A Jewel of a Tank - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #256
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

haha
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #257
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aahh, this tank is so incredibly beautiful.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #258
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
Aahh, this tank is so incredibly beautiful.
Thank you

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #259
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Default Light Re-Do

I didn't like the looks of the first light so I made some changes. Got better sockets and a strain relief that I should have had on the original.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #260
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Default Antique Aquarium Microscope

I recently obtained this very rare antique aquarium microscope attributed to Collins of London and made c1860. I had never seen one outside of a museum and I got this from the collection of one of the world's foremost authorities on antique microscopes, Professor Yuval Goren, of the Tel Aviv University in Israel so I'm confident that it is an aquarium microscope.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #261
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh, it's beautiful! I'm so incredibly jealous. How amazing is it that you can find these things...!

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #262
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Whoa! Awesome tank/tanks and occupants
If only I had the time and money!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #263
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
Whoa! Awesome tank/tanks and occupants
If only I had the time and money!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, my wife has commented on both and she doesn't like the time or money spent on my current passion. She thinks I should do more mundane chores around the house. When I tell her that I can't let the forum subscribers down she's unconcerned, how rude! Although the saving money, paying off debts part she's probably right but then where's the fun in life if you don't have something that you enjoy doing?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #264
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrx View Post
Thanks, my wife has commented on both and she doesn't like the time or money spent on my current passion. She thinks I should do more mundane chores around the house. When I tell her that I can't let the forum subscribers down she's unconcerned, how rude! Although the saving money, paying off debts part she's probably right but then where's the fun in life if you don't have something that you enjoy doing?
Exactly... Seven tanks and counting. When I face and "defeat" one challenge, it opens me to a new one.

Have managed to keep and breed cherries,chocolates, tigers, crystals. Working on opae ula, then maybe some Sulawesi species of shrimp. And that's after growing orchids for many years getting many of those to grow and bloom successfully under lights.

Facing and conquering the challenges that our hobbies give us. If it wasn't for them, what would we live for? LOL!
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #265
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in Puyallup View Post
Exactly... Seven tanks and counting. When I face and "defeat" one challenge, it opens me to a new one.

Have managed to keep and breed cherries,chocolates, tigers, crystals. Working on opae ula, then maybe some Sulawesi species of shrimp. And that's after growing orchids for many years getting many of those to grow and bloom successfully under lights.

Facing and conquering the challenges that our hobbies give us. If it wasn't for them, what would we live for? LOL!
How true. I've been into plants since I was a little kid. I have old world succulents and terrariums with terrestrial orchids, micro sinningias, etc.. I've had some super rare succulents over the years but sold them all years ago to get into another hobby, collecting and restoring antique radios. I even had one of my plants end up in the Atlanta conservatory. I got to be on the local TV news out of Columbus, Ohio at the Franklin Park Conservatory years ago with my plants and I got one of my radios on the cover of a book and I authored one of the chapters in the book. I'm no longer into the radios and had my collection auctioned off but I got back into the succulents a little bit with a few rarities. I just wish I had a greenhouse, maybe someday. I still have several terrariums but they're becoming overgrown and need some attention. I was also into aquariums as a kid and got back into them a few years ago. I'm a lifelong hobbyist, without them I wouldn't be who I am. My ebay name is even serialhobbyist. I've tried to help my wife understand this but since she has no hobbies other than reading I won't ever be able to get her approval of them. My son is like his Mom but my daughter is into hobbies like me. She has a couple of dart frogs which I helped her get into with one as a Christmas present last year and I set her up with an Opae Ula bowl just like mine. But she lives in Maine so I don't get to see her as often as I'd like.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #266
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Well my Cardinals were doing pretty well and reproducing until I rescaped the tank back in Oct. I added two large Seiryu stones and a moss wall. The moss wall didn't do well even though I tried several different varieties of moss. I think the higher temps that Cardinals like, 82-83, in this tank and the alkaline pH aren't the best for moss. It was however, great for some kind of dark green slimy looking growth that started on the moss wall and started spreading to the rocks. The shrimp wouldn't touch it. Over the course of the 4 months after rescaping my Cardinals were all but gone.
So I decided that the stones and moss wall weren't helping them and I rescaped again. This time I used the smaller Seiryu stones like I originally had and also made a little cave for them out of the rocks and added a couple pieces of Mopani wood to the tank. I also added an Anubias nana variegata and decided to only run the Vuppa when necessary (when I notice a film on the surface) as the shrimp seem to be more active when it's off and the water is calm.
I only had three adult Cardinals and two babies up until this week when I added 12 more that I got from Liam.
I just noticed today that I have one female with either very mature eggs under her tail or babies before their release. So I'm hopeful I can rebuild the colony.
I also noticed within the last couple of weeks that I have planaria. I didn't have them before the rescape so I'm guessing they came with some of the moss I bought. I'm going to try using one of the Gush Catch Pens tonight to see if I can get rid of them. I don't want to use any chemicals because I have a nice colony of Tylomelanias with several babies in with the Cardinals and White Orchids (Starry Nights). I'm not sure if planaria are actually harmful to the shrimp but if they attack the babies then they definately need to go. It's hard enough to keep these shrimp and they're expensive enough that I'm not going to allow some flatworms to harm them.

Last edited by davrx; 02-18-2013 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Because I can
Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #267
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Default Rescape

Here's some photos of the latest rescape:

Old 06-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #268
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Default The end

I sold the shrimp and have cleaned out the tank. I will be listing it here and on ebay in the near future. If anyone is interested PM me. I'm asking $800 which is what I have in it. Thanks

Old 07-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #269
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Default Sold

Sold it to the same couple that bought my Victorian. It's going to a good home.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #270
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

I sold the antique aquarium microscope to the same collector that bought my unique brass aquarium with the underneath lighting, again going to a good home.