In-Line Heater or In-Tank Heater?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
marcnc
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

In-Line Heater or In-Tank Heater?

Trying to decide between the 2 for 90 gallon tank.

I am thinking in-line, but between the in-line heater, reactor will it cause problems with canister filter?

So used to having sump in the past, using canister is all new to me.

Thanks
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have typically used the in tank heaters since the inline heaters have only recently become more widely available. I have always hated having that big silver/glass stick in the tank and I have done anything possible to hide it while allowing it to do it's job.

I just ordered the Hydor inline heater for my latest project, a 40 breeder with a Fluval 306. If my experience is the same as those that have posted reviews, then I doubt I'll ever go back to the metal stick.

The inline heater and the reactor will have a reducing affect on the flow rate, but if you are using an appropriately sized filter, there should be some headroom to work with.

What sized canister are you using or planning to use?
Icegoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegoalie32 View Post
I have typically used the in tank heaters since the inline heaters have only recently become more widely available. I have always hated having that big silver/glass stick in the tank and I have done anything possible to hide it while allowing it to do it's job.

I just ordered the Hydor inline heater for my latest project, a 40 breeder with a Fluval 306. If my experience is the same as those that have posted reviews, then I doubt I'll ever go back to the metal stick.

The inline heater and the reactor will have a reducing affect on the flow rate, but if you are using an appropriately sized filter, there should be some headroom to work with.

What sized canister are you using or planning to use?
Thanks for the info.

I plan to get api filstar XL, it way more than I need but figured with the reactor and heater, it would be a good fit?
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Icegoalie32
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

According to the API website, the Filstar XP XL is 190 gallons per hour when filled with media. In my opinion, it'll work great.
Icegoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you haven't bought your filter yet you could consider buying two and running the reactor and heater on seperate filters. Or look around for a smaller used filter to run one of them. It would help to increase flow in the tank.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.