair bit of plants, but they are still getting established/growing in.

I've attached a pic (crappy cell-phone type) of the tank after adding the new critters.

I'd appreciate any advice/reccomendations as to stocking levels/etc. I'd like to try and get near that magic balance of having enough individuals to provide security/etc. to shoaling types, but not overcrowd a pretty small tank.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
thanks for the input, all.

went and got fish today.

7 pygmy cory (Corydoras pygmaeus),
5 celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus),
3 Clown/Rocket killifish (Pseudepiplatys annulatus).

did a drip acclimation, and then dumped them in the tank. first hour or so, some of the critters seemed out of sorts, some seemed to be pretty well adjusted. now(about 2-3 hours after adding to the tank) most seem to be doing about what's expected: swimming in the current, hanging out, chasing food (the tank had a plethora of daphnia, copepods, bloodworms, nematodes, etc. during the cycling process), and looking generally happy/healthy.

I am thinking I should probably add more CPDs, and maybe a couple more pygmy cories (although, they seem to like chilling with the CPDs now and then), but I don't want to overstock/crowd my tank. (20XH: ~20"wide, ~10"deep, ~24" tall). have a fair bit of plants, but they are still getting established/growing in.

I've attached a pic (crappy cell-phone type) of the tank after adding the new critters.

I'd appreciate any advice/reccomendations as to stocking levels/etc. I'd like to try and get near that magic balance of having enough individuals to provide security/etc. to shoaling types, but not overcrowd a pretty small tank.
Just giving you a heads up, someone is probably going to pop in here and freak out on you for not using a QT tank. I personally don't use one either but wanted to warn you :P

Aside from that, great call on the celestial pearl danios, they are such amazing fish! I have 5 Zebras and 2 Golds and they are a blast to watch esecially after feeding when they're all chasing eachother.

Good luck with your new inhabitants and keep us updated!
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

ha, yeah - I've been out of the hobby for over a decade, and from what I remember, quarantine tanks seemed to usually be used to isolate already sick fish (guess that would make it more of a hospital tank).

I didn't really bother to quarantine these since I didn't have anything in the tank yet, and the fish store I got them from seems pretty good (one of the few stores in the area with consistently healthy-looking stock, I don't think I've ever seen a dead fish in their tanks, etc. They also advertise quarantining all of their fish, for what that's worth.

It's something I'll consider once this tank has been up for a while, but I'm not sure if it will be real appropriate/effective for my setup.

I was worried about overcrowding the tank, but right now, the fish seem to have a lot of room. If I spook them, the seem to just vanish. I'm sure they are just hiding in the plants/driftwood, but I can't figure out where...

anyways, I don't think I attached the pic properly in the last post, so I'm trying again here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130302_211433.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	98538  

Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
jefftray
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

where did u get CPD's out here?