First Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

First Planted Tank


Hello everyone,

This is my first planted tank and first post on this site!

I am in the proces of turning my 10G betta tank into a planted tank. Here's my setup so far

Standard 10G tank with small HOB filter using filter floss and biomax
Standard incodecent fixture with two 23W 6500K CFLs
25W Heater
One betta

Here's what I plan to add:
Begin dosing with Flourish after a month
Flourish plant tabs

Plants:
1 Red Flame
1 Hygrophila, Temple Narrow Leaf - Bunch Plant
1 Micro Sword
2 Anubias Nana
2 Anubias hastifolia
1 Wisteria
3 Java Ferns

Here's my questions:
What do you think of this setup and plant selection?
Should I add CO2?
Should I add flourite or some sort of plant substrate?

Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated!
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
rileynapalm
Algae Grower
 
rileynapalm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 103
Default

i think you may be okay to pass on flourite and save a couple dollars. a majority of your plants are water column feeders. the wisteria (can be planted or can be left floating) is going to be a good "nitrate sucker" and the ferns and anubias should be allowed to root on wood or rocks. i wouldn't suggest burying them in the substrate. your other plants that do get rooted will probably be okay with just some tabs underneath the roots. these will also be okay without Co2 and in low light.

your microsword will like fertile substrate and high light though.

make sure to keep your temple leaf dosed with iron. it craves it!
__________________
-29 gallon South American
--15 gallon black neon habitat
---I like fish. They don't talk back, bark or pee on the floor.
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

Thanks for the reply! I could swap out the microsword for something else. Any other good foreground suggestions?
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
iant
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 174
Default

I 100% agree with riley. I have close to identical setup to your plant and its been running close to 3 months now. I only use fine gravel and root tabs and my swords are happy. You may wanna keep an eye on the 2x 23w (i'm assuming its the spiral fluorescent) light for overheating the tank. I find out early that I have to completely turn off my heater and open my windows to cool the room and my tank. Also my micro sword are doing ok. it just grew a little longer trying to get more light.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
rileynapalm
Algae Grower
 
rileynapalm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinds78 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I could swap out the microsword for something else. Any other good foreground suggestions?

sure thing! I'm trying dwarf sag as a foreground currently. it looks similar to the microsword. The only problem i've heard is that it grows pretty tall under a lower light setting. you may need to trim it when it gets taller. I'm not exactly sure where you'd fall in the lighting category. I'm also trying dwarf baby tears which is supposed to be REALLY hard without Co2.

From what you have as a light setup now that i re-read it, you may be okay to give the microwsword a try. I'll have to have a second opinion on that, but I bet if it doesn't work out, pygmy chain sword may work out well for you!
__________________
-29 gallon South American
--15 gallon black neon habitat
---I like fish. They don't talk back, bark or pee on the floor.
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

Thanks for the great replies!

I saw some one growing micro sword on youtube with my lightening setup and it seemed to work ok. That's what inspired me to try plus I like like the way it looked in front of a big rock.

I do have the spiral CFLs and they do get quite warm. Fortunately, my betta doesn't seem to mind. I may have to keep an eye on it during the summer. Right now I have them on for about 12 hours day and it seems ok. Is that a good light period for plants or do they need more like 16 hours?
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
iant
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 174
Default

10 to 12hrs the most. I put a nightlight if I still wanna enjoy it after that.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iant View Post
10 to 12hrs the most. I put a nightlight if I still wanna enjoy it after that.
Ok, great! Before I order my plants i plan to get a light timer.
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileynapalm View Post
i think you may be okay to pass on flourite and save a couple dollars. a majority of your plants are water column feeders. the wisteria (can be planted or can be left floating) is going to be a good "nitrate sucker" and the ferns and anubias should be allowed to root on wood or rocks. i wouldn't suggest burying them in the substrate. your other plants that do get rooted will probably be okay with just some tabs underneath the roots. these will also be okay without Co2 and in low light.

your microsword will like fertile substrate and high light though.

make sure to keep your temple leaf dosed with iron. it craves it!
Oh yes, forgot to ask this. If the plants use up the nitrates should i stop the biological filtration or do they not need that much?
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
thebuddha's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 585
Default

from my understanding, 8 hours seems to be the common/mean photoperiod. but i have read of people who go anywhere from 6-12 hours

and i had a 10g petsmart kit and 2x 23w spiral CFL bulbs made some pretty large temperature swings in such a small tank. i would recommend trying out the 13w bulbs if you can find them.



also, whats your substrate now?
thebuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
iant
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 174
Default

Always a good idea to keep your HOB running unless you plan on a low tech setup (heavily planted and few fish). your HOB will compete with the plants for ammonia and convert it to nitrite/nitrate which your plant can take up anyways.
iant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
from my understanding, 8 hours seems to be the common/mean photoperiod. but i have read of people who go anywhere from 6-12 hours

and i had a 10g petsmart kit and 2x 23w spiral CFL bulbs made some pretty large temperature swings in such a small tank. i would recommend trying out the 13w bulbs if you can find them.



also, whats your substrate now?
Ya, I've had a hard time finding the 13W 6500k CFLs. I may try again tho as they do seem to really warm up the water.

Right now I just have basic black gravel. I purchased some flourish liquid and plant tabs to add in once I get the plants.
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
thebuddha's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinds78 View Post
Ya, I've had a hard time finding the 13W 6500k CFLs. I may try again tho as they do seem to really warm up the water.

Right now I just have basic black gravel. I purchased some flourish liquid and plant tabs to add in once I get the plants.
just dug through the storage closet and looked at the old 10g while i was in there. apparently the bulbs i was using were 9w not 13w.
i found them at menards. they worked fine for my crypts, anubias, and java fern. who knows, they may work for you too.
thebuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
chinds78
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Platteville, WI
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
just dug through the storage closet and looked at the old 10g while i was in there. apparently the bulbs i was using were 9w not 13w.
i found them at menards. they worked fine for my crypts, anubias, and java fern. who knows, they may work for you too.
I'm surprised, that's not even 2W/gallon. I guess those are all low light plants tho. I may downgrade to at least the 13W bulbs.
chinds78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
rileynapalm
Algae Grower
 
rileynapalm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinds78 View Post
Oh yes, forgot to ask this. If the plants use up the nitrates should i stop the biological filtration or do they not need that much?

Don't stop the filtration. Just get some KNO3 dry fertilizer and add it into your aquarium. You may have enough fish and a small amount of plants to where you don't need to dose nitrates. Just keep an eye on it by testing every couple of days and see what your tank is doing. =]
__________________
-29 gallon South American
--15 gallon black neon habitat
---I like fish. They don't talk back, bark or pee on the floor.
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
co2, flourite, newbie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012