Help with pygmy cories
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Help with pygmy cories

I have pygmy cories in a 12 gallon edge. I lost a few over a matter of days. They were added to the tank about 2 weeks ago.

I think I lost the first one because of ammonia. The tank was cycled but I think the number of fish added created a small amount of ammonia (looks like a little less than 0.25). I've been doing daily water changes since then and there has been zero ammonia for 3 days now (it has been zero since the first water change I did after I discovered ammonia). The latest test results are shown below.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

I'm also concerned that they may not be getting food. I've been trying all kinds of food. Daphnia, ground freeze dried brine shrimp, micro pellets, grated blood worms and algae pellets. I still haven't seen then eat properly. I feel terrible for them and I want to make sure I don't lose anymore so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Other inhabitants: 3 danio erythromicron which seem to be doing just fine (got them at the same time)

Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I give mine shrimp sticks that fall to the substrate and earthworm sticks. They are for bottom dwellers such as cory's and mine love them,. I've never seen any Cory I've ever had eat algae wafers that I drop for others pleco's that I have, or go near zuchinni or cucumber. If you go into a petco and look at the food you'll see little bags with pictures of Cory's on them, they will sink and they will eat. Good luck with you fish
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
plantedtankfan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would recommend Hikari Sinking Wafers
plantedtankfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you both. I'll give it a shot. The food sinks to the bottom right now too but I just don't see them eating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.