First Planted Tank 55g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
thedocta45
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First Planted Tank 55g

Tank: 55g
Filter: Petco Power Filter 65.
Lighting: 2 random lights
Heater: 200w Tetra
Substrate: Flourite
Flora: I am not to sure could use some help here. Red Root Floater, Amazon sword, Water Sprite, some type of Crypt, Anacharis, some sort of grass, and two others I am unsure of.
Fauna: 6x Prestilla Tetra, 3x Ornate Tetra, Dwarf Albino Pleco, 10 pink zebra danios, 6x Sydonis Ocellifer Cat, 10x Cherry Red Shrimp, 6x Assassin Snails, and a bunch of random snails.

My first tank in about 20 years or so, got the itch when my gf brought home an adopted goldfish. Got a free tank filter and some tank lights.
Started looking online and found planted tanks and said hey that looks like fun.
I kinda jumped in not really having a plan, and I would probably make a few changes if I started over again.
But I like winging it, and planning is for the second tank.

So here are some pics.

2/15/2013

Early Feb/Late Jan 2013

Last edited by thedocta45; 02-16-2013 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: update
thedocta45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
thedocta45
Algae Grower

So looking for some advice on how to proceed and some help identifying plants. I really just bought stuff I liked the look of.

Here are some close up pics I took today. I cleaned the intake off after I took the pictures, but any and all advice is appreciated.

g

Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
TheRiverRat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am pretty terrible at identifying plants hahah, but I am pretty sure the first picture of the second post is a crypt wendtii 'red' with anarachis in the back. Not so sure I see an amazon sword in there. I think the last pic far left back plant is a type of crypt also, but then again I am a plant n00b so I could be wrong again. I think the watersprite is the cool fern looking plant. As for the grass maybe micro sword or some real small jungle val.

I am in the same boat as you kind of just started up my first real planted tank in a 55. My only suggestion would be to maybe get a t-5 light, I think some of your plants might struggle with the current lights you have.

Crypts are looking really healthy! Excited to see the tank evolve and get thick with plants. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
rileynapalm
Algae Grower

the second picture appears to be water wisteria on the left haha. that's about as much as i can input!
rileynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
thedocta45
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiverRat View Post
I am pretty terrible at identifying plants hahah, but I am pretty sure the first picture of the second post is a crypt wendtii 'red' with anarachis in the back. Not so sure I see an amazon sword in there. I think the last pic far left back plant is a type of crypt also, but then again I am a plant n00b so I could be wrong again. I think the watersprite is the cool fern looking plant. As for the grass maybe micro sword or some real small jungle val.

I am in the same boat as you kind of just started up my first real planted tank in a 55. My only suggestion would be to maybe get a t-5 light, I think some of your plants might struggle with the current lights you have.

Crypts are looking really healthy! Excited to see the tank evolve and get thick with plants. Good luck!
Well cool thanks for that, I was pretty sure its an amazon sword, but who knows. I think the grass is a micro sword, going to look into that.

Lighting is one of the things I am considering upgrading, I am currently risking sunlight as my main light source, so I am going to see how that goes.

Its a north facing window so it should be consistent light.

As far as cutting the plants to help them propagate are there any good guides on that. Most of what I have found has been basic.

I know now I should have clipped the crypts roots to help it grow, but lesson learned.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
thedocta45
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileynapalm View Post
the second picture appears to be water wisteria on the left haha. that's about as much as i can input!

Water wisteria it is.

Thanks much.

I really need to pick up some ferts this weekend or next, going to look at picking up a shop light and modding it to sit on top of the tank.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
karce87
Long-time Lurker

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to karce87

the grass is dwarf sagittaria. to the left of it is some kind of bacopa
karce87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
thedocta45
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by karce87 View Post
the grass is dwarf sagittaria. to the left of it is some kind of bacopa

Yeah that Wisteria did terrible half of it died. However given the quality of the plants from my lfs, I am not surprised. After seeing some of the other options I am shocked how bad the quality is.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
rileynapalm
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedocta45 View Post
Water wisteria it is.

Thanks much.

I really need to pick up some ferts this weekend or next, going to look at picking up a shop light and modding it to sit on top of the tank.
If you'd like, you can see how a clamp style shop light looks on one of my tanks. i've got some pictures on my 15 gallon. the link is in my signature. so far i'm pretty happy with it.

Also, a great ferts site is http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2

i usually get my package within three or four days!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
thedocta45
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileynapalm View Post
If you'd like, you can see how a clamp style shop light looks on one of my tanks. i've got some pictures on my 15 gallon. the link is in my signature. so far i'm pretty happy with it.

Also, a great ferts site is http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2

i usually get my package within three or four days!
Yeah I been looking at that site about 40 bucks after all is said and done for a pound of all the ferts.

Yeah I'm playing the lights by ear right now.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
rileynapalm
Algae Grower

also, the plant on the right in the second to last picture could also be a form of hygrophilia difformis that was grown emersed. google that and see if it matches up with what you have.