Anyone feeding with Omega One Veggie Flakes?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Anyone feeding with Omega One Veggie Flakes?

I've been feeding my fish Tetra Crisps which they love - besides the frozen bloodworm treats, fresh veggies, etc. - but recently I stumbled on a site that had food reviews based on ingredient analysis. I was surprised that they rated the Tetra Crisps very low - something like 1.5 out of a possible 5. They rated Omega One food very high - 4.5 out of 5. So now that I'm nearly out of Crisps I bought a small can of Omega One Super Color Flakes to try.

First thing I noticed was that they are ultra thin flakes (unlike the UFO shaped mini discs the Tetra Crisps look like) and they float for a long time at the surface, unlike the Crisps which sink very slowly. So I remedied the flakes floating by simply putting the flakes into the water about 1" below the surface - I don't want my fish gulping air while feeding. The second thing I noticed was that my fish go gonzo for the Omega One! And I thought they liked the Tetra - haha. None of the food seems to escape them & get to the bottom, which always happened with a small amount of the Tetra. The Omega One does disintegrate a lot faster, not sure about that. On one hand my fish are mostly tetras with tiny throats so smaller particles are better, but if they are not eating the minuscule bits it's polluting the water.

Anyhow, there is a seller on Aqua Bid that sells Omega One in bulk for a fantastic price. I've bought from him before (not food) and his service is great. So today I took the plunge and bought a pound of the Omega One Veggie Flakes since my tetras should have a higher veggie-to-meat protein and this food should help me get more veggie matter into their diet.

Anyone here feed Omega One Veggie Flakes?
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

It's in my regular rotation of foods--pretty much a staple for my endlers, though my black neons tetras tend to hold out for better unless I skip a day of feeding before offering it (they much prefer freeze dried tubifex and blood worms). The endlers are great at scouring the plants and bottom for even tiny bits left--and I've shrimp, snails and cories in my larger tanks to clean up leftovers.

Overall, I try to maintain a wide variety of foods--shrimp pellets, algae wafers, veggies and fruit, live and freezedried food, etc. Flakes have a role, but I don't like depending on them as a sole food source.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I used to feed it to my goldfish - I try to feed more plant protein when it's appropriate for the species. She's too big for them now, but I'm guessing you won't have that problem. Aside from being far more appealing than Tetra crisps, I think the Omega One just made her healthier. She looked better - and strangely enough, I had better plant growth, too. I think it's one of the better commercial brands, although no food is perfect.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Look into www.AlmostNaturalTropicalFishFood.com
Whole fish and shellfish, spirulina and other algae, other natural ingredients like earthworms and many other specialty foods.
Better prices than Omega One.
Fast shipping.
The foods are vacuum packed.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.