48 x 18 x 18 High Tech Rimless Build (photo heavy) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #16
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Reef Fanatic CO2 regulator. Its well loved and a little corroded from being close to salt water for so long, but still runs like a champ.

These are my bubble magus tubing holders. These mount on the back of the aquarium and hold my dosing tubes in place discretely. I will only need one of these, so I have to see which one I can clean up better.

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I have not quite decided what I am going to do with my Mangroves yet. These were growing in my refugium for a couple of years and are pretty tall now. Two of them have even grown new branches.

I have toyed with the idea of acclimating these to fresh water and including them in my aquascape somehow, or possibly just potting them and growing them next to the tank (there will lots of light around it)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #18
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I'm not too sure if I am going to end up using this device or not. This is a Pump Control interface for the Controllable Hydor Korallia pumps. I have 4 of the Controllable Korallia 4's and two of these pump controllers. I suspect I may just use the single Ecotech MP10wES but its nice to know I have some backups.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

These will be my Moonlight/Sunrise/Sunset LED effects. These are the GHL Simu Spots. They stopped making these, but mine all still work so I have hung on to them. The lens covers have cracked (this was a problem with the first gen versions of these) but electrically they are still sound. I will be hiding these in the suspended hood.

Each one of these has White/Blue/Red LED's. You can set the amount of white/Blue but they dim together (so you can make them deep blue, light blue or white blue). The red LED's operate separately so you can fill in some visual reds that are typically lacking when using a blue heavy mix of LED's like I will be using. These are cosmetic only and don't offer any practical usage for growth.

A side note, you can program these to respond to lightning flashes as well. I will have one spot on the left as "Lightning 1" two in the middle as "Lightning 1+2" and one on the right as "Lightning 2". The generated effect is that you will see lightning flashes that appear to be coming from the left or the right of the tank, with some overlap in the middle. The two ELN-60-48P modules will also be set up as: Left = Lightning 1, Right = Lightning 2 causing the pendants on the sides to flash as well (will be quite bright)
Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

There are some repairs to be made to several of the LED arrays. Time has not been too kind to some of the pendants that have previously been mounted too close to salt water and a few solder joints (that I must have made poorly) have let go. Nothing a couple of rounds with a soldering iron wont fix.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #21
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

This is a marineland double bright LED strip. I won this off a table at Macna a few years ago and was previously using it to grow my mangroves (works like a charm). I am planning on running this light over the 14 gallon quarantine tank that will reside in the stand.

I am hoping to aquire a zebra pleco (or two) for this tank, so I fully intend on having a fully operational QT tank beforehand. This light will be complete overkill, but I have it already, and it fits the 14 gallon perfectly. Might as well use it.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #22
Conrad283
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

This is gonna be an awesome build
Conrad283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 AM   #23
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad283 View Post
This is gonna be an awesome build
I hope so! Ive been collecting this equipment for many many years. It was a tough decision to shut down the reef tank but its exciting to be able to use all my gear to do a planted tank again. I know its kind of overkill but Id rather use it then have it collecting dust.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #24
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Phew, another hard day behind me. The reef is totally shut down, sold off and all parts have been picked up. I found a couple more useful things in the process too!

First of all, I found a bucket of natural river gravel from a former tank. This will become the substrate in the QT tank, and may become part of the negative space in the main display.

And then there is this lovely piece of sexiness. This is a battery backup for Ecotech pumps! This will provide many many hours of runtime on the Ecotech MP10wES so in the event of a power failure my tank will at least have water circulation. I bought this off of a reef store before it closed down (clearance sale). It was missing a power supply (I have TONS of extras) so I picked it up for about 75% off.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #25
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Are you going to plumb the auto dosing inline?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Most likely not. I have attempted that in the past and ran into problems where a venturi effect would draw extra fluid through to doser or the pressure in the line would push water into the dosing lines.

Im going to bracket the lines to the rear of the aquarium. Im debating making an acrylic housing that would hide the bracket and lines. Thats some finishing detail work that I wont be looking at for a few weeks
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Oops duplicate post. Disregard.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #28
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

MP10 Upgrade time!

Had some free time tonight so I decided to upgrade the MP10 to an MP10wES. Here is the process:

Original pump controller:

Opened:

The parts required for conversion:

Wireless daughterboard installed and motor cable connected:

Installed in new housing:

Presto! One fully operational MP10wES. Pump works perfectly but the wet side assembly is really gunked up with a lot of coraline growth from the reef tank. I will pick up a new assembly this week.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #29
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
Most likely not. I have attempted that in the past and ran into problems where a venturi effect would draw extra fluid through to doser or the pressure in the line would push water into the dosing lines.

Im going to bracket the lines to the rear of the aquarium. Im debating making an acrylic housing that would hide the bracket and lines. Thats some finishing detail work that I wont be looking at for a few weeks
Ok so maybe its a finishing detail that I will think about in less then an hour. I realized I still have to find a way to mount/hide my probes. I think I'll be able to manufacture a small acrylic box that slides over the tubing bracket, and contains brackets to mount the probes. If I make it out of black acrylic it will blend in to the background of the tank (which will also be painted black).

I'll whip something up in google sketch up in the next couple of days and see if one of the local acrylic shops can cut me the pieces.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #30
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
Ok so maybe its a finishing detail that I will think about in less then an hour. I realized I still have to find a way to mount/hide my probes. I think I'll be able to manufacture a small acrylic box that slides over the tubing bracket, and contains brackets to mount the probes. If I make it out of black acrylic it will blend in to the background of the tank (which will also be painted black).

I'll whip something up in google sketch up in the next couple of days and see if one of the local acrylic shops can cut me the pieces.
Curious to see what you come up with here.

Quote:
Pump works perfectly but the wet side assembly is really gunked up with a lot of coraline growth from the reef tank. I will pick up a new assembly this week.
Why not soak the wet end in undiluted White Vinegar, or is it worn as well?

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote