Yellows don't eat solid food
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Puddles
Shrimps are fun

PTrader: (20/100%)

Yellows don't eat solid food

I have a small colony of yellow neos that is going well. They are active, they molt, and I currently have two berried females. Only thing is that they won't eat solid food at all. They don't like blanched spinach, kale, zucchini, carrots, peas, or green beans. They don't eat algae wafers or sinking shrimp pellets. They don't like a home made food consisting of kale, spinach, nettle leaves, carrots, and spirulina.

They subsist solely on biofilm and powdered spirulina + Mosura Gravidas which I feed twice weekly. Has anyone had this before? I've never had shrimp that don't eat solid food.
Puddles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

My PFR's tend to not like whole food either but they do LOVE homemade food and things like Jake's veggie sticks and Repashy.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

It's strange how groups of shrimp will act differently. I would not be concerned, they must be getting plenty to eat.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

I've never had any kind of shrimp turn away any sort of prepared food. The only exception is when they're getting plenty to eat elsewhere in the tank.

How often are you feeding the tank? If it's shrimp-only, don't feed for 4-5 days and then you'll see some eating going on.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If shrimps are doing okay, just let them do their thing eat whatever they like. My orange neo is just like that, they don't really care for anything I put in. And my tank with TBs and CRS/CBS/CWS is a treat when it comes feeding time. Whatever I put in I can see 50 shrimps forming a shrimp ball, and 20 stand by around the ball for their turn.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Most shrimp stop eating prepared food when they are stressed out. And yellows are really easy to stress out, so I'd be worried.

It's not normal for healthy shrimp to ignore food, especially a neocaridina. It's one of the ways I can tell something is wrong in one of my tanks, if I drop a piece of food in and they don't ball up on it within 20 minutes I check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Doesn't matter how much bio film is in a tank, they always prefer shrimp wafers more.

Try putting some frozen bloodworms in, if they leave that untouched you know you have a real problem.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
Puddles
Shrimps are fun

Just ran some tests. Temp 72, pH 7.2, gh 6, kh 0-1, TDS 200, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Tank is covered with a thick layer of amazon frogbit which I assume is sucking up the nitrates. I test my tank every three days and these measurements have held steady. They readily molt, get berried, are active and seem very healthy.

I can pick up some frozen bloodworms in the next day or so and try them. They don't react to frozen brine shrimp, not sure if that explains anything.

I add powdered food on Mondays and Thursday. I add a different blanched vegetable every other day and remove it after 90 minutes if it appears untouched.

Edit: I have some of Jake's calcium sticks in the mail, I'll see if they react to that.

Last edited by Puddles; 02-17-2013 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

I wouldn't be worried at all. Sounds like they've got more than enough food if they're molting well, getting berried and such. And your parameters seem solid.

You're probably feeding more frequently than you need, honestly. Try cutting that back a bit for a while to see how they react to food.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Puddles
Shrimps are fun

Ok, I'll do that. I know it seems like I overfeed the veggies but I just put more in thinking "maybe THIS time they're hungry..."
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
Just ran some tests. Temp 72, pH 7.2, gh 6, kh 0-1, TDS 200, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Tank is covered with a thick layer of amazon frogbit which I assume is sucking up the nitrates. I test my tank every three days and these measurements have held steady. They readily molt, get berried, are active and seem very healthy.
I haven't kept Neos at that low of a KH before, but it sounds like others here do, so that probably isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
I can pick up some frozen bloodworms in the next day or so and try them. They don't react to frozen brine shrimp, not sure if that explains anything.

I add powdered food on Mondays and Thursday. I add a different blanched vegetable every other day and remove it after 90 minutes if it appears untouched.

Edit: I have some of Jake's calcium sticks in the mail, I'll see if they react to that.
I've found that the first few times I try a new food my shrimp will sometimes reject it. Maybe if you stopped the powdered food for a week they would get used to solid foods. The first time I tried Ken's veggie sticks, Earthworm sticks, and Barley straw my Taiwan Bees didn't touch it. After trying a few times, they learned to accept it, and now they go for it as soon as I drop it in the tank.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.