API CO2 booster does it work??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
iant
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

API CO2 booster does it work??

Hi guys, Has anybody used this product and what do you think about it?
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Optix
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

its the same as Excel...so yes it works for smaller tanks....but CO2 is cheaper in the long run
ΔΙΡΤ Fraternity, Inc. #33
Optix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Finney
Algae Grower

It will also burn certain plants. Use it with caution. It is basically the same chemical makeup as embalming fluid. Definitely just spend the money upfront on pressurized co2. You'll save in the long run
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Wannaberooted
Green is good

I think it's great, and is cheap and easy to control on a smaller tank, like my 20g. I project my big bottle to last 8 months or so, less than a buck 50 a month. I had bad effects if I put too much in though. Stick to the directions.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Akira
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Akira

Redditor??
Eheim Pimp #292

Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
It will also burn certain plants. Use it with caution. It is basically the same chemical makeup as embalming fluid. Definitely just spend the money upfront on pressurized co2. You'll save in the long run
API CO2 Booster/Excel is a dilute solution of glutaraldehyde. Embalming fluid is mostly formaldehyde, which is different.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
stevekx500
Algae Grower

Yes it works. My dad has used it 4 a while now, couple yrs I believe. He loves it. Me on the other hand, well, I refer co2 injection n my planted tanks... Jut sayin. It does work though. Either way, we are both trimming our tanks every weekend
stevekx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
Finney
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
API CO2 Booster/Excel is a dilute solution of glutaraldehyde. Embalming fluid is mostly formaldehyde, which is different.
Glutaraldehyde is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor used to sterilize medical and dental equipment. It is also used for industrial water treatment and as a chemical preservative. However, it is toxic, causing severe eye, nose, throat and lung irritation, along with headaches, drowsiness and dizziness.

Glutaraldehyde is an oily liquid at room temperature (density 1.06 g/mL), and miscible with water, alcohol, and benzene. It is used as a tissue fixative in electron microscopy. It is employed as an embalming fluid, is a component of leather tanning solutions, and occurs as an intermediate in the production of certain industrial chemicals. Glutaraldehyde is frequently used in biochemistry applications as an amine-reactive homobifunctional crosslinker. The oligomeric state of proteins can be examined through this application.

Monomeric glutaraldehyde can polymerize by aldol condensation reaction yielding alpha,beta-unsaturated poly-glutaraldehyde. This reaction usually occurs at alkaline pH values.

Uses
A glutaraldehyde solution of 0.1% to 1.0% concentration may be used for system disinfection and as a preservative for long term storage.

Glutaraldehyde is used in biological electron microscopy as a fixative. It kills cells quickly by crosslinking their proteins and is usually employed alone or mixed with formaldehyde as the first of two fixative processes to stabilize specimens such as bacteria, plant material, and human cells. A second fixative procedure uses osmium tetroxide to crosslink and stabilise cell and organelle membrane lipids. Fixation is usually followed by dehydration of the tissue in ethanol or acetone, followed by embedment in an epoxy resin or acrylic resin.

Glutaraldehyde is also used in SDS-PAGE to fix proteins and peptides prior to staining. Typically, a gel is treated with a 5% solution for approximately one half hour, after which it must be thoroughly washed to remove the yellow stain brought about by reacting with free tris.

A polymerized isomer of glutaraldehyde trademarked as polycycloglutaracetal by Seachem Laboratories, Inc. is the active ingredient in a product called Flourish Excel, a fertilizer for aquatic plants. It is claimed that it provides a bioavailable source of carbon for higher plants that is not available to algae. Though not marketed as such due to federal regulations, the biocidal effect of glutaraldehyde kills most algae at concentrations of 0.5 - 5.0 ppm. These levels are not harmful to most aquatic fauna and flora. Adverse reactions have been observed by some aquarists at these concentrations in some aquatic mosses, liverworts, and vascular plants.[citation needed]

Check out the msds for it. This is info I got from someone who works at seachem. I researched it due a bad rash I got from some of my excel getting on my hand.
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #9
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
Check out the msds for it. This is info I got from someone who works at seachem. I researched it due a bad rash I got from some of my excel getting on my hand.
Don't worry, I read the MSDS when I ordered it. I use the 25% stuff from JT Baker

I'm surprised it is used in embalming; I knew it was used in tissue fixation and electron microscopy. I would suppose it'd used in embalming when mixed with formaldehyde.

The things you learn in this hobby

Back to the original topic though; yes, glutaraldehyde can be toxic to more sensitive plants (Vallisneria spp. comes to mind immediately), but if it is dosed according to Seachem's directions, I have never had problems with it.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
iant
Planted Member

very informative guys. I always thought i'd get more answer than just YES or NO. Thank you all
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Gootz
Algae Grower

Bump for a REALLY informative thread. Thanks!
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote