Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 64
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #946
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

They discontinued the English AJ due to 'lack of interest,' or something to that effect.

I have no idea when they anticipate a release of the intl site.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #947
Xalyx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where did you get all this dwarf riccia? Isn't it hard to buy? Where can I get some?
Xalyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #948
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Is dwarf ricca different from ricca?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #949
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - What is Wabi Sabi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Is dwarf ricca different from ricca?
Yup. It also floats unless tied down, but it is more compact and far denser.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #950
Xalyx
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Yup. It also floats unless tied down, but it is more compact and far denser.
That's all fine and dandy but meaningless if it can't be obtained.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #951
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - What is Wabi Sabi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
That's all fine and dandy but meaningless if it can't be obtained.
Hey now :/ my answer wasn't meaningless.

In fact I know of a seller, so be nice.

F2plata, I believe is his name, has a picture of an older car in his profile. He has some and grows it.

I was about to buy some simply for its rarity, but I didn't because I have nowhere to put it.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #952
Xalyx
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Hey now :/ my answer wasn't meaningless.

In fact I know of a seller, so be nice.

F2plata, I believe is his name, has a picture of an older car in his profile. He has some and grows it.

I was about to buy some simply for its rarity, but I didn't because I have nowhere to put it.
Incorrect name I think
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #953
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
Incorrect name I think
I only use normal Riccia Fluitans - the moss in the new layout is peacock moss.

I achieve small size in Riccia with frequent trimming and higher co2 concentrations and nutrient density. When I get these aquariums to fully grown in, I am typically running 3-4 times the initial recommended dosage for fertilizers.

This same technique can be used for E. Tennellus - which will grow quite large when left alone, trimming to the base Helps maintain a smaller size.

Often, the size of a plant isn't a new sp. of that plant, but small growing size is achieved with good trimming and dosing technique.

For example - E. Acicularis and E. Parvula will grow to about 8 inches left alone, but frequent trimming can train this plant to stay about 3-4 inches instead.

The same with stems - trimming them will keep lea sizes smaller and create denser foliage.

So the lesson here is that mastery and cultivation comes through proper care (trimming) technique, rather than specific species or sub species. The same practice comes into play with plant color.

In two tanks with the same dosing regime, one with frequent trimming (tank A) and the other with almost none( tank b), E. Tennelus is growing.

In tank A, Tenellus grows shorter and keeps a blood-red bronze coloration mixed with greens.

In tank B, tennellus over grows and becomes taller (about 12"), and the bronze coloration fades out to a light shade of green.

The trimming induces tennellus to regrow where it maintains it's beautiful bronze color before it "grows out of it."

In Rotala Colorata, as the thicket is repeatedly trimmed back, the stem size stays tinier as it is covering ground (e.g. It hasn't grown to full size yet). The tips maintain a gradien coloration between deep red at the top and yellow at the bottom. However as the leaf ages it turns more yellowish and eventually is green, so left alone only the top portion would be the brilliant autumnal color.

Think of the aquatic plants growth as a flower blooming - once it has bloomed it "peaks" and the plant grows beyond that stage. What we want to do is repeatedly maintain the plant in the most pleasant temporary state, which is achieved through trimming at the appropriate times. Overgrown plants are rarely a good thing aesthetically, unless you are specifically looking for the plant to be in it's "overgrown form."

So if we think of plants in terms of emmersed forms and submersed forms as the most obvious, then there are "sub forms" of the submersed forms (this is not technically, scientifically correct, but for understanding is easiest to visualize and think of).

Of those "sub forms" there are three stages - initial growth / re growth, where the plant part is spreading out a runner or a new plantlet or regrowing a stem. This form is usuall the smallest and has a slightly pale coloration.

The second and usually most "ideal" form is the maturing phase, where the plant has it's deepest / most brilliant coloration and the plant is of medium size (relative to max growth of that plant). This would be where tenellus is about 3-4 inches and has primarily bronze colors.

The third is overgrown or aged phase - where the plant has gone beyond full maturation and is now at or beyond maximum size - colors usually change again and are a little more faded or deeper in color depending on species. sometimes this coloration could be much different (like red to yellow to green in R. Colorata) or more subtle shades (like popping vibrant green to darker / subdued green in HC).

Another way to think of it is in terms of a human baby growing up and going through adolescence to teenage to adulthood to old age.

So in trimming we effectively restart the process again at initial growth and want to constantly be in the maturation phase.

This is also why it is important for you to learn a couple key species and to reuse them in your layouts so you can master their growth and phase patterns to make increasingly more complex layouts.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #954
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Great points made there, Frank, and once again, making this one of the coolest threads ever.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #955
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Thanks!

I have a few photos to update this with, I had an incident happen in the aquarium that's useful to teach off of, but I've been too busy to get the photos off the camera and tend to forget (then when I remember I don't have the SD card on me!!).

Essentially what happened is, I used pure RODI water and caused the Moss to brown out since there was no pH buffer at all - due to a lack of aqua soil and no stones that raise / alter pH. The moss is recovering now that I'm not being lazy and adding back in equilibrium, but it's a great example of a problem that can happen quickly and is completely preventable with a step.

But, the road to recovery should prove useful as an instructional tool - at least no algae has shown up yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #956
Xalyx
Planted Member

Ok I know where to buy regular riccia, although still rare.

As for my next question, how did all these people become your students, where can I attend such a university?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #957
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Nothing too special! Just ask questions, learn from the principles I've set out and have an attitude that's willing to be challenged. It's a laissez-faire one on one type deal. Just message or call me with specific questions and follow the system and take pictures of your results!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #958
Xalyx
Planted Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Nothing too special! Just ask questions, learn from the principles I've set out and have an attitude that's willing to be challenged. It's a laissez-faire one on one type deal. Just message or call me with specific questions and follow the system and take pictures of your results!
Definitely going to take you up on that offer but it's going to be late 2013/Early 2014 before I have all the money for a full ADA Mini S set. So my wait is long... but I'm going all out and cutting no corners so in the end it'll be worth it. I look at it as the cup is half full... this means that I have a year to envision my layout!! I have the flora list down to 98% completion (can't decide between HC and Riccia).

Visualize my scape... Can't wait.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #959
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

In the mean time you may want to pick up copies of TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist) magazine for January to April 2013 - I have an article series running in there for that length that goes over the whole process from a different perspective.

I think they can be found at barnes and nobles or somewhere like that.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #960
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Re: Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - What is Wabi Sabi?

Frank did you find the small unzan was very buoyant

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.